Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

I feel like Thompson will probably be a sidegrade overall, not necessarily better or worse, just different. But an upgrade in talent of the rest of the guys on offense could make him look better than Martinez.

If his TD/INT ratio counts for anything he's already a more efficient passer than Martinez.   Not quite the athlete Martinez is (not that it matters much in Whipple's offense), but definitely a more polished passer.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

So his dad has been coaching him up since 5th grade. Makes me wonder about the kind of conversations that were had between Whipple and Charles Thompson.

I'm very glad that we got him and it will be interesting to see how Whipple can polish him up and design an offense around his (and everyone's talents). But there are a few cautionary notes here:

1) He led the Big 12 in TDs. Sounds impressive (and it is) but 16 of his 24 TDs came in just 3 games. That just 8 TDs in the other 9 games. 

2) We are acting like Sarkesian doesn't know how to evaluate QBs and he's letting Casey go. ( Here's where his head was at a year ago: Steve Sarkisian discusses what he looks for in QBs - Burnt Orange Nation ) Now maybe he has concerns about the thumb healing properly (or getting reinjured) or maybe he saw something else that made him think he'd better try to get some better QBs on the roster to fight it out for the #1 spot. 

3) Casey's dad said that the Texas situation just didn't look like anybody was "in his son's corner". Well we have just gone through 4 years of a coach being NAILED in a QBs corner. SCREWED might be a better analogy. Bottom line is that they didn't believe that Casey was going to come out on top in that QB room. So right now we are playing Oregon State to Tristan Gebbia's Nebraska. I may be a purist, but I would like my player evaluation to be clear-eyed and giving the job to the one who WINS IT, not the one who has a coach "in his corner" for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I feel like Thompson will probably be a sidegrade overall, not necessarily better or worse, just different. But an upgrade in talent of the rest of the guys on offense could make him look better than Martinez.

Our offensive line play exposed Martinez's vulnerabilities. Better line play definitely would've helped us in that regard.

What I'm liking about Thompson is his quick decision-making. He makes reads quickly and pulls the trigger rarely hesitating. Whether it's a single selection or multiple ones. He's making throws in rhythm with his receivers. Mickey will have these receivers running routes and getting open where things could really get clicking. Casey moves the ball and helps his team gets touchdowns scored. 

We don't need a superstar quarterback. Good decision-making for the opportunity for chemistry to emerge where things are in sync. An inch away can be a mile apart. We've just not had nearly enough continuity and flow in games. Only flashes of it. The offensive line needs to step up big for us. And, gotta have a reliable rushing game incorporated in. If we do that, we could be very good offensively. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
19 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

So his dad has been coaching him up since 5th grade. Makes me wonder about the kind of conversations that were had between Whipple and Charles Thompson.

I'm very glad that we got him and it will be interesting to see how Whipple can polish him up and design an offense around his (and everyone's talents). But there are a few cautionary notes here:

1) He led the Big 12 in TDs. Sounds impressive (and it is) but 16 of his 24 TDs came in just 3 games. That just 8 TDs in the other 9 games. 

2) We are acting like Sarkesian doesn't know how to evaluate QBs and he's letting Casey go. ( Here's where his head was at a year ago: Steve Sarkisian discusses what he looks for in QBs - Burnt Orange Nation ) Now maybe he has concerns about the thumb healing properly (or getting reinjured) or maybe he saw something else that made him think he'd better try to get some better QBs on the roster to fight it out for the #1 spot. 

3) Casey's dad said that the Texas situation just didn't look like anybody was "in his son's corner". Well we have just gone through 4 years of a coach being NAILED in a QBs corner. SCREWED might be a better analogy. Bottom line is that they didn't believe that Casey was going to come out on top in that QB room. So right now we are playing Oregon State to Tristan Gebbia's Nebraska. I may be a purist, but I would like my player evaluation to be clear-eyed and giving the job to the one who WINS IT, not the one who has a coach "in his corner" for whatever reason.

