Excited for the Off-Season!

Terrabus

17 minutes ago, admo said:

Northwestern (Ireland) - 1-8 conference record
North Dakota (home) - FCS team 5-6 record
Georgia Southern (home) - 3-9  (Sun Belt team)
OU (home)
at Rutgers - 2-7 conference record
Indiana (home) - 0-9 conference record

I mean, if the Huskers cant win 5 games against that competition... then the writing is on the wall.

To be fair, Northwestern typically isn't down (especially 1-8 down) in consecutive years, so I expect them to be better next year. And Indiana should be markedly better too, so I wouldn't expect their 2021 selves to show back up. 

See, unlike at Nebraska, some programs can build on failures and learn how to be succes--alright, I'll stop. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, admo said:

OU (home)

I mean, if the Huskers cant win 5 games against that competition... then the writing is on the wall.

Nebraska - 1-8 conference record

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Nebraska - 1-8 conference record

Right, we are swapping out #6 Ohio State (8-1) and #9 Michigan State (7-2) with winnable games against Indiana 0-9 and Rutgers 2-7. 

I don't think Nebraska is as bad as their record was.  Now, if we are going to progress from 3-9 (1-8) it is obvious to me that 5 out of the first 6 games are as winnable as you can possibly get.  Plus, new OC/QB coach, new OL coach, new WR coach, the play calling duties will shift to Whipple.  And we will replace former RB coach Held.  Taking that all into account, the Huskers will likely be favored in those 5 games (including the road game against Rutgers).

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

To be fair, Northwestern typically isn't down (especially 1-8 down) in consecutive years, so I expect them to be better next year. And Indiana should be markedly better too, so I wouldn't expect their 2021 selves to show back up. 

See, unlike at Nebraska, some programs can build on failures and learn how to be succes--alright, I'll stop. 

LOL yeah I know.  I guess I'm a little more excited this off-season, especially at the present moment.  But I definitely know the off-season will be a long, weekly roller-coaster ride of legit concerns. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, admo said:

There should be no reason why the Huskers can't go 5-1 through the first 6 games.

I could see us going 5-1. On the other hand I could see us going 1-5 just as easily.

2022 is basically a rebuilding year after losing so much talent.

And after dumping almost half of the staff I think it is anybody's guess as to how this will all play out.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, admo said:

OU (home)

I think you drastically underestimate the random stupid crap this program does all the time. Literally all the time. :lol:

• Fire 3
19 hours ago, runningblind said:

I think you drastically underestimate the random stupid crap this program does all the time. Literally all the time. :lol:

Like firing a coach that goes 8-3, or firing a coach that goes 9-3, or fir--alright, I'll stop here too. 

• Plus1 2
On 12/29/2021 at 4:16 PM, Dogs In A Pile said:

Eh, not sure about that.  Frost explicitly said many times we were 1 to 2 pieces away.  With the transfer porter we've brought in more pieces than that.  2022 is a put up or shut up year.

If it was a rebuilding year we would have hired a new coach. 

• Haha 3
On 12/29/2021 at 3:41 PM, VectorVictor said:

What???  Indiana hasn’t had a head coach with a record over .500 since 1947. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

What???  Indiana hasn’t had a head coach with a record over .500 since 1947. 

Tom Allen has done a great job of making it seem like Indiana is decent.  Even though they pretty much always suck.

I would be willing to get that Indiana is the school in the Big Ten that is the least interested in football.

The division they are in will likely mean a minimum of 4 losses each year.  

They are just in a bad position and it will be that way for them forever.   

On 12/29/2021 at 5:16 PM, Dogs In A Pile said:

I could see us going 5-1. On the other hand I could see us going 1-5 just as easily.

And after dumping almost half of the staff I think it is anybody's guess as to how this will all play out.

I’ve been guilty of being optimistic and hopeful and rationalized how things were getting better and next year we turn things around.  For about 20 years.  Looking back, it’s basically been like the dollar coaster ride AFTER the first big drop.  

Realism at some point has to set in and I’m very near that end of the run.  Last year’s schedule was very tough certainly.  Bowl results may be a final measure. But, there is almost as much turmoil and upheaval inside the program now - starting Frost Year 5 - as the end of Pelini and Riley runs.  It remains to be seen how the rest of the dominos fall.  Frost might be able to get things stabilized with a few key staff and player gets OR more departures of the same and no good replacements are found.  

My biggest worry is the internal team reaction in terms of faith, confidence and belief in Scott and the staff and his leadership.  The one area the ‘21 squad had was the never quit - keep in trying - effort.  They battled all season despite the losses week after week. 

Next fall, the schedule - on its face - looks easier but every indication is ‘22 Husker team will take a couple steps back - talent drop, coaching changes, scheme changes(?), on going Covid mess, financial and admin issues with ticket sales, coach salaries / buyouts etc. 

Scholarship challenges.  

If Frost thought taking over four years was a big challenge, I’d say it’s even tougher now.  

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I’ve been guilty of being optimistic and hopeful and rationalized how things were getting better and next year we turn things around.  For about 20 years.  Looking back, it’s basically been like the dollar coaster ride AFTER the first big drop.  

Realism at some point has to set in and I’m very near that end of the run.  Last year’s schedule was very tough certainly.  Bowl results may be a final measure. But, there is almost as much turmoil and upheaval inside the program now - starting Frost Year 5 - as the end of Pelini and Riley runs.  It remains to be seen how the rest of the dominos fall.  Frost might be able to get things stabilized with a few key staff and player gets OR more departures of the same and no good replacements are found.  

My biggest worry is the internal team reaction in terms of faith, confidence and belief in Scott and the staff and his leadership.  The one area the ‘21 squad had was the never quit - keep in trying - effort.  They battled all season despite the losses week after week. 

Next fall, the schedule - on its face - looks easier but every indication is ‘22 Husker team will take a couple steps back - talent drop, coaching changes, scheme changes(?), on going Covid mess, financial and admin issues with ticket sales, coach salaries / buyouts etc. 

Scholarship challenges.  

If Frost thought taking over four years was a big challenge, I’d say it’s even tougher now.  

I think if we magically lose that first game in dublin after absolutely trashing northwestern this last season its over for him.  Nothing can bring you back from getting beat on national tv to a team you absolutely throttled the year before.  All momentum will be lost, that will be the final nail.  

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

Eh, not sure about that.  Frost explicitly said many times we were 1 to 2 pieces away.  With the transfer porter we've brought in more pieces than that.  2022 is a put up or shut up year.

If it was a rebuilding year we would have hired a new coach. 

Did Frost really say that about the 2022 season? If so, I missed it. I know he made comments along those lines before previous seasons but rumor has it that we may be losing more than a few key players from this years squad on both sides of the ball. Hard to believe he is still saying that but talk is cheap. Wins, not so much.

And I believe if he can manage 5 wins in 2022 that will be seen as an improvement and earn him another year or two. I don't think a winning season will be required, just improvement over 3-9.

Trev can clearly see the outflow of talent off of this years team but luckily for HCSF he has a soft spot for a former Husker player and allowed him one more attempt. Frost should have be been dismissed after 4 years and 15-29. He would have been gone at almost any other school except maybe the permanent bottom of the barrel teams where they don't really expect to win regardless of who is coaching.