Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

39 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

You think the team will buy in,  2AM has had the team for a couple years now.  Might be some sour apples in the locker room.

I don't think so. I'm sure some of the players had some animosity, knowing that they'd put Nebraska in a position to win, only to have AM unable to finish the job.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

You think the team will buy in,  2AM has had the team for a couple years now.  Might be some sour apples in the locker room.

OR guys mught be happy that someone else will get a shot.  Some guys might have preferred a QB that was healthy over a guy with a bum wheel and broken jaw.  Might have caused some issues. Or skill guys tired of the passes that got them crushed.  Or RB's who saw a QB be the leading rusher.  Or a guys misses playing for making a mistake and AM stays, and stays and stays......And if the rumors about a blow up occurred, might have been some conflict in the locker room.   If the players are like the fans, I am sure some think he has a bigger hand in the 4 losing seasons.  That's gotta get old for them.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
14 minutes ago, lo country said:

OR guys mught be happy that someone else will get a shot.  Some guys might have preferred a QB that was healthy over a guy with a bum wheel and broken jaw.  Might have caused some issues. Or skill guys tired of the passes that got them crushed.  Or RB's who saw a QB be the leading rusher.  Or a guys misses playing for making a mistake and AM stays, and stays and stays......And if the rumors about a blow up occurred, might have been some conflict in the locker room.   If the players are like the fans, I am sure some think he has a bigger hand in the 4 losing seasons.  That's gotta get old for them.  

I will say that, losing does make you tired of things.  No matter how positive your leader is.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Lotta Adrian M type plays and look.  He does finish runs better and gets QB sneaks usually.  I think he throws a zippier ball on the short n medium length throws.  Maybe a bit more accurate generally but overall he has run Frost’s offense, for better or worse.  If he’s the starter, don’t see much change from 2021.  
I hope all the excitement for this new QB proves right and somehow he gets us to 8-9 wins. That’s a good start.  

14 hours ago, lo country said:

I am optimistic that we have 3 things needed to have a successful season in the passing game.  A QB who actually appears to be a QB who can make reads, throw to a spot and hit guys in stride, a competent OC who can teach/develop said QB and a WR coach who can develop and coach.  

I think the passing game will be good....I'm more concerned about the nonexistent running game.

And yeah, I still think there's a need for a smaller 250 lb blocker in the backfield to pick up the first guy who gets through as well as performing some running and pass receiving duties. :lol:

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Lotta Adrian M type plays and look.  He does finish runs better and gets QB sneaks usually.  I think he throws a zippier ball on the short n medium length throws.  Maybe a bit more accurate generally but overall he has run Frost’s offense, for better or worse.  If he’s the starter, don’t see much change from 2021.  
I hope all the excitement for this new QB proves right and somehow he gets us to 8-9 wins. That’s a good start.  

What we don't know is what's between the ears.  AM got happy feet, tentative and tried to do too much.   With more composure, he could have been a good qb.  Is Thompson like AM or does he have the extra needed to be a winner?

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

What we don't know is what's between the ears.  AM got happy feet, tentative and tried to do too much.   With more composure, he could have been a good qb.  Is Thompson like AM or does he have the extra needed to be a winner?

That is my hope.  I do think he plays with more self confidence but it’s hard to tell with just a season of film.  We got to ‘know’ Adrian somewhat.  Most people liked AM personally and he seemed pretty down to Earth everyday people to me.   Maybe not as commanding & demanding as a leader.  Did the team really believe AM would lead them to the winning TD or just hope it?   CT may be cockier but back it up with some critical plays at crunch time. 

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Haha I have to agree.  I really don't think Whipple signed up to be coordinator in name only.  And I don't think Thompson signed up to run anyone's offense but Whipple's.

I know there's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip but it's really difficult to not feel better about the season ahead with Thompson's commitment.

There's definitely some positive things going on! 

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

That is my hope.  I do think he plays with more self confidence but it’s hard to tell with just a season of film.  We got to ‘know’ Adrian somewhat.  Most people liked AM personally and he seemed pretty down to Earth everyday people to me.   Maybe not as commanding & demanding as a leader.  Did the team really believe AM would lead them to the winning TD or just hope it?   CT may be cockier but back it up with some critical plays at crunch time. 

Agree, film is always the best plays. Also sounds like he was liked by his teammates.  

12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I'll give Frost props for making such a whole scale change.  Maybe his idea, maybe not, but changes still made.  The staff picks thus far have been upgrades and we have gotten some good picks in the portal.  I'm hesitantly optimistic.  Anxious to see the RB coach.  I'm hoping the addition of Whip, Mickey and a developed QB (who ever it is) will allow our offense to actually be effective in moving the chains passing or running.  More of a threat than "stop AM".

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'll give Frost props for making such a whole scale change.  Maybe his idea, maybe not, but changes still made.  The staff picks thus far have been upgrades and we have gotten some good picks in the portal.  I'm hesitantly optimistic.  Anxious to see the RB coach.  I'm hoping the addition of Whip, Mickey and a developed QB (who ever it is) will allow our offense to actually be effective in moving the chains passing or running.  More of a threat than "stop AM".

I agree.  I do think the hand injury may have hurt a few throws down the stretch.  While the wholesale changes I’d like don’t appear to be forthcoming, there are signs that some real running effort and scheme additions could really help.  Maybe it’s a mirage and my wishful thinking / hoping but I just can’t be totally down on Husker fb.  It’s not in my nature.   I want to believe!   

• Oh Yeah! 1
13 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

After watching that hour of every passing play, it was very obvious how much the injury impacted his season. Also, Texas may have a worse offensive line than we did. 

So far I've watched the Rice (forgot McCaffrey went there) and Texas Tech games and Texas' offense is very efficient with Casey at the helm.

Pre-injury he was playing lights out.  Got to agree their offensive line was not great.

Screenshot_20220108-111521_YouTube.thumb.jpg.aeceb603a2a434fc05820becc7995fb9.jpg

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I feel like Thompson will probably be a sidegrade overall, not necessarily better or worse, just different. But an upgrade in talent of the rest of the guys on offense could make him look better than Martinez.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1