Tony Tuioti named DL Coach at Oregon

seaofred92

I think Dawson is probably on par with Tuioti coaching wise.  I just don't think Dawson is a great recruiter.  It seemed like Tuioti would have us in the top 2-3 for lots of really good targets but couldn't ever get any of them to come here, I bet that was frustrating for him.  He's kind of been a job hopper thus far in his career I think Oregon is probably an ideal spot for him though.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Hell, I don’t see why not. Does anyone have a spare kilo of pure Colombian uncut lying around to use as a signing bonus? 

48 minutes ago, ZRod said:

No, but I'm sure one of the boosters has a daughter who's single.

52633021.jpg

Let's be thorough here...

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, Farms said:

I think Dawson is probably on par with Tuioti coaching wise.  I just don't think Dawson is a great recruiter.  It seemed like Tuioti would have us in the top 2-3 for lots of really good targets but couldn't ever get any of them to come here, I bet that was frustrating for him.  He's kind of been a job hopper thus far in his career I think Oregon is probably an ideal spot for him though.

The projected starters on the defensive line for 2022 all were recruited by Dawson. At one time he was considered a decent east coast recruiter. Guess we will see once the puzzle is put together. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

We'll see.  TT was arguably our best position coach.

From Huskers.com:

In Dawson’s first year at Nebraska in 2018, his defensive line featured a pair of All-Big Ten performers and helped key a Blackshirts unit that moved up 27 spots in the national scoring defense rankings from the 2017 season. The line helped Nebraska total 25 sacks, 11 more than the Huskers recorded the previous season. 

In addition to the pressure created by the defensive line, the unit also helped the Huskers post the ninth-most pass breakups in school history (58). Carlos Davis led the line with five breakups, the most by a Husker defensive lineman since Ndamukong Suh had nine in 2009. Carlos and his twin brother, Khalil, were both all-conference performers in 2018, as Khalil led the defensive line with 41 tackles, eight tackles for loss and 3.0 sacks.

In 2017, Dawson’s defensive line helped UCF post the first perfect season in program history and in the history of the American Athletic Conference when UCF finished 13-0 as the nation’s only undefeated team. The Knights ranked third in the league in scoring defense and fourth in rushing defense. Two of his three starting defensive linemen earned all-conference accolades, including Jamiyus Pittman, a member of the Outland Trophy watch list who was an All-AAC performer for the second straight season.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

We'll see.  TT was arguably our best position coach.

I think you could make the argument that he's been the 3rd best position coach on the defensive side of the ball.

It's a loss, for sure, but a lot of the guys he had success with this last year were 5th and 6th year guys. Maybe it was Tuioti, maybe it was all that experience in the program. Probably combination of both.

• Fire 2
6 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

From Huskers.com:

In Dawson’s first year at Nebraska in 2018, his defensive line featured a pair of All-Big Ten performers and helped key a Blackshirts unit that moved up 27 spots in the national scoring defense rankings from the 2017 season. The line helped Nebraska total 25 sacks, 11 more than the Huskers recorded the previous season. 

In addition to the pressure created by the defensive line, the unit also helped the Huskers post the ninth-most pass breakups in school history (58). Carlos Davis led the line with five breakups, the most by a Husker defensive lineman since Ndamukong Suh had nine in 2009. Carlos and his twin brother, Khalil, were both all-conference performers in 2018, as Khalil led the defensive line with 41 tackles, eight tackles for loss and 3.0 sacks.

In 2017, Dawson’s defensive line helped UCF post the first perfect season in program history and in the history of the American Athletic Conference when UCF finished 13-0 as the nation’s only undefeated team. The Knights ranked third in the league in scoring defense and fourth in rushing defense. Two of his three starting defensive linemen earned all-conference accolades, including Jamiyus Pittman, a member of the Outland Trophy watch list who was an All-AAC performer for the second straight season.

Yea, he's definitely a good replacement.  Hopefully we continue to see the same success.

8 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think you could make the argument that he's been the 3rd best position coach on the defensive side of the ball.

It's a loss, for sure, but a lot of the guys he had success with this last year were 5th and 6th year guys. Maybe it was Tuioti, maybe it was all that experience in the program. Probably combination of both.

Behind Fisher and who..Dawson?  I agree with your last statement...which is kinda what I see with Dawson and the Davis twins.  Although, Dawson has had success elsewhere.

Just now, RedSavage said:

Yea, he's definitely a good replacement.  Hopefully we continue to see the same success.

Behind Fisher and who..Dawson?  I agree with your last statement...which is kinda what I see with Dawson and the Davis twins.  Although, Dawson has had success elsewhere.

I'd say Fisher and Ruud or Dawson. Maybe both. The ILBs have been pretty good under Ruud.

• Haha 1

So does Tuioti leaving for Oregon mean he stinks and we're glad to get rid of him aka HB's approach to how view recruits who don't come to Nebraska?  Or, does him going to a much better program means he was a good coach that we correctly identified and are happy to have had on the staff?  SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO THINK!!!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Farms said:

Welcome to life on 1-2 year contracts.