Bill Busch Named Special Teams Coordinator

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Now put your top players on ST and make the unit an actual factor in games. No more backups and walk-ons manning special teams. 

I think it was DeJon Gomes who tweeted this past season after yet another ST debacle that if he was a Blackshirt he'd be in the coach's office demanding to be on Special Teams. 

I don't know if the coaches are keeping the top players off ST or the players don't want to do it, but that has to change. 

This has been a frustration of mine for a long time.  I would love to see a stat on how often a player gets hurt on special teams compared to a normal play.  It sure doesn't seem like there's lots of players constantly getting hurt on ST.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This has been a frustration of mine for a long time.  I would love to see a stat on how often a player gets hurt on special teams compared to a normal play.  It sure doesn't seem like there's lots of players constantly getting hurt on ST.

Unless Eric Martin is on the opposing team...LOOK OUT!!!

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I complained about the number of walk-ons on kickoff coverage after the Wisconsin TD return this past season, and I think 5 of the guys on that opening kickoff unit were walk-ons.  I know that walk-ons can be contributors, but I would rather see the best athletes on the field during those plays.  Frost will have to change his philosophy as he's tried to use special teams play as a reward for the top walk-ons.

41 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Now put your top players on ST and make the unit an actual factor in games. No more backups and walk-ons manning special teams. 

I think it was DeJon Gomes who tweeted this past season after yet another ST debacle that if he was a Blackshirt he'd be in the coach's office demanding to be on Special Teams. 

I don't know if the coaches are keeping the top players off ST or the players don't want to do it, but that has to change. 

I agree we need to get more of the top players out there for ST.  I think that has been limited over the last couple years due to serious depth issues.  Hopefully some of those have been corrected.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

I thought I read that we were potentially going to more 4-man fronts which could mean your DL coach [Dawson] now looks after (4) players on field, leaving only 2 or 3 LB's for (1) LB coach [Ruud], depending on if we're 4-3 or Nickel....

So, it it the general feeling that the 3-4 isn't working for us in the big 10?  We sure don't get the sacks we need.  Of course if we go to a 4-3 we still need that dominate pass rusher that we've been missing. Is there any potential rusher on the roster now are coming in as  a recruit or from the portal??

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So, it it the general feeling that the 3-4 isn't working for us in the big 10?  We sure don't get the sacks we need.  Of course if we go to a 4-3 we still need that dominate pass rusher that we've been missing. Is there any potential rusher on the roster now are coming in as  a recruit or from the portal??

I wouldn't say that.  There are good teams in the Big Ten that run a 3-4.  I believe we have the 3-4 as our base defense but at times put in 4-3 in certain situations.  I'm guessing that's pretty common with other teams too.

I haven't seen that we are switching to a 4-3 base defense other than a few fan's speculations. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, TGHusker said:

Nelson, Rogers & Robinson both improved as the year went on.

59 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

WAAAAAYYYY too much has been made out of what is supposedly our base front.  Chinander has supposedly run a 3-4 since he got here but in practice it's always been closer to a 4-3 because the strong side OLB basically plays the same position that a DE would play in a 4-3.  And this past year we ran a lot of what is basically a 4-2-5 against teams not named Wisconsin or Iowa.

• Plus1 8
  • Thanks 1
  • seaofred92 changed the title to Bill Busch Named Special Teams Coordinator