General cfb Questions for Husker fans from a buckeye

7 hours ago, Spartybuck said:

Hey Huskers! Happy offseason in the greatest sport there is.  Outside the SEC national championship to snooze through.

Let me start by saying I think you guys are some of the greatest fans of any sport.  You dont deserve the product that was on the field.  Not just record, but soul crushingly way in which it went down.  Maybe Scott Frost does but we can save that for another time, lets not ruin the good vibes of the new year.

Anyways Id love to get your unfiltered takes on a few things if youve got the time.

First, an issue close to me: opt outs.  For the sake of avoiding hot button issues, I will say not talking about opt outs of last season (thank you guys for saving it btw! Clemson game was probably the highlight of my sports viewing life), more talking about bowl opt outs.  I get injuries in what some would view as "meaningless" bowl games happen, but didnt your entire team play its a$$ off for two "meaningless" games once u already lost 7? Would love to know how you guys will treat players opting out once you get back to bowling.

What do you guys think of the current big ten divisions, do we need to shake them up again?

Should the big ten go to 8 conference games like the SEC?

What do you guys think about expanding the playoffs?

Are you excited about not playing us every year? I know I am.  You guys are always tougher than your record so its all risk, no reward.  Although ill miss welcoming you great people in the Shoe.

Have a great year everyone (except tonight)

- Opts outs are always going to be a thing now, and honestly, I have no problem with them. Kids that are going to be drafted high need to be selfish with their health, and if they aren't playing for a chance at a championship, they need to do a real risk analysis with their health and draft status. 

- Divisions are fine; like others have said, the West is balanced and the East is top heavy. I'd actually send Maryland back to the ACC and Rutgers to the MAC and go back to 12 teams and 6 per division (move Purdue to the East).

- 8 conference games should be the standard; let each team get one more OOC game; either a cupcake or a premier game.

- If you expand the playoff, you need to guarantee that CCG winners are in, and save a spot for the best G5 team. At this point, I would prefer 16, but 12 seems to be the way to go. Also, get rid of the committee and bring back the BCS (or a similar formula) to determine the teams. 

- For as much as you guys have blown us out, OSU is always a game to look forward to (much more so if we ever figure our problems out and start playing good football again).

I actually prefer the 9 conference games with 3 cross overs. 

It feels better beating a conf opponent, then it is to beat that extra non-conf opponent, like Southern Miss or Tulane.  It also stings more if you lose to conference teams. 

So yeah, definitely retain 9 conf games IMHO.

• Plus1 3

Opt outs

-Lame but using as an excuse for losing a game is more lame

What do you guys think of the current big ten divisions, do we need to shake them up again?

-I don't think there is as much a disparity as it may seems.  East is obviously top heavy but West has the best bowl record of any division in any conference over the past 5 years. Tough, upper mid Range teams are one of the reasons Nebraska has struggled. In the end though, I don't really mind if we shake things up.

Should the big ten go to 8 conference games like the SEC?

I would love a permanent home and home with Colorado and I'm choosing to believe if we drop to 8 that will happen. So yes.

What do you guys think about expanding the playoffs?

I think the best benefit is that the best talent wouldn't just go to the same 6 schools and there will be more parody in the sport, but the playoffs themselves would be worse. We already see at least one blowout every year, I'm not going to watch 1 seed Alabama kick the crap out of THE Liberty Flames.

Are you excited about not playing us every year? I know I am.  You guys are always tougher than your record so its all risk, no reward.  Although ill miss welcoming you great people in the Shoe.

I'm more excited to play other East teams that we haven't played as much. Somehow we were in the conference for 10 years with Indiana having last played us at home in 1977. Also, we definitely need revenge on those guys.

Have a great year everyone (except tonight)

You as well!

I like the geographic divisions. They got it right after legends and leaders was confusing.

I could live with 8 team playoff. First round higher seeds get home game. Final four is neutral offsite. I think if you go higher than 8 playoff teams you water down the regular season. The regular season in college football means something whereas I’d argue the NFL mid season is somewhat boring. Also if you make the playoff too many teams you are adding in extra game weeks that may mean shorter regular season. That may mean one less Nebraska game per year and unintended consequence could be the rich get richer.

Would prefer some more uniformity across conferences on how many conferences games are played, 8 or 9.  I do like a regular 12 game total season.  If teams are scheduling cream puffs then I might be against that and say 9 conference games.

3 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I think the best benefit is that the best talent wouldn't just go to the same 6 schools and there will be more parody in the sport, but the playoffs themselves would be worse. We already see at least one blowout every year, I'm not going to watch 1 seed Alabama kick the crap out of THE Liberty Flames.

Are you more likely to watch Alabama vs Liberty in the regular season OR 1 seed Alabma vs 16 seed Liberty in the 1st round of playoffs?