Those No Longer With Us

Mavric

I thought there was a thread about this in previous years but couldn't find it. 

According to their classifications:

Major Losses - Wan'Dale Robinson, Avery Roberts, Greg Bell

QB Transfers - Noah Vedral, Patrick O'Brien, Tristan Gebbia, Adrian Martinez

Notable - Tyjon Lindsey, Caleb Lightbourn, Luke McCaffrey, Kurt Rafdal, JD Spielman, Kade Warner, Boe Wilson

Others - Ben Miles, Bryan Brokop, Michael Decker, Andrew Ward, Keyan Williams, Willie Hampton, David Engelhaupt, Matt Snyder, Will Jackson, Jalin Barnett, Tre Bryant, Sedrick King, Dominic Watt, Willie Canty, Guy Thomas, Jacob Wienmaster, Justin McGriff, Breon Dixon, Quayshon Alexander, Cam Jones, CJ Smith, Miles Jones, Tyrin Ferguson, Andre Hunt, Katerian LeGrone, Maurice Washington, Pernell Jefferson, John Raridon, Tony Butler, Jaylin Bradley, Darien Chase, Barrett Pickering, Jaevon McQuitty, Henry Gray, Jaron Woodyard, Jaiden Francois, Keyshawn Greene, Ronald Delancy, Marcus Fleming, Keem Green, Matthew Anderson, Will Farniok, Nio Cooper, Demariyon Houston, Jamie Nance, Ronald Thompkins, David Alston, Branson Yager, Jimmy Fritsche, Jamin Graham, Marvin Scott, Jackson Hannah, Malik Williams

Obviously there are some "incompletes" if there were grades handed out.  But really only the three "major losses" and three QBs (giving Martinez the benefit of the doubt) really had anything resembling significant success anywhere else.  The "Notables" are more because of their names than what they did - though Wilson did well from himself.

So, depending on where you want to draw the line, that's 7 out of 67 that were successful elsewhere.  Ouch.

• Plus1 1

IMO the only ones that really hurt were Wandale and Vedral. Vedral would’ve been to nice to have as a backup and Wandale is only a big loss if we would’ve used him properly, which we didn’t. Spielman was a talent but not sure he really wanted to play football too badly. I’m sure lots of those guys could’ve contributed much more if the whole team wasn’t in disarray.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IMO the only ones that really hurt were Wandale and Vedral. Vedral would’ve been to nice to have as a backup and Wandale is only a big loss if we would’ve used him properly, which we didn’t. Spielman was a talent but not sure he really wanted to play football too badly. I’m sure lots of those guys could’ve contributed much more if the whole team wasn’t in disarray.

1.  Wan'dale has great talent and it sucks that he wasn't used properly by NU.  He's doing great at Kentucky.

2.  Toure was a great replacement for Wan'dale and nearly matched his output for NU this year. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Agree on Robinson. Based on what Bell has done I would list him above Vedral.  Vedral not better than AM so as you said he would be back up at best. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I thought there was a thread about this in previous years but couldn't find it. 

According to their classifications:

Major Losses - Wan'Dale Robinson, Avery Roberts, Greg Bell

QB Transfers - Noah Vedral, Patrick O'Brien, Tristan Gebbia, Adrian Martinez

Notable - Tyjon Lindsey, Caleb Lightbourn, Luke McCaffrey, Kurt Rafdal, JD Spielman, Kade Warner, Boe Wilson

Others - Ben Miles, Bryan Brokop, Michael Decker, Andrew Ward, Keyan Williams, Willie Hampton, David Engelhaupt, Matt Snyder, Will Jackson, Jalin Barnett, Tre Bryant, Sedrick King, Dominic Watt, Willie Canty, Guy Thomas, Jacob Wienmaster, Justin McGriff, Breon Dixon, Quayshon Alexander, Cam Jones, CJ Smith, Miles Jones, Tyrin Ferguson, Andre Hunt, Katerian LeGrone, Maurice Washington, Pernell Jefferson, John Raridon, Tony Butler, Jaylin Bradley, Darien Chase, Barrett Pickering, Jaevon McQuitty, Henry Gray, Jaron Woodyard, Jaiden Francois, Keyshawn Greene, Ronald Delancy, Marcus Fleming, Keem Green, Matthew Anderson, Will Farniok, Nio Cooper, Demariyon Houston, Jamie Nance, Ronald Thompkins, David Alston, Branson Yager, Jimmy Fritsche, Jamin Graham, Marvin Scott, Jackson Hannah, Malik Williams

Obviously there are some "incompletes" if there were grades handed out.  But really only the three "major losses" and three QBs (giving Martinez the benefit of the doubt) really had anything resembling significant success anywhere else.  The "Notables" are more because of their names than what they did - though Wilson did well from himself.

So, depending on where you want to draw the line, that's 7 out of 67 that were successful elsewhere.  Ouch.

https://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/95304-former-players-who-transferred-stats/

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

IMO, the guys who have a real issue at current school "should" have success vs the guy who "thinks" he is the starter.  It's not he magic bullet kids think it is.   

Here is the article:

https://thespun.com/big-ten/nebraska-cornhuskers/what-scott-frost-actually-said-about-transfer-portal

but the ones you really want that are in the portal, they already know where they’re going before they put their name in the portal, which is tampering and illegal, but that’s the way it’s working,” Frost said. 

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

A lot of previously promising recruits on this list.   This, along with the portal, is why I just can’t get optimistic with recruiting rankings anymore.  

Rankings have always been largely potential but it requires development.  We simply haven't been good enough at making guys better than their rankings. Often times they play worse than their rankings which is a huge problem. It's why we out-recruit the west nearly every year but can't beat any west teams consistently.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

From the title of this thread, I thought it would be about former players and coaches who have passed away. 

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a tribute to Betty White, John Madden etc.

The sad truth is, it matters little who stays or who goes until we start developing talent and functioning better overall as a team. Can’t blame any of these guys for looking elsewhere.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Rankings have always been largely potential but it requires development.  We simply haven't been good enough at making guys better than their rankings. Often times they play worse than their rankings which is a huge problem. It's why we out-recruit the west nearly every year but can't beat any west teams consistently.

We haven’t developed our skill positions well, but I’d argue that Wandale is the only one on that list who has done well at his next school.   Most everyone else (not including Adrian) hasn’t done much.  Another issue for us has been passing on guys we potentially could have had (Burrow, Breece Hall, Sam LaPorta).  

• Plus1 1