What is Killing College Football

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

The Dakota schools are a good place to start with the amount of Nebraska kids they pull each year.

I'm a SDSU grad (1978) so I do follow them and they have come sooo close to winning the NC the last 2 years as they have finally figured out how to beat NDSU.  Back when I was in college the North Central Conf had SDSU, usd, NDSU, UND,  etc and it was basically a Div 2 replica of the Big 8 - strong in football & wrestling - arguably the toughest conference in Div 2 for those sports.  

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm a SDSU grad (1978) so I do follow them and they have come sooo close to winning the NC the last 2 years as they have finally figured out how to beat NDSU.  Back when I was in college the North Central Conf had SDSU, usd, NDSU, UND,  etc and it was basically a Div 2 replica of the Big 8 - strong in football & wrestling - arguably the toughest conference in Div 2 for those sports.  

That's awesome TG.  I would have guessed they had stud hockey teams too.  Seemed like Minnesota had tons of smaller schools skating as well.

13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

SDSU has a kid from my neck of the woods coming in next year.  He's about 6'4" 285 DL.  He's a wrestler as well.  Remember the name Logan Green.   He's gonna be a stud up there.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yup, absolutely remember those days.  I was at UNO when they were D2 and played in the NCC.  Lots of good games back on the turf at Caniglia

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, nupowr said:

It is definitely not fine, it is just that there are now umpteen bajillion millenials who never saw how good it used to be, and don't know the difference.  

Eh, I've been watching football for 50+ years and the game itself is still good. Sometimes really good. Just not so much for Nebraska. 

It's popular music that's not as good as it used to be. That's just stone-cold fact. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

On 1/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, Hilltop said:

Only if CCGs remains a thing.  I was imagining week 11 being a pair against your equal week.  Top from each division play each other, 2nd in each play each other, etc...  Top 4 from each power 5 make it in along with top 4 outside power 5.  Don't see it happening but not much else to discuss right now.

The teams seeded 9-24 would have the possibility of playing five playoff games, which means their max would be 17.  Probably not likely but possible.

Disney/ABC/ESPN haven't helped. They quite clearly have told us, only the CFP matter. Try to listen to the announcers for the Mayo Bowl or whatever...they fired every single good announcer they had. The broadcasts are s#!t. Bowl Games were always exhibition games. Always. Sure, in the Big Ten, the Rose Bowl mattered and I think it still does, personally. The turf is magical. The atmosphere...all of it. But, for the teams, any bowl matters the same, it is exposure (sort of), recruiting, extra practice time, a trip (maybe) to someplace warm with a fun experience...that's all any game has ever been. If i was looking at the draft, I wouldn't risk injury over an exhibition game. NIL is going to ruin college football in my opinion.

Free education should be enough.

• Plus1 2

Is there a scenario where we keep the traditional bowls (Orange, Cotton, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, ETC) for the playoffs and take all the other bowls and turn them into preseason-preconference invite games?  Take the whole first week of the season and have games at sites like the Alamo bowl, Gator Bowl, Sun Bowl, ETC.  Let those cities have a fun week of what ever and it allows for money to be spent and the weather is better.  It would be no different than going to Ireland for a game in my opinion.  Pick 10-20 bowl sites and have invite games.  Games that garner national attention, and games like Nebraska vs OU, or Nebraska vs any old Big 8/12 rival.  Nebraska would be in this conversation because we travel well and spend money.  Just a thought. No different than early season hoops games/ tourney's in Hawaii and Vegas.  Spread the wealth, keep the bowl sites intact, just in a different time frame.  Tell me that we wouldn't travel to San Antone and watch us play Texas or TExas AM? 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

College football lost me this year when I didn't care about any team in the Final Four. 

But holy crap. The final week of the NFL was absolutely loaded with crazy games and incredible plays in games that mattered. 

Yup, adding an additional playoff team increased regular season relevance to games..amazing concept

• Plus1 3
12 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Is there a scenario where we keep the traditional bowls (Orange, Cotton, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, ETC) for the playoffs and take all the other bowls and turn them into preseason-preconference invite games?  Take the whole first week of the season and have games at sites like the Alamo bowl, Gator Bowl, Sun Bowl, ETC.  Let those cities have a fun week of what ever and it allows for money to be spent and the weather is better.  It would be no different than going to Ireland for a game in my opinion.  Pick 10-20 bowl sites and have invite games.  Games that garner national attention, and games like Nebraska vs OU, or Nebraska vs any old Big 8/12 rival.  Nebraska would be in this conversation because we travel well and spend money.  Just a thought. No different than early season hoops games/ tourney's in Hawaii and Vegas.  Spread the wealth, keep the bowl sites intact, just in a different time frame.  Tell me that we wouldn't travel to San Antone and watch us play Texas or TExas AM? 

I enjoyed the kick off classic in 94 in NY city.  Preseason bowls is a great idea imo.  There are so many now all crowded into a couple weeks during the holidays when people have other obligations/plans.  Finding teams to play may be hard cause few want to add tough opponents to an already difficult enough.  Most need more easy wins, not potential losses, injuries, etc.