Those No Longer With Us

Mavric

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Probably the same people that think NU is crazy for not going after a $3.5M high school QB.

What choice do we have? You mentioned spending other peoples money, of course we are.  Why wouldn't we as fans? Why not swing for the fences with a legacy kid? What's the alternative, continuing to suck? Spend the damn money.  Try. Otherwise I might actually leave one of these days and stop caring. 

To worry about other people's money as a fan is just as silly as wanting to spend it.  What do you care?

• TBH 1

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

What choice do we have? You mentioned spending other peoples money, of course we are.  Why wouldn't we as fans? Why not swing for the fences with a legacy kid? What's the alternative, continuing to suck? Spend the damn money.  Try. Otherwise I might actually leave one of these days and stop caring. 

To worry about other people's money as a fan is just as silly as wanting to spend it.  What do you care?

If you want my take you'll have to read up.

Raiola Recruiting

We always have choices.  We could have spent $500M on renovations instead of $155M.  We could have put $10M in assistant coaches salary pool instead $4.75M.  We should have offered Saban $20M per year.

The reality is we don't/didn't do any of these things.  It's a value proposition that we all make everyday.  That's all this is.

But the only way this program will turn around is blowing the wad on a kid that has never taken a college snap?  This is the only way we will escape mediocrity?  One player will break the Frost advisory?

You can chase unicorns, but you're spending others money.  You're running blind by looking at one thing.  X=Y, High Ranked QB = Program Turnaround.  Calibraska Model!  Don't feel bad, there's a lot of people that do that.  Our unwillingness to push all our chips into the middle on legacy top rank QB isn't even close to our top issue.  I for one am glad we are not going Barrett Jackson with this kid.

16 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

If you want my take you'll have to read up.

Raiola Recruiting

We always have choices.  We could have spent $500M on renovations instead of $155M.  We could have put $10M in assistant coaches salary pool instead $4.75M.  We should have offered Saban $20M per year.

The reality is we don't/didn't do any of these things.  It's a value proposition that we all make everyday.  That's all this is.

But the only way this program will turn around is blowing the wad on a kid that has never taken a college snap?  This is the only way we will escape mediocrity?  One player will break the Frost advisory?

You can chase unicorns, but you're spending others money.  You're running blind by looking at one thing.  X=Y, High Ranked QB = Program Turnaround.  Calibraska Model!  Don't feel bad, there's a lot of people that do that.  Our unwillingness to push all our chips into the middle on legacy top rank QB isn't even close to our top issue.  I for one am glad we are not going Barrett Jackson with this kid.

I never said he was the only way to turn around the program, but if he ends up as good as advertised that could speed this up and I'd like to see them try. Who knows if the numbers being reported are accurate, if that's what it would take to get him here etc. We want a good product and we aren't getting it recently, so them being good stuards of the coffers isn't doing anything for me.  These are all amounts of money that none of us normal folk will ever understand.  If we gave him money, and all the recruits he'd bring with, and we still fail, that's no different than the last decade. But at least we tried. This would be a bit different than Calibraska when our recruiting classes were still top 20ish. We're talking a potential top 10 class with Raiola which can actually change the trajectory of a program.

If you're good plodding along with the same level of recruits and going for better development that's cool too.  Personally, I'm hoping for development with a much higher level of athlete.  That only happens if we swing for the fences here and play this NIL game, like it or not.  If we sing and miss, we still get the kind of kids we are right now to sign up. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

But if

So you are convinced he won't end up being any good or you simply don't want to play in NIL at all?  This is where things are headed, like it or not.  @Cdog923 mentioned this isn't the #8 ranked dual threat QB, it's the #1 overall recruit and he's interested.  There's a 99% chance that's not going to happen again at Nebraska.  You can say we're not there yet, and we should wait until some arbitrary future date, but that's not how opportunity works.  It presents itself whether you're ready or not, and you either go for it or you don't. 

Agree to disagree.  Have a good weekend.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

So you are convinced he won't end up being any good or you simply don't want to play in NIL at all?  This is where things are headed, like it or not.  @Cdog923 mentioned this isn't the #8 ranked dual threat QB, it's the #1 overall recruit and he's interested.  There's a 99% chance that's not going to happen again at Nebraska.  You can say we're not there yet, and we should wait until some arbitrary future date, but that's not how opportunity works.  It presents itself whether you're ready or not, and you either go for it or you don't. 

