Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

58 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Are you drunk.  Our o-line was awful.

Our line wasn’t good. But Adrian has an obvious inability to step up into the pocket when it is there. He doesn’t step into many throws as he always reverts to his instinct of bailing on the pocket (play) and throwing off of his back foot. This causes many of his passes to be inaccurate and even short which results in too many interceptions and broken plays. Sometimes he would bust an impressive long play. But the higher percentage of times it hurt us. Casey’s pocket presence is lightyears ahead of Martinez which should make us all hopeful. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

For starters, Adrian was way better than most will ever remember him.  It will take a special QB, and circumstances, to break his records.  Casey is not light years ahead of him.  However, Casey is a great next option with an intriguing past that gives us all hope.  We can be really optimistic without crapping on the guy he is replacing.

Adrian gave us his all.  He played through a lot.  He deserves our respect imo.  

Gbr

“Casey’s pocket presence is lightyears ahead of Martinez.” 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Bad2theBONES said:

“Casey’s pocket presence is lightyears ahead of Martinez.” 

Lightyears is hyperbole, obviously.   But I do agree with the assessment that his pocket presence is better.  Both guys were operating behind atrocious O-lines, and Thompson handled it better most of the time.

But man, Martinez's fan club is feisty.  After 4 years of increasingly elaborate excuse-making it seems many people aren't going to give Thompson a break at all.

I have a feeling people are dusting off their "passes that could have been picks" statsheet from the Armstrong days as we speak.  :lol:

• Haha 2

I don't think Thompson will have as strong a running game as he had at Texas helping him out.  Nothing against Johnson and Yant, I like them well enough, but those 2 Texas dudes were absolute DUDES.   I do think his receivers will be more reliable here though. Especially with Joseph running that group.  Those Texas receivers were good at times, but inconsistent. 

I've now watched more Texas football than I ever cared to.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Lightyears is hyperbole, obviously.   But I do agree with the assessment that his pocket presence is better.  Both guys were operating behind atrocious O-lines, and Thompson handled it better most of the time.

But man, Martinez's fan club is feisty.  After 4 years of increasingly elaborate excuse-making it seems many people aren't going to give Thompson a break at all.

I have a feeling people are dusting off their "passes that could have been picks" statsheet from the Armstrong days as we speak.  :lol:

It is interesting the near euphoric response to the Thompson addition is migrating towards similar excuse making as to his play at Texas. Already - Texas Online as bad as Nebraska’s.  WRs will be better than UTs cause Joseph will fix em and some new guys, etc.  RBs still unknown as is their coach but apparently no matter cause Held is gone and whomever it is will be the solution.  Before AM left, he was never the problem - just everybody else.  Now, Thompson hasn’t even joined the team yet but his play will be great - just need everybody else to make him better.   

The offense the past 4 years has had a bunch of changes and adjustments everywhere except AM yet the results were very similar.  20 plus well regarded receivers, plus several very good athletes at TE with loads of experience, and a dozen or so O linemen, from a position with a bunch more guys who never saw the field, and a RB rotation with a dozen well regarded guys all playing interchangeably.  Yet, the production was basically the same generally speaking.  
Frost let Adrian go - whether he encouraged him to transfer or not ?? - so maybe he felt AM wasn’t going to finally ‘get it’ whatever his failings may have been (if any).  We may never know.  

I suggest Casey Thompson and the other QBs in the program deserve a chance to earn the chance to start and play a couple games before the whole blame game begins.  These players chose DONU for some reason (money, system, school, coaching, etc. or hopefully mostly the non-monetary reasons) - let’s try to be as patient and not overreact to the latest rumors, wild speculation and so on.  The spring game, if Frost will actually hold a serious game situation(?), will be their debut.  He needs game like tryouts for all the players.  

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It is interesting the near euphoric response to the Thompson addition is migrating towards similar excuse making as to his play at Texas. Already - Texas Online as bad as Nebraska’s.  WRs will be better than UTs cause Joseph will fix em and some new guys, etc.  RBs still unknown as is their coach but apparently no matter cause Held is gone and whomever it is will be the solution.  Before AM left, he was never the problem - just everybody else.  Now, Thompson hasn’t even joined the team yet but his play will be great - just need everybody else to make him better.   

I don't see anybody necessarily saying they guarantee the team will be good with Casey at the helm, but you can see the upgrade in reading and releasing a good ball pretty easily on film. He will be worse at scrambling than AM.  I mean, you can SEE differences, that doesn't mean he needs games in an NU uni to see that.. If you can't see that sacrificing scrambling ability for quicker reads and less time in a pocket will be a net benefit in this offense, then I am not sure what I could ever say to convince you. He also isn't scared to throw to a spot where his guy can make a catch. One of my frustrations with AM was he couldn't do that, he wanted his guys to be far and away open and his guys weren't good enough to be that often and quickly enough to match with his processing speed.  Without getting too crazy, this will be the best the QB/offense scheme match we've had at NU since Crouch. 

Now, the team could still be bad. But the offense finally gets a legit chance to look like what we were promised in 2018. 

• Haha 1