What is Killing College Football

28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The simple answer to "what's wrong with college football" is that it generates too much money. Too many people are able to monetize the sport, and it's lost any semblance of an amateur sport.

Exactly.

I can complain about the players opting out, transferring, seeking out their best monetary options etc. but that doesn’t mean I blame them for doing so. They would be crazy to not protect their financial interests just like the coaches and schools and networks do. The only difference is, it didn’t used to be this way. So it is quite a bit of “man yells at cloud” syndrome.

Sorry but I liked the sport better when a scholarship was enough for the player and it was team first individual second. But I don’t blame the players or coaches or whoever else takes care of numero uno first. That’s just the way it is now. I don’t have to like it or think it’s better and I don’t so…

abe-simpson-abe-simpson-cloud.gif

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

The simple answer to "what's wrong with college football" is that it generates too much money. Too many people are able to monetize the sport, and it's lost any semblance of an amateur sport.

This.

It's the sport and its governing bodies that have changed far more than the players who, historically speaking, have had little say about any of it. That's why I find some of the heat thrown at players by the likes of Kirk Herbstreit this past week just laughably near-sighted and sanctimonious. The people with the least control seemingly taking the most criticism. It has only been in recent history that the players have started to gain more tangible benefits that are comparable to their value (NIL, transfer portal, bowl game opt outs). I don't see anything changing so long as the money is what it is. And I certainly don't put that on the players.

I also don't blame anybody for not exactly getting hype to go play in the Famous Idaho Potato bowl when everybody knows the CFP playoff games are the only tangible post-season games that matter.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

The SEC...that's what has ruined football.  Bunch of pussies who won't come north of the Mason Dixon line to play football after September cuz they might catch cold.  Then they play in a playoff or bowl game at sites they can drive to in an afternoon to play some team that had to fly in from bum-f*ck Washington on an expensive charter and who gets two days to acclimate themselves to the change from -10 degrees and snow to 80s and high humidity.  THEN...they play in front of a stadium packed with their fans because none of their opponents fans are there because they couldn't afford a flight, couldn't find a flight, couldn't get a week off from work, to whatever.

Make the SEC go to Montana or Michigan to play outside in January for their bowl games.  Then we'll see how tough the mighty SEC is.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This.

It's the sport and its governing bodies that have changed far more than the players who, historically speaking, have had little say about any of it. That's why I find some of the heat thrown at players by the likes of Kirk Herbstreit this past week just laughably near-sighted and sanctimonious. The people with the least control seemingly taking the most criticism. It has only been in recent history that the players have started to gain more tangible benefits that are comparable to their value (NIL, transfer portal, bowl game opt outs). I don't see anything changing so long as the money is what it is. And I certainly don't put that on the players.

I also don't blame anybody for not exactly getting hype to go play in the Famous Idaho Potato bowl when everybody knows the CFP playoff games are the only tangible post-season games that matter.

I don’t see Herbstreits comments as that bad. I’d imagine if he were on a radio show or had a segment dedicated to this opinion, that he would not have posted a follow up to elaborate. The reality is that he’s right and the players today are not wrong, either. The game was once played more out of love than money, it’s not a slam but it’s just the way it is. Not a big deal and people offended because it’s interpreted as attacking individuals rather than the culture.

Edit to add: there is a study recently performed where people were to evaluate billionaires as a whole and their wealth vs identifying individuals who are billionaires and their wealth. The results show that there is more empathy for the individual than the demographic. It’s an interesting study. 

• Plus1 1

Personally, I don't like how frequent we can't watch our own games even within state without having to pay for viewing them or having a subscription.

I don't know that this is one of the main contributors but it sure seems money/revenue and greed is playing a larger role in sports all the time. Wasn't how it used to be. Things worked pretty well. 

There are probably a variety of things hurting college football. I didn't read through all the comments and don't know what's been mentioned. I guess we need fancier uniforms, higher salaries and different stuff nowadays that we didn't have before to make it all function properly (Lol).

Makes me wonder if I and others should make big cuts to our contributions to bring things more in line with budgeting issues. 

20 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I would hate the playoff to go beyond 8 teams which seems inevitable. College football is great because every game matters. It is must watch TV every Saturday because that school that is having a hu-hum year can rise up and create the big upset and knock that big name team out of the playoff. Don’t mess that up!  I watch very little NFL. Why? Because a week 7 game between the Packers and Vikings doesn’t mean anything. Or a week 10 game between the Cowboys and Giants probably doesn’t matter. But if Ohio State loses in week 2 or Alabama loses in week 8 it is huge. I was shocked hearing how many OSU players sat out the Rose Bowl. This is not the Gasparilla Bowl, it’s the freakin’ Rose Bowl! I’m concerned we could be losing a very special thing. Don’t screw it up!

You picking 2 sets of divisional opponents and then claiming those games don't matter is....interesting.  

I like watching CFB, I like watching the NFL.  I don't care in the least about players opting out, do what you think is best.  There are some good gripes here about CFB but my biggest one is how choppy and long the games are.  The NFL has thing down to a science, outside of OT, you're out in a little more than 3 hours.  We've all had to sit through some 4+ hour snoozefests on the college side.  If college was smart, they would take some cues from the NFL in terms of clock management.  Institute a 2 minute warning and don't stop the clock for a first down.

Plus the great thing about the NFL is frankly the quality of the games are significantly higher.  You're getting the best of the best going at each other week after week.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

You picking 2 sets of divisional opponents and then claiming those games don't matter is....interesting.  

I like watching CFB, I like watching the NFL.  I don't care in the least about players opting out, do what you think is best.  There are some good gripes here about CFB but my biggest one is how choppy and long the games are.  The NFL has thing down to a science, outside of OT, you're out in a little more than 3 hours.  We've all had to sit through some 4+ hour snoozefests on the college side.  If college was smart, they would take some cues from the NFL in terms of clock management.  Institute a 2 minute warning and don't stop the clock for a first down.

Plus the great thing about the NFL is frankly the quality of the games are significantly higher.  You're getting the best of the best going at each other week after week.

Plus the salary cap and draft structure allow for pretty good parity. Any team can beat any other team any week.  Wild card teams win the super bowl sometimes.  I enjoy the playoffs no matter if my team is in or not.  I rarely can say that about college.  I enjoyed some games yesterday but couldn't give two licks about Bama v. Georgia 2 (don't count on Georgia don't any better this time).

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

1)  McCaffrey's teammates (and current players now) understood his position going into that one final game, know that he has given everything to the program and has been a great teammate, and that risking injury for a bowl game is not worth it for their future careers.

2)  The bowl games are pretty meaningless, especially if a guy has been to a number of them early in his career.  The bowl games were created to bring teams from different regions of the country, as a reward for a very successful season.  Now, even average teams makde it to a bowl.  The same guys on ESPN work for the network who created and own many of these bowls.  The expansion in number of bowls in the past 10-20 years was done to create more content for ESPN over the holidays.  ESPN also has a huge stake in the playoff, and do everything in their power to generate interest in the playoff.  ESPN has created the thought that if a team doesn't make the playoff, that everything else is meaningless.   

Good response.

But I still don't like it. 

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It seems easier for adults to "blame the kids nowadays" when it's usually the actions of adults creating the rules and feeding the thoughts of the kids.  If there is a kid "thinking about himself" there is an adult(s) right next to him/her trying to monetize off that kid.

The world is weird...you have people who ridicule these players for making financial decisions because "they are kids" , "it's not all about the $" and "be a teammate". And people who influence/coax "your an adult", "make your $ when you can", and "take care of yourself and loved ones." 

Several factors have ruined football.   TV deals for conferences which then led to conference swapping started this trend.  Realignment.  Face the music.  Nebraska for one, has lost its way and its identity.  Colorado?  Missouri?  How has it worked out?  We threw out rivalry games and history for some money and since have been a laughing stock.  Oh, I forgot what ruined college football, not Husker football.  So yeah money has started this downward process.  Now, I actually think this 4 team playoff has further killed the sport.  It no accident that Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma  and Notre Dame have played in this system more than others.  Clear path.  We need at least a 12 team, if not 16 team playoff.  More teams, more recuits going to more schools not named Georgia and Bama.  SEC period. This makes USC, Miami, Notre Dame, Baylor ETC way more viable in the sport.  When players from California are going to Bama, Georgia, Ohio ST, ETC its because playoff viability and NIL.  The only way college football can survive is if USC, Miami, Florida ST, Notre DAme, and yes Nebraska get back to some respect.  National relevance.  Not just these few schools, but we need more traditional and blue blood programs back into the mix.  With the way it is right now, Bama is choking out everyone else.  Don't blame the SEC totally.  Bama is head and shoulders above everyone, except maybe Georgia.  Its not a fluke that the other SEC schools have not really competed greatly against other P-5 programs this bowl season.  Its clearly a few schools on top and everyone else.