Player Eligibility

As the game evolves I wonder how the future of player eligibility will look. I don't think 20 years ago many people thought this is what college football would become with Transfer Portal, NIL, probably paying players in near future. So a complete shift to player rights and allowing them to do what is in their best interest. Part of college athletics was that they were "Amateurs" which essentially meant they were not being paid for what they were doing. They received a free education as compensation but they could not be paid. So food for thought- I wonder if in the future players would be allowed to come back and compete in college after testing the waters in the NFL for a year. The current system they "forfeit" their amateur status as soon as they hire an agent for the draft I believe. So say a redshirt sophomore goes pro. Finds out he is not ready for the jump. Perhaps in the future he may be allowed to come back and compete in college for 2 more years and try going pro again in the future. 

I am just curious on people's thoughts if that could be possible in the future. The current system is already trending away from them being "amateurs" as we have some kids with NIL deals of $1,000,000 as it is. So if they are no longer amateurs and college football is basically just becoming a minor league NFL. Then why not be able to go back and forth? No different than a MLB player getting sent down and if they develop more they can be brought back up. 

Just an interesting thought I had on how the game could evolve. I never thought I would see the transfers and NIL so who knows where this could go. For the record, I liked the traditional way college football was setup. College football feels more like a business now.

I don’t know why not. I mean we’re talking about the future. Nobody could’ve imagined it would be this effed up 25 years ago. Who’s to say what it might look like in another 25. Although my money would be on a vastly different game altogether with extremely limited contact allowed. Thank God I won’t be around to see it (or at least I won’t be coherent enough to realize what I’m seeing) :lol:

• Fire 1

Trend is certainly to lengthening the playing time from 3 years varsity ball to 4 years with frosh eligibility to adding a red shirt fifth year if you didn’t play at all to medical hardship year to allowing red shirts to play 4 games.  Covid was a one time deal, presumably but a fifth year seems likely.  
Ultimately, it may be pro and unlimited years and pay.  That’s moving fast.  Pay for play is here now.  
There are way too many schools to be in that strata.  Not room for more than 60 to 80 pro college programs imo.  Many will revert back to a basic amateur structure for financial reasons.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Trend is certainly to lengthening the playing time from 3 years varsity ball to 4 years with frosh eligibility to adding a red shirt fifth year if you didn’t play at all to medical hardship year to allowing red shirts to play 4 games.  Covid was a one time deal, presumably but a fifth year seems likely.  
Ultimately, it may be pro and unlimited years and pay.  That’s moving fast.  Pay for play is here now.  
There are way too many schools to be in that strata.  Not room for more than 60 to 80 pro college programs imo.  Many will revert back to a basic amateur structure for financial reasons.

what-the.gif

16 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Nope. 

I do think they could look at not making a player have to stay 3 years before they go pro. Guys like Micah parsons shouldn’t have to wait 3 years to make money. 

Personally, I think they should do away with NIL and the portal, take it back to what it used to be. But, at any point if a kid wants to go pro, let them. Keep college ball amateur and pro ball pro but don’t limit what the individual chooses to do.

Yes I know…it’s never going back.

• Plus1 1