Bill Busch Named Special Teams Coordinator

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

Now put your top players on ST and make the unit an actual factor in games. No more backups and walk-ons manning special teams. 

I think it was DeJon Gomes who tweeted this past season after yet another ST debacle that if he was a Blackshirt he'd be in the coach's office demanding to be on Special Teams. 

I don't know if the coaches are keeping the top players off ST or the players don't want to do it, but that has to change. 

Watching one of the bowl games (one with top 10 teams) the announcers had mentioned how many starters for the one team were on special teams.  Might have been Utah maybe.  Speaks to what you are saying.  Not to be an a$$, but start smashing teams we should and let the backups and walk-ons get their experience then.  We start the "starters" on O and D for a reason.....ST needs to be the same.

• Plus1 1
On 1/5/2022 at 11:58 AM, admo said:

Yeah Nelson was on the line quite a bit, going mono y mono with the tackle.

Um, if Nelson was using helper monkeys against the opposing tackles quite a bit last season, then we *may* have multiple, bigger issues to deal with.  :D:laughpound

The phrase I believe you meant is 'mano a mano' which means "hand to hand".

"Mono" is Monkey and "y" means "and" in Spanish.

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I'm officially feeling much better about our outlook with this announcement. A lot of people had called this and thought he was just about the best guy for the job and I'd tend to agree.

This move shows that Frost & Alberts get it and seem to be on the same page about putting together tangible plans that build a good football program.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Um, if Nelson was using helper monkeys against the opposing tackles quite a bit last season, then we *may* have multiple, bigger issues to deal with.  :D:laughpound

The phrase I believe you meant is 'mano a mano' which means "hand to hand".

"Mono" is Monkey and "y" means "and" in Spanish.

I sometimes swipe.  But yeah, that do make alotta since.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:45 AM, knapplc said:

Now put your top players on ST and make the unit an actual factor in games. No more backups and walk-ons manning special teams. 

I think it was DeJon Gomes who tweeted this past season after yet another ST debacle that if he was a Blackshirt he'd be in the coach's office demanding to be on Special Teams. 

I don't know if the coaches are keeping the top players off ST or the players don't want to do it, but that has to change. 

Could not agree with you more…our best players should be on special teams. You need players who can handle the ball and block legally and not commit silly blocks in the back. We need difference makers on special teams. Instead, what we had were a bunch of players with not much experience trying their best not to screw up.

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, Undone said:

I'm officially feeling much better about our outlook with this announcement. A lot of people had called this and thought he was just about the best guy for the job and I'd tend to agree.

This move shows that Frost & Alberts get it and seem to be on the same page about putting together tangible plans that build a good football program.

This seems a little presumptuous. This is not plan A or even plan B. To assume they “get it” seems without fact. 

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, Cigarman said:

This seems a little presumptuous. This is not plan A or even plan B. To assume they “get it” seems without fact. 

It appears Busch was Plan A from the jump--the move happened right after his former contract with LSU expired--and Sean Snyder was Plan B. 

So to say that there was no Plan A or B seems to be more than a little willfully myopic. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Cigarman said:

I kind of doubt it's correct to say it "wasn't Plan A or even Plan B." Busch is a good hire and is capable of fixing special teams.

What I really was driving at though with the comment that this shows that Frost & Alberts get it is that we desperately needed a strong commitment towards special teams. This move shows that they understand that and are pouring resources into getting it fixed.

Whether somebody loves Bill as the first choice to do the job is another matter, I guess.

• seaofred92 changed the title to Bill Busch Named Special Teams Coordinator