Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Regardless of what their high school recruiting rankings were, Purdy would have the edge over Smothers in the most important area, what their OC and QB coach think of them. Whipple has been high on Chubba for years, and he knows the Purdy family from both living in the Phoenix area.  

Are you suggesting that Whipple wont put the best talent on the field..??  pretty bold statement...

8 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Are you suggesting that Whipple wont put the best talent on the field..??  pretty bold statement...

I never said any of that, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.  I was responding to a post where it said that Smothers had a leg up on the competition, because he's been at NU. Whipple is the new guy in charge, so he may have met Smothers in recent weeks and gotten feedback from Frost, Whipple has a long relationship with the Purdys. That's why he's recruiting Chubba so hard. 

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Not sure how you can’t be excited about what’s been done in the last few months.  

Now we hope it works. Offense is going to have to score because the defense won’t be as strong.

This seems to be the assumption, but I for one won't be surprised if the defense takes another step forward in 2022. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

This seems to be the assumption, but I for one won't be surprised if the defense takes another step forward in 2022. 

I don’t see that happening. Too much loss of experience. No solid NT. Secondary unproven. No pass rushers. DL depth is meh. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I think the defense may take a step back but an easier schedule may hide that a bit. If the offense is doing its job the defense will not be on the field as much. Of course with Thompson as QB and the receivers we have, we are likely to score a TD in just 2 or 3 plays...oh yeah!

25 minutes ago, Decked said:

I don’t see that happening. Too much loss of experience. No solid NT. Secondary unproven. No pass rushers. DL depth is meh. 

There are definitely pieces that will be tough to replace, but you can look across every level of the defense and see reason for optimism. Jojo's impact will be awfully tough to replace, but I could see Chinander adjusting the D a bit if he doesn't have a guy he feels good about there. I thought Isaac Gifford did a good job vs Iowa and should have had a big INT but dropped it.

As far as NT, I think Riley showed flashes and Ty Robinson is a beast. But if the past year was any indication, this D only plays 2 interior DL until they go against heavy run packages and teams anyways.

10 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Thompson led the B12 in TDs...all I need to see.

Texas was #71 in passing offense, though (although he didn't start all games). He was flashy at times, but kinda inconsistent (albeit playing with an injured thumb).

But still, it was mostly their defense that sucked last year, not their offense - #100 total defense and #99 scoring defense. And yet Sark said he was going to open up the QB competition in spring. You can understand why Thompson felt like he was being thrown under the bus.

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Does recruiting ratings include whats between the ears?

Probably to some degree. What's in between the ears accounts for a lot for sure! It's difficult to measure things like tenacity or what only can be demonstrated over time under pressure time and time again. Desire, ETC.