Huskers in the 2022 NFL Draft

Mavric

16 minutes ago, The_Fan_Man said:

From everything I've read, they expect the players to hit baseline numbers based on their position and then they apply that information to the film. What makes it interesting is that the combine does more for players who might move positions in the NFL which makes JoJo Domann a really interesting person this year.

A couple of good examples from Nebraska would be Lamar Jackson and Nate Gerry.

Lamar Jackson's physical profile for cornerback wasn't the best but he did have very good profile for a safety. However, when you watch his film, you see that he was not comfortable playing in zone and is very late breaking on guys who enter his zone. His below average speed at CB mixed with the fact that he could only play CB made him go undrafted despite being "better" in college than some guys that got drafted.

Gerry might have below average athleticism for a safety in the NFL but really fits the profile for a modern off ball linebacker. When you look at his film at Nebraska, we saw a guy that is comfortable coming up and making a play in run coverage, understands the zone he covers, and is very physical. So his film and combine suggested he could be a contributor at a different position.

Appreciate the insight.  

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, FearAmeer said:

Who all are we expecting to be drafted? I figured Austin Allen, CTB, Jojo Domann, and Samori Toure will likely be drafted with outside chance of Cam Jurgens and Deontai Williams. Surprising though seeing Allen and Toure without an invite thus far.

From the rankings I am seeing, those you have listed as well as Daniels and Stille have chances to be drafted.  JoJo and Austin Allen seem to be the highest ranking on several listings I have seen. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-board-big-board

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-prospects-2022-player-rankings-big-board/15xmexshw7ywc1u9ijg32sjwhr

https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-43-Outside-Linebacker-2022-NFL-Drafts.asp

https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-Tight-Ends-2022-NFL-Draft.asp

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, runningblind said:

JoJo appears to be our best prospect at roughly the 90th pick.....Arguably our best player....SMH.  That dude us a steal IMHO.  And no AA....Damn.

Another thing I noticed a player defined as "edge" appears to be in high demand and a lot of them are going in the 1st 3 rounds.  Really seemed to be one of the more sought after positions.  Makes the ability to recruit an "elite" one at the collegiate level that much rarer.  Every team in the FBS is looking for them.  Like trying to find Sasquatch riding a Unicorn.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

JoJo appears to be our best prospect at roughly the 90th pick.....Arguably our best player....SMH.  That dude us a steal IMHO.  And no AA....Damn.

Another thing I noticed a player defined as "edge" appears to be in high demand and a lot of them are going in the 1st 3 rounds.  Really seemed to be one of the more sought after positions.  Makes the ability to recruit an "elite" one at the collegiate level that much rarer.  Every team in the FBS is looking for them.  Like trying to find Sasquatch riding a Unicorn.

These rankings will vary, but I'd say we have 3-4 draft picks for sure and possibly more depending on how testing goes.

Pass rushers are probably the second most sought after position behind QB in the draft. They can completely change a game, and a season. 

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

These rankings will vary, but I'd say we have 3-4 draft picks for sure and possibly more depending on how testing goes.

Pass rushers are probably the second most sought after position behind QB in the draft. They can completely change a game, and a season. 

No doubt.  Just read the ones with the complete list of draft picks (not positions) and was amazed at the high number of edge guys.  As you mentioned, a game changer.  If we could get/develop just one.....

I think we will have JoJo, CTB, AA, Toure get drafted.  Stille, Daniels to be picked up.  optimistic this will be one of our better showings in the past few years.  Day by day I reckon.  

5 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

Who all are we expecting to be drafted? I figured Austin Allen, CTB, Jojo Domann, and Samori Toure will likely be drafted with outside chance of Cam Jurgens and Deontai Williams. Surprising though seeing Allen and Toure without an invite thus far.

JoJo Domann, Samori Toure, Austin Allen, Cam Jurgens, Ben Stille and Cam Taylor-Britt will all go to the Chicago Bears........and I will rest peacefully :)

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

Jurgens will get drafted. He wouldn't be leaving if he didn't have a solid grade. Toure might not (or go later than people think) - but I expect him to make a team  at some point. Reminds me a lot of Robby Anderson - if he runs a 4.36 like Anderson did, he'll get drafted. If he runs a 4.5, it'll be late if at all. And IMO, Deontai Williams would definitely be drafted if it weren't for injuries. Without a single healthy season to his name though, I think he's a UDFA. 

In my very non-professional opinion, AA, CTB, JoJo, Daniels and Jurgens could all go in the middle rounds. Toure (and one or two of the previous guys who fall) could go late, and Deontai, Stille, Dismuke, and Deontre Thomas will get chances as UDFAs. 

15 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Anyone know the record for draft picks by a three win team?

You know, I actually heard this somewhere when I was looking for silver linings and for the life of me, I can't remember the answer.  I feel like it was Cal or NC State or something like that.

• Plus1 1

I have a close source who is someone in a position to know, Nobody is focused on players who aren't at the combine and go through the thorough scrutiny these days. Of course, teams will still try and find a hidden gem...but not in the first 4-5 rounds! They study these kids to an extreme these days. It's fascinating to talk to him. No I won't give up my source, but he knows. He is in the League, it's his job to know. Draft picks are too scarce to take a risk on an unknown. UNless someone gets in individual tryout, the chances are slim. Practice squad is more likely if no combine/tryout. Still a chance to earn a spot, but that's the route.

• Thanks 1