What will the game result be?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Illinois single digit win
    • Illinois double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/12/2022 at 01:35 AM

8 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Verge plays ok until he thinks he has to win the game by himself.  He gets to dribble happy.

When someone gets up in his face on defense he takes it as a personal challenge and in the B1G he's rarely going to win that "challenge".  It's a sure way to get a defensive stop for any team.

• Plus1 1

I have dumped on this team a bunch this year, deservedly so, but last night they played well for much of the game.  Effort was good, they battled.  It has never been a talent issue with some of these guys...it's what goes on between the ears.

Other than verge killing them in the final 4 minutes, it was a noble effort.  Hopefully we can keep making baby steps and keep adjusting the rotation.

I would not be sad if we get a tweet saying that verge is no longer with the program.

8 hours ago, ECisGod said:

They played much better as a team last year after Teddy Buckets left the team.  I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened if Verge left.

I disagree. They played better for one game. If Teddy Allen was on the floor both he and McGowens would be out scoring the opponent despite our dismal inside game. 
Also, Verge tries to do too much at times but it’s not like anyone else is stepping up. Minus Trey and Wilhelm it’s a pretty dire situation. If Teddy Allen was hotdogging like Verge but hit the shots we’d be having a parade for him.

The lack of a coordinated offense and endgame falls squarely on The Mayor.

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I disagree. They played better for one game. If Teddy Allen was on the floor both he and McGowens would be out scoring the opponent despite our dismal inside game. 
Also, Verge tries to do too much at times but it’s not like anyone else is stepping up. Minus Trey and Wilhelm it’s a pretty dire situation. If Teddy Allen was hotdogging like Verge but hit the shots we’d be having a parade for him.

If you don't see the obvious similarities between Allen and verge, then there is no point continuing this thread.  Allen was a ball stopper, verge is a ball stopper.  The overall offense is clearly different when the aforementioned are on the floor.  Isolation basketball over ball/player movement.  Both took ridiculously bad shots consistently.   Even if they were made, they were still stupid, selfish shots.  Both are me first guys on the floor and their hero ball hangs their teammates out to dry.

Freddie is in control of the offense, I'll give you that...it has been better when guys do what he wants them to do...when the wrong guy is on the floor, 4 guys stand still and watch the circus...

Fred is trying to fix the offense. And has made progress.  He is at fault for 2 things.  1 is bringing a guy in here like verge,  when we already had a guy like that last year in Allen...he should have known better.  And 2, he should have the stones to make personnel changes and keep verge off the floor and/or show him the door.

Those two things are on Fred.  Alonzos choices on the floor...that's all on him.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Verge is a major problem when he's on the court.  He thinks he's going to create a shot for himself way too often when it's just not there.  He doesn't have the vision to dish it out for a three when he gets tied up in the lane.  Teams have realized this, so they allow him to just dribble around like a middle school PG and then wait for him to just toss up a crap shot or turn it over.  We saw this clearly in the last 4 minutes.  This is when you need your PG to make good decisions....not being the one causing problems.

Thing is, you can clearly tell when it's going to happen. He dribbles, puts his head down and doesn't even look for someone to pass to.  He makes that decision as he's even crossing mid court.  Doesn't even look to run an offense.  That's not what Fred wants and that's why he gets pulled and you see Fred telling him that as he comes off the floor.

I've formed the opinion that other players don't even know what to do when he does it so they don't know where to move to.  We saw that in a couple of his turnovers late.  He drove into the lane, got stuck, then passed the ball to.....nobody.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Verge is a major problem when he's on the court.  He thinks he's going to create a shot for himself way too often when it's just not there.  He doesn't have the vision to dish it out for a three when he gets tied up in the lane.  Teams have realized this, so they allow him to just dribble around like a middle school PG and then wait for him to just toss up a crap shot or turn it over.  We saw this clearly in the last 4 minutes.  This is when you need your PG to make good decisions....not being the one causing problems.

Thing is, you can clearly tell when it's going to happen. He dribbles, puts his head down and doesn't even look for someone to pass to.  He makes that decision as he's even crossing mid court.  Doesn't even look to run an offense.  That's not what Fred wants and that's why he gets pulled and you see Fred telling him that as he comes off the floor.

I've formed the opinion that other players don't even know what to do when he does it so they don't know where to move to.  We saw that in a couple of his turnovers late.  He drove into the lane, got stuck, then passed the ball to.....nobody.

You make good points about Verge. That actually is what star players do, but star players don’t turn over the ball and miss the shot. If we had a guy who actually got buckets of points it would free Bryce from the triple-team and we’d see him do what he does as well as the superjanitor cleanup  work that he’s really good at.

We’d still have the problem of working Walker like a rented mule and getting pounded on the boards by any team with a pulse. We might overcome that with a couple guys who consistently score. I’m sure every opposing coach is fine with stopping Bryce and letting our 20%er 3RBers run the game.