What is Killing College Football

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not to stick up for the dreadful CFP leaders, in 2014 the games were on New Year's Day and in 2021 they were on New Year's Eve.  Huge difference in TV numbers between those days.

A better comparison would be 2015 and 2016 when the games were on NYE.

Bama/Mich St 18.6M

Clem/Okla 15.7M

Bama/Wash 18.3M

Clem/Ohio St 19.2M

So this year would rank 4th and 5th out of 6 NYE playoff games for viewers.  Not great, but better than represented in the tweet.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I wonder if there should be a "D" league for the NFL like there is for basketball and minor leagues for baseball.  Let those who think they can get to the NFL or perhaps a draft of some kind like baseball play in the D league with their own championship process.  Let the rest of college football be that - college football like it was before.  

NIL and the Portal are ruining college football IMHO.  We now have guys jumping into the portal to see if they can get a sweeter NIL deal. 

Let the NFL pay for and create a developmental league instead of relying on the colleges to do so.  They could 'recruit' (draft) players out of high school. Perhaps a 'student athlete' could transfer from a college to a development league if they have 1 year of eligibility remaining and proved they are ready for a D league or the NFL. 

Just my wandering thoughts.  We need to increase the coaching staff to 11 by adding a "General Manager" to handle all of the NIL/Transfer issues. 

• Plus1 1

I reiterate, money has corrupted the game to the point that it is becoming unrecognizable.  Conference realignment where regional rivalries are tossed in favor of odd unions such as Missouri / South Carolina and Kansas / West Virginia (money).  Coaches that leave elite schools at the drop of the hat (money).  Players that either transfer to a new school or enroll early (Ewers) (NIL money).  Playoff participants largely coming from a single league each year based on a networks profitability (money).

Say what you will about the good old days and the antiquated regional system; loaner cars, money handshakes, etc., there was an understanding that this behavior was frowned upon publicly and as a result, it was kept quiet.  Amateurism still maintained some level of virtue.  Today, money is so brazenly and openly behind every decision in the game.  The fig leaf has been removed for all time...

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Playoff participants largely coming from a single league each year based on a networks profitability (money).

Or it could be because they kick the crap out of the other teams from the other leagues.  There may be some SEC bias but you can't reasonably say that Georgia and Alabama aren't the two best teams this year or that they were undeserving of any of the other past nominations.  I think the committees have done a pretty dang good job of putting the best teams in each year.  That has nothing to do with ESPN, Money, or some kind of favoritism.  They have just simply been better.

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder if there should be a "D" league for the NFL like there is for basketball and minor leagues for baseball.  Let those who think they can get to the NFL or perhaps a draft of some kind like baseball play in the D league with their own championship process.  Let the rest of college football be that - college football like it was before.  

NIL and the Portal are ruining college football IMHO.  We now have guys jumping into the portal to see if they can get a sweeter NIL deal. 

Let the NFL pay for and create a developmental league instead of relying on the colleges to do so.  They could 'recruit' (draft) players out of high school. Perhaps a 'student athlete' could transfer from a college to a development league if they have 1 year of eligibility remaining and proved they are ready for a D league or the NFL. 

Just my wandering thoughts.  We need to increase the coaching staff to 11 by adding a "General Manager" to handle all of the NIL/Transfer issues. 

How many times have they attempted to generate a new football league and it's failed miserably every time?

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Players had the same opportunity to sit-out in the past as they do now, they had the same opportunity of being drafted and accumulating wealth, now it’s just exponentially more important to people. The difference now is it’s more normalized and acceptable.

I don't think the bolded is really that accurate. A lot has changed in the last 5-10 years compared to the prior 5-10 years compared to the prior 5-10 years. And it still doesn't take away from the fact that it's the sport and the management of the sport that has changed, thus resulting in players looking out for their financial futures more rather than their "love" of the game. Things are substantially different nowadays vs. the days when Kirk and Desmond played, even though they had stakes and financial interests at the time. It's not what it is today.

It's OK to admit this era has created more business minded athletes

I don't think that's in question. I agree. My point was that I don't think this correlates to a) love of the game and b) Kirk's comments not being slam-worthy. He was absolutely taking a dunk on kids who are putting their futures and financial interests at top of mind and that's nonsense, particularly when his entire salary the last ~20 years has been dependent on these kids. I think he's perhaps more consciously/subconsciously frustrated that the "business" advantage that has been dominating these athletes for decades has shifted to a more athlete-friendly environment.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:47 PM, Stone Cold said:

Ive had the opportunity to watch more bowl games than ever due to work scheduleing and it seems like the average player is not giving as much as they did before.  Now this is just my observation but in the bowl games ive been watching dont really see people giving it there all.  To win a rose bowl, or fiesta bowl just to be there seemed like it meant alot more.  Do you think its the college football playoff being set as the ultimate goal and if your not in those final 4 spots then whats the point.  Is that why we are seeing more people opt out of playing in bowl games.  Or is it this new crop of kids and how they look at there future prospects or value that is making the difference.  Is it the development of the NIL that has put players in the driverseat of there own future as far as earnings outside of the NFL.  And are we the ones who are the ones thinking like dinosaurs.  It seems that alot of us are just ok with a person sacrificing there body for our entertainment with no monumental reimbersement for themselves other than possibly a free college education and the possible prospects of having a future career.  

I started thinking about this during the ohio st game when they talked about how many players they had opt out.  But you have a team like Utah who seemingly wanted to put i tall on the line for pride.  Either way you look at there has been a shift that started with the playoffs and now with NIL there has been a change.  Was wanting to hear what the groups thoughts were on the subject.

1. Too much money in it

2. Too many commercials.

3.  Too many attorneys.

4. Too many replays

5. Taking tv timeouts during targeting replays to determine if a kid should be kicked out.

6. Poorest officiating ever. (dependent on replay booth officials)

7. Cant hit anyone.

8. Penalty on every punt return.

9.  Full grown men who don't know what a catch is.

10.  Too many rules.

Why can teams call timeouts before a play srarts or just to ice a kicker?  In basketball can a coach call a timeout right before a shooter releases a free throw?

Why do quarterbacks get to slide? 

Why are there times a team can't advance a fumble?

Which communist invented "targeting?"

How come if a receiver crosses the plane of the goal with  a freshly caught ball they have to survive contact with the ground, but a running back can cross the plane, fall down and fumble, but it still is a touchdown?  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

College football is a multi-billion dollar industry where the key employees were not getting paid. It was always going to move this direction as the billions kept pouring in. TV changed it all. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that it makes sense. Honestly it has me more interested in the NFL than I ever have been. NFL football is obviously better ball, contracts/draft means players are with teams for multiple years, competitive balance is much better. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
18 hours ago, TGHusker said:

It's an interesting thought except the NFL has zero incentive to do any of this as college football is already in existence as their defacto minor leagues.  The NFL has certainly tried it in the past.  NFL Europe, etc.

If you're looking for football to go back to the 'way it was', my suggestion would be to start following FCS and pick out a team or two.  The Dakota schools are a good place to start with the amount of Nebraska kids they pull each year.

Also, plenty of good seats still available on the Nebraska Wrestling bandwagon!  The 4 or 5 of us who post in the forum regularly would love to have you!

32 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

It is definitely not fine, it is just that there are now umpteen bajillion millenials who never saw how good it used to be, and don't know the difference.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, nupowr said:

It is definitely not fine, it is just that there are now umpteen bajillion millenials who never saw how good it used to be, and don't know the difference.  

So, you're saying that there are a lot of 26-41 year olds watching college football now?

That's what millennials are...yeah, that's the problem.