Those No Longer With Us

Mavric

2 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I had a terrific holiday season and I hope you and your family did as well.

All posts today are thoughtful and aimed at generating dialogue, not conflict.

That said, I get the message with the rule citation as it is the signal flare.  Ultimately, it has been the goal of many here to simply censor speech and I am very confident you will get your wish.  Not being a millennial, and having witnessed a time when totalitarian regimes censored speech, I do not fully appreciate the virtues of this neo-totalitarianism.  It strikes me as odd.  

I wish you and this fanbase all the best.  Many happy returns.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

When you talk about coaches mis-using a player, it's usually about them not playing him enough, failing to work a scheme around him, or playing him out of position.

But Frost pretty much built his entire offense around Wan'dale, getting the ball to his best weapon as much as possible. Wan'dale should never have been the major ball carrier out out of the backfield, but it made tons of sense to use him as a change-of-pace RB, like we used to use our wingbacks.  

Wan'dale delivered everything asked of him and more at UNL, but it left him looking at a career on a losing team and potential decapitation when those throws across the middle were too high. I don't think Wan'dale was really mis-used, but he made the right choice anyway.

I can't get too upset about Greg Bell, either. Nice enough season at SDSU, but if Nebraska handed the ball to a running back 250 times a season, we'd have a 1,000 yard running back, too. I think every RB we had during and after Greg Bell has averaged 4.5 yards a carry. So it's not a personnel issue. Noah Vedral reminds us that Adrian Martinez was a significantly better quarterback, but Noah got two more wins and a bowl game because life is funny. 

I would agree.  I don't think "mis-used" is the correct term.  Obviously used differently than he wanted to be used would be accurate, and I suppose some could make the argument that is the same as "mis-used".

But I really feel that Frost felt he didn't have a choice.  He was used in the backfield as a freshman and it was clear that he didn't really want to do that.  Frost made a point before his sophomore season that he was a receiver.  He didn't have a single rushing attempt in the first two games.  They were trying to stick to that.  But the RB room was such a mess with injuries that they seem to have felt that they didn't have a choice but to try to get him the ball as much as possible.  

For all the talk about how many catches Wan'Dale had this year - 104 catches plus (*gasp!*) 7 rushing attempts in 13 games, 8.5 touches per game - he got 97 touches in 8 games last year for us, which is 12.1 touches per game.  So we were getting him the ball nearly 50% more per game.  Actually even the catches weren't all that much different - 8 catches per game this year compared to 6.4 catches per game last year for us.

But he or - more likely - others around him hated being used in the backfield.  And that's fine.  But we were actually using him a ton and getting him the ball as much as we could.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
21 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I had a terrific holiday season and I hope you and your family did as well.

All posts today are thoughtful and aimed at generating dialogue, not conflict.

That said, I get the message with the rule citation as it is the signal flare.  Ultimately, it has been the goal of many here to simply censor speech and I am very confident you will get your wish.  Not being a millennial, and having witnessed a time when totalitarian regimes censored speech, I do not fully appreciate the virtues of this neo-totalitarianism.  It strikes me as odd.  

I wish you and this fanbase all the best.  Many happy returns.

No! Don't go! I'm also a non-millennial and I want to know more about this totalitarian regime we lived through!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

This guy has a certain Flair about him, to be sure. 

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No! Don't go! I'm also a non-millennial and I want to know more about this totalitarian regime we lived through!

Well, it started when an actor from California got a bunch of Bible thumpers together...

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

For everyone dwelling on Frost's attrition, please take in to consideration how popular the Transfer Portal has become. It's to the point where most teams expect crazy attrition each season. Then remember that Frost took over in 2018 which was the 1st year the Transfer Portal existed.

My last point is that everyone harps on how many guys have left the program and how most went on to have lackluster careers. What people are overlooking is that when players left early for the Transfer Portal, we were replacing their spots with HIgh School recruits.

For example: We'd lose a Junior, replace him with a High School recruit the next season who would end up Redshirting. That leaves you with huge holes on the roster. This matters when you've lost 60 plus kids to the portal in 4 seasons.

• Haha 1

It’s tough.  Overall, it seems the portal has been a net positive but we haven’t started winning either.  Frost’s youth movement is - perhaps going to start bearing fruit this fall - Covid helped us but about everybody ended up similarly so we didn’t gain much ground I guess.  We need badly to bring in guys ready to contribute in ‘22 to refill the small junior and seniors on the two deep.  The Big Ten is a veteran, mature league.  Raw recruits may be great athletes with potential but returning experience is a must. The defense has steadily improved to become a above average Big Ten bunch.  Offense - not so much with so much turnover at the skill spots anyway.  I think this constant mix n match adversely impacted execution each of the first 4 seasons. Year 5 brings a new QB and coaches and some players.  Gonna need to get in sync quick.   Hope we are beginning a whole new rebuild.  Several more will be forever in some ways.  

• 3 weeks later...