Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

News flash, Thompson is going to start in 2022, unless Chubba Purdy also transfers to NU and is able to beat him out.  Nobody has any head start with Whipple, but Thompson's experience and QB skills give him the clear advantage going into 2022.

How did that thinking play out with Tanner Morgan or Sam Kellar ?

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's hard to not be excited, and impressed with the work Frost has done in the off-season. He's made some great hires so far to his coaching staff, and I really like some of the players he's brought in through the portal, led by Thompson of course. 

However, (extremely) cautious optimism is where the excitement will peak for me.

If Frost can't win with Thompson at QB, that just proves that he's not cut out for this. I think this kid could be the difference-maker we've been searching for.

Now let's get that OL from Michigan, and the Applewhite/Allen combo from TCU, and I'll be happier than a pup with two peters.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If Frost can't win with Thompson at QB, that just proves that he's not cut out for this. I think this kid could be the difference-maker we've been searching for.

Now let's get that OL from Michigan, and the Applewhite/Allen combo from TCU, and I'll be happier than a pup with two peters.

Yep when it’s just not there on certain days we need OL and run game.  For certain this will be worth some W’s vs L’s. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

I am a run the damn ball, BUT I will say an actual QB doesn't mean NU won't run.  Clemson with Lawrence is a perfect example of this.  Not saying any of our QB's will rise to the level of Lawrence, but Clemson ran the ball a lot.  And was very effective. Can't stack the box on a guy who can drop dimes.  A QB who isn't a "running threat" means often times the defenders in pass coverage will have their backs to the QB (concentrating on the receivers) which can lead to some good yards.  His NC year he rushed for 9 TD's and threw for 36.  Rushed for 565 on 103 carries.  Averaged 5.5/carry and approx 7 carries per game.  Doesn't take it acct designed runs vs scrambles.  So yea, he was more than adequate to cause DC's some issues.  I like the get.  Etienne went for over 1600 and Dixon for over 600 while Lawrence threw for 3600 that year.  (stats over 15 games) Of course they had an all world OL...BUT this is a step in the right direction.  

Thompson has 2 years eligibility and Purdy has 4.  I can still see both coming here.  We have a pretty bad track record of our QB 1's making it through a whole season.  TM/TA/AM...

*still can't write Smothers off....

31 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Logan isn’t beating out Thompsen. That’s like Mr. Ed hoping to outrace secretariat. 

The comparison has no resemblance. Logan isn't likely to beat out Casey Thompson. But, Logan Smothers isn't a Mr. Ed and Thompson isn't a Secretariat. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

• Mavric changed the title to Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson