The Batman

• 2 months later...

Just got home from watching it. Absolutely loved it - this is the Batman movie I've been wanting for years. Grim, grounded, detective crime flick that explores the man as much as the cowl.

My real only complaint is that I would've loved if it was rated R. They went as far as the could with the brutality of Batman and also of the world around him, but couldn't go as far as they really wanted. 

• Plus1 1

I sort of wish the DC universe will embrace the same tone and thematic elements as Joker and The Batman moving forward. These are unquestionable hits for these comic book characters and far outweigh what's been done with their Marvel-like like approach via Aquaman, Justice League, etc.

My only non-spoiler complaints about The Batman were I felt it ran just a tinge too long and I thought the Catwoman arc could've been a bit better.

• Plus1 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:37 PM, Enhance said:

I sort of wish the DC universe will embrace the same tone and thematic elements as Joker and The Batman moving forward. These are unquestionable hits for these comic book characters and far outweigh what's been done with their Marvel-like like approach via Aquaman, Justice League, etc.

My only non-spoiler complaints about The Batman were I felt it ran just a tinge too long and I thought the Catwoman arc could've been a bit better.

I've thought that for awhile.  Let Marvel have the campy type super hero movies.   DC would be better served going to the gritty/darker side.  Do that and build a cohesive universe and they will be raking in Billions per movie.

Not sure how Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern and others would be able to work with the same tone. The Batman and Joker are both incredibly grounded films because the respective characters aren't actual superheroes. Start throwing in alien demigod powers, talking to fish, being able to conjure magic etc. and that doesn't really work.

Or maybe it could, but I could not envision any of those characters in Matt Reeve's film.

• Fire 1

1989 was 33 years ago. Since then there have been so many Batmans.

Micheal Keaton

Val Kilmer

George Clooney

Christian Bale

Ben Affleck

Robert Pattinson

I don't even remember how many films these guys had, combined. Three for Bale. A couple for Keaton. At least two for Affleck.

I thought they were beating the Spiderman character to shreds with the Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland projects, but there's been what? Twice as many Batmans?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 10:06 PM, knapplc said:

1989 was 33 years ago. Since then there have been so many Batmans.

Micheal Keaton

Val Kilmer

George Clooney

Christian Bale

Ben Affleck

Robert Pattinson

I don't even remember how many films these guys had, combined. Three for Bale. A couple for Keaton. At least two for Affleck.

I thought they were beating the Spiderman character to shreds with the Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland projects, but there's been what? Twice as many Batmans?

Batman reminds me a lot of the James Bond film structure. I think many fans are complicitly OK nowadays with knowing that Batman is probably going to be rehashed every 10-15 years with a new leading man.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...