Agree to disagree.  Have a good weekend.

99% chance of what based upon what?  Magic 8 ball stuff here.

Dollars are real.  Wins and losses are real.  Missing bowl games and losing seasons are real.

Your thought on how the team will perform based upon a score projected by another person/people is not real.  It’s a projection just like the Frost advisory.  The obviously is no sure thing but this is an unnecessary risk (my opinion).

Let the program stabilize and mature before we start taking more unnecessary risks.

4 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

99% chance of what based upon what?  Magic 8 ball stuff here.

Dollars are real.  Wins and losses are real.  Missing bowl games and losing seasons are real.

Your thought on how the team will perform based upon a score projected by another person/people is not real.  It’s a projection just like the Frost advisory.  The obviously is no sure thing but this is an unnecessary risk (my opinion).

Let the program stabilize and mature before we start taking more unnecessary risks.

Yes... get all the terrible players coach them up and the good ones will follow ss they watch us go.5-6 and get out athleted. Makes perfect sense. Not. Would you do this with a business you're just starting? Get mediocre talent at best and hope they can get by for a few years as your business "matures?" Heck no, you'd go out of business before you ever magically "matured."

Get the best you can get period. If there was a legit chance at Riaola you'd be an idiot to not.go after him. Just like Frost was an idiot to not go after Burrows.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
12 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Yes... get all the terrible players coach them up and the good ones will follow ss they watch us go.5-6 and get out athleted. Makes perfect sense. Not. Would you do this with a business you're just starting? Get mediocre talent at best and hope they can get by for a few years as your business "matures?" Heck no, you'd go out of business before you ever magically "matured."

Get the best you can get period. If there was a legit chance at Riaola you'd be an idiot to not.go after him. Just like Frost was an idiot to not go after Burrows.

Who’s Burrows?

I like the business analogy.  I think it works.  Have you ever started one?

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Every single recruit that gets recruited or comes to campus is a “but if” until they prove themselves.   Might as well throw in with the top rated “but if’s”

That “but if” isn’t attached to $3.5M+ in most cases.

It’d be a great world if we lived in a vacuum.  The world we actually live has outcomes determined by 100s, sometimes 1000s of variables.  You control those that you can in an effort to get the output that you desire.

Seen a lot of home brew stats around this subject.  Everyone is a “but if”.  The risk of a “but if” at $50K, is different than a “but if” at $3.5M.  The state of this program, as well as the obvious efforts of Rhule trying to build a brotherhood, has me believing it is not the right time to add a high $ golden boy.  

We kind of did that.  He’s got a nice house in Arizona right now.

4 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Seen a lot of home brew stats around this subject.  Everyone is a “but if”.  The risk of a “but if” at $50K, is different than a “but if” at $3.5M.  The state of this program, as well as the obvious efforts of Rhule trying to build a brotherhood, has me believing it is not the right time to add a high $ golden boy.

1) unless you are paying the money why would it matter to you if some entity does?  Why not be the biggest NIL program and have that advantage (for recruits that the coaching staff feels fit the program obviously)  what other advantage does NU have?   None that I can think of.  
2) the risk is high but so is the reward of hitting on a top talent QB.  What’s the point in calling the kid golden boy?   He’s doing what every other kid in his position should do.  
3).  Why do you bring Scott Frost into this discussion?  

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

1) unless you are paying the money why would it matter to you if some entity does?  Why not be the biggest NIL program and have that advantage (for recruits that the coaching staff feels fit the program obviously)  what other advantage does NU have?   None that I can think of.  
2) the risk is high but so is the reward of hitting on a top talent QB.  What’s the point in calling the kid golden boy?   He’s doing what every other kid in his position should do.  
3).  Why do you bring Scott Frost into this discussion?  

It’s really pretty simple.  

If I was running the program (as my business) I’d pass.  You wouldn’t.  It’s fine.

My line of work has me asking people at least once a week “is this how you’d spend the money if it was your business and not Mega Corp”.  It’s a real problem. 

GBR

• Plus1 1