Jump to content


Huskers in the 2022 NFL Draft


Mavric

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

I don't know about Cam, but Jo Jo made some money coming back.

 

I think he did. IIRC he didn't play much outside corner until 2020, and only having that weird season to go off of would have made him risky. He had a slow start because he was pressing, but after the first couple games he was pretty close to shutdown corner territory. He's long, physical, has good ball skills - all comes down to speed for CTB. I don't believe they released 40 times with the Performance index stuff, and to me his deep speed is the only real question mark. 

 

Really all the guys who cam back had things to prove, and I think they all did other than Deontai. He needed to prove he could stay healthy. Culp maybe lost some money, but even coming off a B1G kicker of the year 2020 he wasn't going to get drafted. His career long through 2020 was a 49 yarder - he bested that this year (51), but now has massive consistency issues. So probably just cost himself some camp invites.

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

 

I think he did. IIRC he didn't play much outside corner until 2020, and only having that weird season to go off of would have made him risky. He had a slow start because he was pressing, but after the first couple games he was pretty close to shutdown corner territory. He's long, physical, has good ball skills - all comes down to speed for CTB. I don't believe they released 40 times with the Performance index stuff, and to me his deep speed is the only real question mark. 

 

Really all the guys who cam back had things to prove, and I think they all did other than Deontai. He needed to prove he could stay healthy. Culp maybe lost some money, but even coming off a B1G kicker of the year 2020 he wasn't going to get drafted. His career long through 2020 was a 49 yarder - he bested that this year (51), but now has massive consistency issues. So probably just cost himself some camp invites.

I can not imagine Culp getting a chance in the NFL.  One thing those teams will NOT tolerate is a kicker missing FGs and extra points.  He proved this year he's a total mess and lost his ability to make them consistently.  

Link to comment

On 1/4/2022 at 1:52 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I can not imagine Culp getting a chance in the NFL.  One thing those teams will NOT tolerate is a kicker missing FGs and extra points.  He proved this year he's a total mess and lost his ability to make them consistently.  

Agreed but it's sad because the kid played with injuries quite a bit.  Just bad luck.

Link to comment
34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Notables that haven't yet received an invite to the combine.

 

Deontai Williams

Cam Jurgens

Austin Allen

 

 

Hm. I’d think Allen would be taken without the combine.  The others are gonna need to wow em with #s, esp Cam.  He can always come back if he doesn’t like his pro options correct? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Once you declare for the draft you cannot go back and play college football. It's not like the NBA where if you don't get drafted you can go back to college.

I thought that changed possibly until you actually hire an agent.  But, players could declare for the draft, get a draft analysis and decide if they want to come back.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

What an amazing business model.

 

1.  Force teams to pick players through a draft instead of letting the player decide which teams they like

2.  Only invite like 400 players to be interviewed so that the rest is up to the teams to go meet BUT they still have to draft them and hope they are there when it is their turn to pick.

 

Here is an idea...how about...two or three or four combines.  The first 3 could be "invite only" with the last one being open to all

 

Or how about an offensive one and defensive one?

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I thought that changed possibly until you actually hire an agent.  But, players could declare for the draft, get a draft analysis and decide if they want to come back.

 

Players have until 01/17 to declare or withdraw their name from the draft. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What an amazing business model.

 

1.  Force teams to pick players through a draft instead of letting the player decide which teams they like

2.  Only invite like 400 players to be interviewed so that the rest is up to the teams to go meet BUT they still have to draft them and hope they are there when it is their turn to pick.

 

Here is an idea...how about...two or three or four combines.  The first 3 could be "invite only" with the last one being open to all

 

Or how about an offensive one and defensive one?

I read a few years ago an article that interviewed NFL scouts and they claimed that the combine didn't really change draft opinions of players very often.  About the only time one does is when a guy comes in and really wows them and they aren't expecting it.  However, with all the video and information they have at their fingertips now, that really doesn't happen much.  

 

It really is held to just confirm what they already know.  Same with pro days.  Maybe the exception is at QB where they can actually watch a QB make throws in person.

 

Exceptions might be the interview process to see if they think the guy can come in and be a productive part of the team.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I read a few years ago an article that interviewed NFL scouts and they claimed that the combine didn't really change draft opinions of players very often.  About the only time one does is when a guy comes in and really wows them and they aren't expecting it.  However, with all the video and information they have at their fingertips now, that really doesn't happen much.  

 

It really is held to just confirm what they already know.  Same with pro days.  Maybe the exception is at QB where they can actually watch a QB make throws in person.

 

Exceptions might be the interview process to see if they think the guy can come in and be a productive part of the team.

 

From everything I've read, they expect the players to hit baseline numbers based on their position and then they apply that information to the film. What makes it interesting is that the combine does more for players who might move positions in the NFL which makes JoJo Domann a really interesting person this year.

 

A couple of good examples from Nebraska would be Lamar Jackson and Nate Gerry.

 

Lamar Jackson's physical profile for cornerback wasn't the best but he did have very good profile for a safety. However, when you watch his film, you see that he was not comfortable playing in zone and is very late breaking on guys who enter his zone. His below average speed at CB mixed with the fact that he could only play CB made him go undrafted despite being "better" in college than some guys that got drafted.

 

Gerry might have below average athleticism for a safety in the NFL but really fits the profile for a modern off ball linebacker. When you look at his film at Nebraska, we saw a guy that is comfortable coming up and making a play in run coverage, understands the zone he covers, and is very physical. So his film and combine suggested he could be a contributor at a different position.

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   1 member






×
  • Create New...