Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

It's training and muscle memory.

To my eye his upper body looks bigger & stronger than he did in Texas film last season.

Yea, lot different than Adrian.  He looked like a tennis player or something.   I expect CT will be a better runner in terms of finishing a run and making a defender miss.  Watson looks much quicker and faster and more elusive than any QB in a long time imo.  I like the ability to get something positive out of ‘failed’ play.  Not only buy time and avoid the blitzer but get a couple yards unstead of a 5 yard sack.  Throw on the roll outs and so on.  That’s critical unless you have a great pass blocking O line matched with a solid run game.  You have to keep the defense honest by fear of draws, screens, swings, etc., or the ability to power run or option type plays.  This is what I feel we’ve been lacking.  I just think teams disrespect our run game and short/med pass game.  Maybe I’m oversimplifying some but it feels that way in Frost’s era.  
i do have faith that change will happen this fall. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Though no one knew just how severely he was injured until Los Angeles-based hand surgeon Steven Shin performed the procedure in April — shortly after Nebraska’s spring ball slate wrapped up.

Once Shin — who repaired Drew Brees’ right thumb and Russell Wilson’s right middle finger — got a look inside Thompson’s hand, it was obvious that Thompson wasn’t just dealing with a lingering sprain with gnarly bruising.

Thompson had sustained damage to both major ligaments that stabilize the thumb joint: the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) and the radial collateral ligament (RCL).

In layman's terms?

"I basically tore and strained all the ligaments and muscles and everything in my hand," Thompson said.

For context, Brees couldn’t even grip a football after he tore his UCL, let alone throw one, so the fact that Thompson continued to play — regardless of his accuracy — is bananas.

Thompson's father, