Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

I love the optimism. I really do. Consider me beaten down to the point that Frost has to win at least 8 games before I am capable of getting excited. And I am not talking about a soft non-con schedule. I mean at least 6 conference games, if not 7...at this point, I just don't think he has what it takes against a Big Ten schedule. Gotta win the games against good opponents. Period. 

Close is something. Close if you win some is more. Close and crapping the bed every time...nah. 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

As of now CT is the one to beat out for the job. And if we also land Purdy, then Smothers clearly scoots on down the bench another place. It’s just what it is.

It's probably safe to say that Thompson will be the starter. But I certainly wouldn't assume that Purdy is automatically ahead of Smothers, when he couldn't even beat out a gimpy McKenzie Milton for the #2 job at Florida State. I mean it helps that Mr. Whipple likes him, but...

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, theknife said:

One really important stat that will be vital to his time at Nebraska: Thompson had the least amount of time to throw of any Big 12 quarterback (most pressures of 2.5 seconds or less) but he led the Big 12 in passing touchdowns and QB rating when pressured in 2.5 seconds or less. 19 TD to 2 INT and he took just 3 sacks in those situations. 

Thanks for the info!

weird though because we are constantly told from people on here that QB’s can’t be good unless they get 4 seconds and that was why AM struggled

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

I can certainly see calling Thompson the likely starter. But I certainly wouldn't assume that Purdy is automatically ahead of Smothers, when he couldn't even beat out a gimpy McKenzie Milton for the #2 job at Florida State. I mean it helps that Mr. Whipple likes him, but...

Whether people agree or not, Smothers has the edge over Purdy.  Even back to the days when they were both being recruited.  I wouldn't count Logan out just yet.

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, admo said:

Whether people agree or not, Smothers has the edge over Purdy.  Even back to the days when they were both being recruited.  I wouldn't count Logan out just yet.

Regardless of what their high school recruiting rankings were, Purdy would have the edge over Smothers in the most important area, what their OC and QB coach think of them. Whipple has been high on Chubba for years, and he knows the Purdy family from both living in the Phoenix area.  

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson