What is Killing College Football

If we went to a 24 team playoff (like fcs), "what ruined college football" would go away for a good amount of time.

These dudes are making $ and that ain't going to change. 

Bowl games are increasingly meaningless and that ain't going to change.

A big a$$ playoff would put the "my team vs yours with implications" back into every almost every single game in regular season and obviously post season.

I give ZERO s#!ts about who wins the "Sunbelt" currently (honestly unsure if that is still a conference)..but if I know an undefeated Sunbelt team going into the last game of the year could replace a 8-4 Nebraska for the 24th spot if they win, you can be sure as s#!t I care.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

If we went to a 24 team playoff (like fcs), "what ruined college football" would go away for a good amount of time.

These dudes are making $ and that ain't going to change. 

Bowl games are increasingly meaningless and that ain't going to change.

A big a$$ playoff would put the "my team vs yours with implications" back into every almost every single game in regular season and obviously post season.

I give ZERO s#!ts about who wins the "Sunbelt" currently (honestly unsure if that is still a conference)..but if I know an undefeated Sunbelt team going into the last game of the year could replace a 8-4 Nebraska for the 24th spot if they win, you can be sure as s#!t I care.

Dude, a 24 team playoff would be epic.

We ALL love March Madness and we love/hate upsets but for some reason people pretend like they would hate a big CFB playoff.

I will NOT run to the TV to watch the end of a close Mayo Bowl...but I would be at the bar all day to watch the first round (at home schools) games.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

An expanded team playoff that is exclusively owned and run by ESPN.  Great idea...for those that own Disney stock.

Half of the teams will be from the SEC and you can forget about any Cinderella stories.  Non-Power 5 teams do not enhance the bottom line for those working in Bristol.  Cincinnati, even at 12-0, would have been excluded this year absent the victory over Notre Dame.

Forgive me, but watching Alabama win the Championship by playing the likes of Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, and Georgia a second time in a season does not sound entertaining.  Did we finally put to rest the notion that the SEC is the best conference in the country?  5-6 bowl record as a league.  

Rather than focusing on an expanded playoff, can we first begin by focusing on eliminating exclusivity for the playoff coverage?  This might actually lead to a better, and more balanced, playoff field.  

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, teachercd said:

No it isn't.

Yes it is. Or any change for any reason is awesome no matter if it negatively affects the game or not. If you don’t like it, you’re just being old. 

Fact is, some change is good and some is bad. Pointing out the bad doesn’t make you a stuffy old guy that just hates change. 

There are a lot of fans who don’t think the sport is as good as it used to be. Dismissing that for whatever reason is ignoring a problem the sport has. 

• Plus1 1

I’ll preface by saying yes, I am old. Boomerish if you will. 

But we now have teams made up of kids from this “me first” generation. And everyone of them is ready to become the next big thing in the NFL.  There is no team any more. I get the portal, if coaches can bolt at any time,  why not the players. But this opting out, especially at the last minute is what I really detest. Bailing on your teammates the night before a bowl game (I wish I could remember which team) just doesn’t sit well with me. But again, I’m from a different generation where the team came first, not the individual. Obviously that is not ruining the game, I thought there were several extremely entertaining bowl games this year, it’s just the part of it that really turns me off. 

OK, I’ll get back to yelling at clouds now. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

I’ll preface by saying yes, I am old. Boomerish if you will. 

But we now have teams made up of kids from this “me first” generation. And everyone of them is ready to become the next big thing in the NFL.  There is no team any more. I get the portal, if coaches can bolt at any time,  why not the players. But this opting out, especially at the last minute is what I really detest. Bailing on your teammates the night before a bowl game (I wish I could remember which team) just doesn’t sit well with me. But again, I’m from a different generation where the team came first, not the individual. Obviously that is not ruining the game, I thought there were several extremely entertaining bowl games this year, it’s just the part of it that really turns me off. 

OK, I’ll get back to yelling at clouds now. 

It doesn’t have anything to do with someone being old. 

Somewhere, I remember seeing stats that show interest in college football is declining. That’s  a problem for the long term viability of the sport. If any time a concern is brought up about how things have changed and hurt the sport is met with this attitude, it diminishes the ability to have an honest discussion about it. 

Don’t get me wrong, I understand why a player opts out. But, that doesn’t change how that hurts the sport and adds to why some people aren’t watching. 

The sport has to figure out how to counter that. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Rather than focusing on an expanded playoff, can we first begin by focusing on eliminating exclusivity for the playoff coverage? 

This is a big hangup of the expansion to 12.  B1G and Pac want the playoff games to go to bid with a split package between TV networks.

• Plus1 1

It just seems like ESPN has too much sway in who makes the playoffs. Let’s say Pitt was undefeated and played a one loss Clemson for the ACC CFG. If Clemson wins do you thing Pitt would get a sniff at making the playoffs? Same way with Ohio St if they beat Michigan. Does Michigan get a shot like Georgia did this year? It seems only SEC teams have the easy road in and ESPN has the most to gain.

• Plus1 2

It seems like we focused way too much on the NCAA being the problem and it is actually ESPN.  When the Longhorn Network started, I stopped watching ESPN for everything except live games.

I used to tape and watch the CFB show every afternoon.  The show were they had the Longhorn Network segment, I was like, "I'm out!"

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

This is a big hangup of the expansion to 12.  B1G and Pac want the playoff games to go to bid with a split package between TV networks.

I completely agree with this approach.  Now that we have a network that not only shapes the playoff participation process (based on its' own interests), but also tampers with league membership to that same end (see UT and OU to SEC), it would be wise to eliminate exclusive coverage rights for this event.

I know CBS maintains exclusive rights to the NCAA tournament, but last time I checked, CBS does not shape the composition of the tournament field.