Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Regardless of what their high school recruiting rankings were, Purdy would have the edge over Smothers in the most important area, what their OC and QB coach think of them. Whipple has been high of Chubba for years, and he knows the Purdy family from both living in the Phoenix area.  

Ok thanks, and maybe I'm wrong.  It will be a battle for #2.  If Purdy takes over, great, congrats, and Smothers will transfer somewhere else for PT.  If not, or whatever, it's a good situation for the team to have, with Haarberg and Torres in the wing. 

34 minutes ago, admo said:

Whether people agree or not, Smothers has the edge over Purdy.  Even back to the days when they were both being recruited.  I wouldn't count Logan out just yet.

Disagree. Purdy was recruited heavily by our new OC. He recruited him out of high school and re-recruited him out of FSU. He has strong bond with Whip. Smothers has no bonds with him. Coaches recruit their own guys. I would say that Purdy has big advantage, regardless of how some recruiting service rated them a few years ago.

• Plus1 2

I'm on the fence regarding Logan.  The kid put in a lot of work this year and looked pretty dang good against Iowa.  If Purdy comes, it increases the likelihood he transfers but if not, he is one play away from being the guy next season.  

Ask yourselves this, if he plays the same game against Iowa but we win because the defense stepped up, would you see the situation differently?  My guess is many Nebraska fans would.  There is an obvious gap between him and CT but he would be a pretty solid #2 option imo.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

People keep bringing up Purdy but he hasn't signed up yet. Yet to visit even, happening next weekend. Or it was before this news at least.

And why would he? I think he was waiting for Thompson. I don’t know what he’s got that Smithers doesn’t. 

• Mavric changed the title to Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson
2 hours ago, theknife said:

One really important stat that will be vital to his time at Nebraska: Thompson had the least amount of time to throw of any Big 12 quarterback (most pressures of 2.5 seconds or less) but he led the Big 12 in passing touchdowns and QB rating when pressured in 2.5 seconds or less. 19 TD to 2 INT and he took just 3 sacks in those situations. 

He's moving North, but our OLine will make him feel right at home.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, admo said:

Ok thanks, and maybe I'm wrong.  It will be a battle for #2.  If Purdy takes over, great, congrats, and Smothers will transfer somewhere else for PT.  If not, or whatever, it's a good situation for the team to have, with Haarberg and Torres in the wing. 

There's a guy at Rice Logan could certainly beat out.

• Haha 2