Those No Longer With Us

Mavric

When I first read this, I thought it might have been for remembering previous contributors to your board.

I've dropped in off and on to read what Husker fans would have to say from time to time without being a member myself. I've really enjoyed reading the perspectives though the years. Lots of knowledge and meaningful input on Nebraska football in particular. I know of one lady that would pour her heart into making quilts for her team and loved ones that were fans.  

Anyway, if there isn't already maybe there could be some sort of dedication to those Husker fans no longer with us. A memorial of sorts in their honor. So many cool stories and commentaries that they shared and would be sharing! A space especially for them where you could share thoughts and memories in remembrance would be cool if there isn't.   

• Plus1 3
On 1/2/2022 at 5:53 PM, M.A. said:

When I first read this, I thought it might have been for remembering previous contributors to your board.

I've dropped in off and on to read what Husker fans would have to say from time to time without being a member myself. I've really enjoyed reading the perspectives though the years. Lots of knowledge and meaningful input on Nebraska football in particular. I know of one lady that would pour her heart into making quilts for her team and loved ones that were fans.  

Anyway, if there isn't already maybe there could be some sort of dedication to those Husker fans no longer with us. A memorial of sorts in their honor. So many cool stories and commentaries that they shared and would be sharing! A space especially for them where you could share thoughts and memories in remembrance would be cool if there isn't.   

@Mavric hey, do we have anything of this sort? Because let's face it--some of us aren't getting any younger. :D

When you talk about coaches mis-using a player, it's usually about them not playing him enough, failing to work a scheme around him, or playing him out of position.

But Frost pretty much built his entire offense around Wan'dale, getting the ball to his best weapon as much as possible. Wan'dale should never have been the major ball carrier out out of the backfield, but it made tons of sense to use him as a change-of-pace RB, like we used to use our wingbacks.  

Wan'dale delivered everything asked of him and more at UNL, but it left him looking at a career on a losing team and potential decapitation when those throws across the middle were too high. I don't think Wan'dale was really mis-used, but he made the right choice anyway.

I can't get too upset about Greg Bell, either. Nice enough season at SDSU, but if Nebraska handed the ball to a running back 250 times a season, we'd have a 1,000 yard running back, too. I think every RB we had during and after Greg Bell has averaged 4.5 yards a carry. So it's not a personnel issue. Noah Vedral reminds us that Adrian Martinez was a significantly better quarterback, but Noah got two more wins and a bowl game because life is funny. 

• Plus1 3

23 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Wandale made the right decision...

And come November, I trust that Trev will make the right decision on our head coach's fate as well...

Trev won’t make the decision alone.  Probably gets to express his opinion.  He gets to announce it but may or may not be his choice, either way.  It’s up to Frost really.  He needs to perform and give the ticket buying fans and donors a good reason to retain him. 

35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

When you talk about coaches mis-using a player, it's usually about them not playing him enough, failing to work a scheme around him, or playing him out of position.

But Frost pretty much built his entire offense around Wan'dale, getting the ball to his best weapon as much as possible. Wan'dale should never have been the major ball carrier out out of the backfield, but it made tons of sense to use him as a change-of-pace RB, like we used to use our wingbacks.  

Wan'dale delivered everything asked of him and more at UNL, but it left him looking at a career on a losing team and potential decapitation when those throws across the middle were too high. I don't think Wan'dale was really mis-used, but he made the right choice anyway.

I can't get too upset about Greg Bell, either. Nice enough season at SDSU, but if Nebraska handed the ball to a running back 250 times a season, we'd have a 1,000 yard running back, too. I think every RB we had during and after Greg Bell has averaged 4.5 yards a carry. So it's not a personnel issue. Noah Vedral reminds us that Adrian Martinez was a significantly better quarterback, but Noah got two more wins and a bowl game because life is funny. 

Watching the Rutgers QB rotation in the Gator Bowl was hilarious.  They must've rotated like 5 guys.  In one 4 down series they had 3 different QBs run plays.  Wild!

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Watching the Rutgers QB rotation in the Gator Bowl was hilarious.  They must've rotated like 5 guys.  In one 4 down series they had 3 different QBs run plays.  Wild!

Probably didn’t get enough prep time to put a real game plan into motion etc and looked at the game, perhaps rightly so, as more exhibition and opportunity to get guys snaps, experience and just some fun.  

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Probably didn’t get enough prep time to put a real game plan into motion etc and looked at the game, perhaps rightly so, as more exhibition and opportunity to get guys snaps, experience and just some fun.  

Yup, very true.  It was still pretty darn funny watching the QBs shuttle in and out though!

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Wandale made the right decision...

And come November, I trust that Trev will make the right decision on our head coach's fate as well...

You have made it well known in a couple different threads that Trev will make the "right" decision in November.  Your feelings about SF are obvious.  You mentioned Aranda in another thread.  Isn't Aranda this year's SF?   Both guys had impressive assistant coaching resumes/gigs, long coaching trees, and turned around a losing program.  Yes, Aranda in Big 12, but some on HB will suggest the Big 12 is not very strong the upper part of AAC is fairly strong.

If we toss $$ at Aranda in November, wouldn't that be somewhat of a "repeat".  His HC resume isn't any better than SF was at UCF.  What is the difference, other than it isn't SF, because you seem so sure Aranda is the answer if you want to throw kitchen sink his way.

8 minutes ago, HANC said:

You have made it well known in a couple different threads that Trev will make the "right" decision in November.  Your feelings about SF are obvious.  You mentioned Aranda in another thread.  Isn't Aranda this year's SF?   Both guys had impressive assistant coaching resumes/gigs, long coaching trees, and turned around a losing program.  Yes, Aranda in Big 12, but some on HB will suggest the Big 12 is not very strong the upper part of AAC is fairly strong.

If we toss $$ at Aranda in November, wouldn't that be somewhat of a "repeat".  His HC resume isn't any better than SF was at UCF.  What is the difference, other than it isn't SF, because you seem so sure Aranda is the answer if you want to throw kitchen sink his way.

At this point All Hail Herby is just trolling. He's not engaging in discussion and he repeats the same thing over and over across multiple threads. You probably won't even get a response. If he's not careful, he'll probably earn a short vacation from the board. 

:rulez

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, HANC said:

Coach Aranda has had defensive success at Wisconsin, LSU, and Baylor (Power 5 programs all).  I agree that his Head Coaching resume is limited (Big XII Champions), but his system has worked in 3 different Power 5 leagues.  Conversely, our esteemed coach was merely an understudy of Chip Kelly at Oregon where their program was already at a zenith.  Given the results of other successful AAC coaches at Power 5 schools, I am becoming convinced that their time in that league does not translate well.

Bottom line, whether the selection is Coach Aranda, Coach Freeze or other, let's just make certain we go with a proven Power 5 winner.  There are no guarantees in this business except to say that standing pat will not improve our situation.  

8 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

At this point All Hail Herby is just trolling. He's not engaging in discussion and he repeats the same thing over and over across multiple threads. You probably won't even get a response. If he's not careful, he'll probably earn a short vacation from the board. 

:rulez

I had a terrific holiday season and I hope you and your family did as well.

All posts today are thoughtful and aimed at generating dialogue, not conflict.

That said, I get the message with the rule citation as it is the signal flare.  Ultimately, it has been the goal of many here to simply censor speech and I am very confident you will get your wish.  Not being a millennial, and having witnessed a time when totalitarian regimes censored speech, I do not fully appreciate the virtues of this neo-totalitarianism.  It strikes me as odd.  

I wish you and this fanbase all the best.  Many happy returns.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
12 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Coach Aranda has had defensive success at Wisconsin, LSU, and Baylor (Power 5 programs all).  I agree that his Head Coaching resume is limited (Big XII Champions), but his system has worked in 3 different Power 5 leagues.  Conversely, our esteemed coach was merely an understudy of Chip Kelly at Oregon where their program was already at a zenith.  Given the results of other successful AAC coaches at Power 5 schools, I am becoming convinced that their time in that league does not translate well.

Bottom line, whether the selection is Coach Aranda, Coach Freeze or other, let's just make certain we go with a proven Power 5 winner.  There are no guarantees in this business except to say that standing pat will not improve our situation.  

I can't argue that I was concerned about the AAC "staff" that was brought with SF from UCF concerned me because of the exact reasons you stated.  But, Chins (and I was a BIG DOUBTER) and others on the defensive side have surprised me.  I am willing to give SF, with staff changes an opportunity.  I am a SF supporter, primarily because I am 10000% against the vicious cycle of changing coaches every 3-4 years.  We have made very poor choices which got us here.  Trev will give SF and new staff 2 years to make an improvement. 

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am not am saying I completely agree with you either.  I don't think Trev will make a decision in November, unless it is another 3 win season.  I will agree to the point that IF and WHEN a change needs to be made, we better roll out the cash for a proven P5 coach.

• Plus1 1