Those No Longer With Us

Mavric

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

By talented, does he mean WR's who are 10 ft tall so he cant over throw them?

Not trying to be the "ex-boyfriend" but Adrian was not very good here. Outside of the OL, he was the problem plenty of the time.

But good thing he has more talent around him to let down.

What's he gonna say, they suck? You do sound exactly like a jaded ex-boyfriend.  He's not going to trash his new team and it's stupid to react to this at all. 

• Plus1 9

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

What's he gonna say, they suck? You do sound exactly like a jaded ex-boyfriend.  He's not going to trash his new team and it's stupid to react to this at all. 

Agree completely.  It's like coach speak - he has to say that.  

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

By talented, does he mean WR's who are 10 ft tall so he cant over throw them?

Not trying to be the "ex-boyfriend" but Adrian was not very good here. Outside of the OL, he was the problem plenty of the time.

But good thing he has more talent around him to let down.

True i understand that he is going to say that about his new team but the real question is does he actually believe that.  Its like Wandale and what he had to say about us. I get that you were over used in the running back position but Nebraska put you on the field to play be happy.

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

It's not time to rehash any Adrian Martinez stuff, but a good feature article by Max Olsen on the breakup of Adrian and Nebraska as well as Adrian's own outlook for his last season at K State.

Adrian Martinez goes long: The end at Nebraska, a fresh start at Kansas State

Two days later, a CT scan delivered the hard truth. Initially, there were two options: Martinez could undergo season-ending surgery or have his jaw wired shut and miss up to eight weeks. He and his family went back and forth on that decision. Then a third option emerged. Nebraska’s doctors consulted with experts at Mayo Clinic and Vanderbilt, he said, and came up with a plan to let him keep playing.

“I knew I wanted to play,” Martinez said. “It meant that much to me. My teammates, the program, us winning, all of that came to my mind with that decision. I couldn’t leave these people out to dry. I felt obligated to give them everything I had. Once that possibility was given to me, it was never really a question. It was more, ‘All right, how are we going to make this work?’”

Here’s how it worked: Six screws were twisted into his gums. Rubber bands were installed to protect his bite. He regrets not asking for more Lidocaine during the procedure. “It was brutal,” he said. “I could feel the pressure of them cranking the screws in.” When he showed up to practice wearing a helmet with an offensive line facemask, teammates were stunned.

Martinez couldn’t chew food and didn’t eat much that week. His girlfriend, Kansas State soccer player Marisa Weichel, drove up to take care of him. “I lost five or six pounds, my face was all swollen and I was calling her barely able to talk,” he said. “She was really worried about me.” He adjusted to an all-liquid diet before settling on a routine heavy on eggs and protein shakes. He tried blending a steak and consuming it like oatmeal. It was one of the worst things he’s ever eaten. He tried again, adding au jus and olives to the recipe. Didn’t help. But he had to keep his weight up.

Everyone agreed that, for Martinez’s safety, this had to stay a secret. Tony Martinez didn’t even tell his parents. “No one had to know,” he said. All of Adrian’s classes were online, so it wasn’t hard to lie low on campus. Rumors still emerged that week, and Frost, who does not discuss injuries with the media, sarcastically shot them down. “Ridiculous rumors. He probably has lupus and leprosy and smallpox and all these other things,” the head coach said. “He’s fine. He’s gonna play. He’s a heck of a player and a really tough guy.”

On his first play against Northwestern, Martinez hit a 70-yard pass to get the Huskers rolling. He ran for three touchdowns in the first quarter. He wasn’t supposed to run much, but Nebraska’s option game was clicking. If you watched that 56-7 blowout win, you couldn’t tell anything was wrong. He even took out the rubber bands before his press conferences to maintain the ruse.

Martinez understood the risk he was taking. It’s a physical, punishing game. Because the rubber bands needed to stay in, he didn’t wear a mouthpiece. He still had to play fearless. The next week, on an early red-zone carry against Michigan, a linebacker slammed right into his jaw and the burning returned. Nebraska ran him again on fourth down. He got stopped.

Those next five games were difficult. The Huskers came up short in a four-quarter fight with the No. 9 Wolverines that came down to a controversial Martinez fumble in the final minutes. He suffered a high-ankle sprain in practice a few days later from a collision with a defensive lineman. He still played against Minnesota but could only rush for 2 yards in the loss. His next game was his worst, a four-interception day against Purdue.

“He went through a lot,” backup quarterback Logan Smothers said, “and he was always calm under all of that.”

Tony Martinez admits watching those games, knowing what he knew, was “emotionally exhausting.” But his son didn’t make excuses and didn’t want excuses made for him.

“I wouldn’t have been willing to go through something like that if I didn’t feel like it was a necessary sacrifice for those around me,” Adrian said. “And that goes for the coaches, too. We were fighting for them, fighting for our guys. I felt like it was worth it.”

He played his heart out the next week against No. 5 Ohio State, another painfully close loss that clinched another losing season. When Martinez walked into the Husker weight room for the press conference afterward, a spokesperson approached him and informed him that Frost had just addressed his broken jaw. The secret was out.

Earlier that day, during the second quarter, Martinez was seen holding his ankle at the end of a run. Fox Sports’ Gus Johnson decided the timing was right to offer some context. “Folks, this kid has been through everything this season,” Johnson said. “He’s played with a broken jaw. He’s played with a high-ankle sprain.”

It’s not hard to deduce how Johnson learned that information, because it didn’t come from Martinez. He does believe there were honest intentions behind Frost sharing it to defend him and put his recent play in perspective.

“Coach Frost and I went through so much together,” Martinez said. “There were a lot of ups and downs. I definitely didn’t agree with the way that situation was handled.”

Nebraska still had two games left against Wisconsin and Iowa. That bothered Tony Martinez more than the broken trust. “It’s a medical condition that puts his safety at risk. Period,” he said. “He decided to play and now, basically, he’s got a target on him. It’s a safety concern. You’re telling them how to take out a player.” He chose not to discuss his concerns with Frost afterward.

“At that point, the damage is done,” he said. “What is there to talk about?”

• Plus1 2

Anyone remember Marcus Fleming?

https://www.insidetheblackandgold.net/wide-receiver-marcus-fleming-away-from-maryland-football/

Maryland wide receiver Marcus Fleming is currently away from the team and not participating in training camp activities, per a team spokesman. “We will provide an update to Marcus’ status when appropriate,” the team spokesman told Inside the Black and Gold.

This comes after news emerged over the weekend that Fleming is facing first and second-degree assault charges from a June 3 incident. He was charged five days after the incident and his court hearing is set to begin this Thursday, August 25. Fleming’s absence from Saturday’s scrimmage was reported on Saturday by Inside the Black and Gold.

• 2 weeks later...