Sark didn’t “let him go”. Not his choice. Casey made decision to leave, he didn’t get “cut”. Sark does not have a say in it. And, just look at Sarks track record, not a model of consistency.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, HANC said:

Sark didn’t “let him go”. Not his choice. Casey made decision to leave, he didn’t get “cut”. Sark does not have a say in it. And, just look at Sarks track record, not a model of consistency.

"All lies and jest

Still a man sees
What he wants to see
And disregards the rest."

From an article at the start of this season:

We don't yet know how he'll fare as the Texas coach, but we can see his stellar track record with quarterbacks, having coached Heisman winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinert at USC and Heisman runner-up Jalen Hurts before he left Alabama for OU. Sarkisian had another Heisman finalist in Mac Jones at Alabama and also counts NFL MVPs Matt Ryan and Rich Gannon as past pupils.

When Sarkisian talks quarterbacks, he knows of what he speaks.

And right now, his assessment of his Longhorn quarterbacks can be boiled down to this.

Meh.

source: Texas football: Steve Sarkisian wants more from Longhorns quarterbacks (oklahoman.com)

With Whips "possible scheme" and Mickey as a WR coach, I'd be happy if whoever is our QB simply manages the game.  Get it to the play makers.  If that's out of a 2 back set, empty, 12/13 personnel whatever.  I am tired of our offense living or dying on the play of the QB.  I love a mobile QB.  Trevor Lawrence will never be considered a dual threat, but he was mobile enough (and a few designed runs) to give DC's something to worry about.  I am hoping that's what the O staff will scheme with.  Going into the season, I'd probably say the edge in "success" will go to the TE/WR's.  However, IMHO, our RB's have yet to have a season where they are actually coached.  Highly rated guys in that room.  Just need someone to develop/teach them.  Use all the skill positions.  Have a scheme that is they stack the box, we can pass.  If the D only brings 4, have some power schemes in the run game to get the OL to the 2nd level.  Just actually scheme, coach and develop to win.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, M.A. said:

Our offensive line play exposed Martinez's vulnerabilities. Better line play definitely would've helped us in that regard.

What I'm liking about Thompson is his quick decision-making. He makes reads quickly and pulls the trigger rarely hesitating. Whether it's a single selection or multiple ones. He's making throws in rhythm with his receivers. Mickey will have these receivers running routes and getting open where things could really get clicking. Casey moves the ball and helps his team gets touchdowns scored. 

We don't need a superstar quarterback. Good decision-making for the opportunity for chemistry to emerge where things are in sync. An inch away can be a mile apart. We've just not had nearly enough continuity and flow in games. Only flashes of it. The offensive line needs to step up big for us. And, gotta have a reliable rushing game incorporated in. If we do that, we could be very good offensively. 

Because of what you are saying, hopefully Thompson can cut the amount of sacks in half. Yes the pass protection wasn’t very good last season, but AM’s hesitation caused some of the sacks. 

• Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Because of what you are saying, hopefully Thompson can cut the amount of sacks in half. Yes the pass protection wasn’t very good last season, but AM’s hesitation caused some of the sacks. 

I completely understand and agree, but don’t forget that AM’s feet saved as many sacks as his hesitation gave up. He made line look better than they were at times. They were not good.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
40 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

I'm of the belief that if we shore up both, improve quarterback play and improve our line performance, that some special things can happen. Thompson needs to do his part as does the line along with the receivers and RB's. Keep the fuel flowing too with limited errors. 

That's where the "spark" comes in. Some of this, some of that. BAM BAM BAM like cylinders firing. 

54 minutes ago, HANC said:

I completely understand and agree, but don’t forget that AM’s feet saved as many sacks as his hesitation gave up. He made line look better than they were at times. They were not good.

Are you drunk? He caused so many sacks himself it was infuriating.  Scrambling when completely unnecessary and then fans blaming the O Line was one of his greatest skills.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2