What is Killing College Football

Ive had the opportunity to watch more bowl games than ever due to work scheduleing and it seems like the average player is not giving as much as they did before.  Now this is just my observation but in the bowl games ive been watching dont really see people giving it there all.  To win a rose bowl, or fiesta bowl just to be there seemed like it meant alot more.  Do you think its the college football playoff being set as the ultimate goal and if your not in those final 4 spots then whats the point.  Is that why we are seeing more people opt out of playing in bowl games.  Or is it this new crop of kids and how they look at there future prospects or value that is making the difference.  Is it the development of the NIL that has put players in the driverseat of there own future as far as earnings outside of the NFL.  And are we the ones who are the ones thinking like dinosaurs.  It seems that alot of us are just ok with a person sacrificing there body for our entertainment with no monumental reimbersement for themselves other than possibly a free college education and the possible prospects of having a future career.  

I started thinking about this during the ohio st game when they talked about how many players they had opt out.  But you have a team like Utah who seemingly wanted to put i tall on the line for pride.  Either way you look at there has been a shift that started with the playoffs and now with NIL there has been a change.  Was wanting to hear what the groups thoughts were on the subject.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I would hate the playoff to go beyond 8 teams which seems inevitable. College football is great because every game matters. It is must watch TV every Saturday because that school that is having a hu-hum year can rise up and create the big upset and knock that big name team out of the playoff. Don’t mess that up!  I watch very little NFL. Why? Because a week 7 game between the Packers and Vikings doesn’t mean anything. Or a week 10 game between the Cowboys and Giants probably doesn’t matter. But if Ohio State loses in week 2 or Alabama loses in week 8 it is huge. I was shocked hearing how many OSU players sat out the Rose Bowl. This is not the Gasparilla Bowl, it’s the freakin’ Rose Bowl! I’m concerned we could be losing a very special thing. Don’t screw it up!

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

My son and I were talking about some of this today during the games.  It is interesting how much things have changed in such a short time.  I think we all agreed the players needed more control over themselves in a college world where the coaches and administrators held 100% of the power.  With NIL and the transfer portal made things shift too quickly.  I think the market can't handle the craziness of NIL.  That will somewhat correct itself.

I still like bowl games.  I like learning more about the other teams and players I don't get to see much during the year.  I coach HS football now and my son plays CFB.  I don't get to watch as much regular season as before.  

I just am scared about what this whole thing will look like in 20 years.  

I would like to also see what others think.

1 minute ago, chamrocck said:

I would hate the playoff to go beyond 8 teams which seems inevitable. College football is great because every game matters. It is must watch TV every Saturday because that school that is having a hu-hum year can rise up and create the big upset and knock that big name team out of the playoff. Don’t mess that up!  I watch very little NFL. Why? Because a week 7 game between the Packers and Vikings doesn’t mean anything. Or a week 10 game between the Cowboys and Giants probably doesn’t matter. But if Ohio State loses in week 2 or Alabama loses in week 8 it is huge. I was shocked hearing how many OSU players sat out the Rose Bowl. This is not the Gasparilla Bowl, it’s the freakin’ Rose Bowl! I’m concerned we could be losing a very special thing. Don’t screw it up!

Great comments.  You are right about the NFL.

14 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

12 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Great comments.  You are right about the NFL.

Those are things only some sentimental college football fans say, the ones that don't like the NFL.  You're in the minority however among sports fans overall as the NFL kills in ratings every regular season week. The argument that they don't mean anything is just silly, it matters to get into the playoffs and for seeding.  It's a weak argument.  The NFL playoffs, and literally every other sport on earth's, are better than bowls. Bowl games can be fun TV, but they really don't mean much beyond pride for that schools fans because they don't lead anywhere.  It's a glorified exhibition game.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3

It’s all of the above. It is no longer a team first deal. IMO that is what made CFB special, or at least significantly different than pro ball. NIL is about the player. The portal is about the player. Opting out of bowl games, risking injury, giving less than 100%, all about me, the player. The only thing the school gets anymore is the money, just like before except now the players want theirs too. It’s a business. No more school pride or sacrificing for something larger than self.

And that attitude has been and is trickling into the fanbase. Why should we invest and care about players who will walk out the door tomorrow for a perceived better deal? All they owe us now is great plays and wins, now, today. What happens when we don’t get that? It’s a s#!t sandwich.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Those are things only some sentimental college football fans say, the ones that don't like the NFL.  You're in the minority however among sports fans overall as the NFL kills in ratings every regular season week. The argument that they don't mean anything is just silly, it matters to get into the playoffs and for seeding.  It's a weak argument.  The NFL playoffs, and literally every other sport on earth's, are better than bowls. Bowl games can be fun TV, but they really don't mean much beyond pride for that schools fans because they don't lead anywhere.  It's a glorified exhibition game.

I watch the NFL, I think you missed the point the OP was making, but you are running blind, so it is all good! JK

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Every game doesn’t matter anymore though. Hell Georgia lost the last game of the year and still got in the playoff. So that game meant nothing. Especially when they lost by 3 scores and still got in. It used to be if you lost early enough you could get back in contention. Now you can lose the last game of the season 

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I was responding to you, ignoring the OP, and starting further off on a tangent. Is that not what we do around here?! :lol::cheers

:D

The thing I like about CFB, is that unless you are Alabama or Georgia, or sometimes OSU.  You have to win them all.  In the NFL you can lose tons of games and still make the playoffs.  I love CFB, I just wonder what it will look like in 20 years.  What needs to be fixed?  I think we just have to all adjust.  Just like we did as a fanbase to being awful.  

Edit:  You have to win them all unless you are the top B1G team or the top 2 SEC teams.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Does any game mean anything?  Due to Covid, I’ve watched nearly every game. So many that I can’t recall what day or who played who or where.  I enjoyed every game up until yesterday. The Purdue game, the Iowa Stare game, the Iowa game, and others were so much fun. 

The Ohio state game sucked, no doubt. 

For all the great comments posted, you can distill all of the problems down to one element...money.

Competition has been corrupted by it at the collegiate level.  The game is nothing more than a semi-pro league for aspiring NFL talent.  

It explains why a sport such as Women's College Volleyball is so enjoyable to watch.  Team and competition remain the core elements.

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I like the NFL just fine. But my point was college football has a built in playoff through its regular season. To say the regular season NFL games are as meaningful is silly. Sure you will get some of that naturally but when the Cowboys lose in week 14 and still win their puny division it is not the same as when OSU loses to Michigan and and the winner makes the playoff and the loser does not. I don’t want college to go to meaningless games. Cincy had to win every freaking week, that’s exciting for that fanbase and college football fans. Every single game mattered. Yet some 8-8 team makes the NFL playoffs. Meh.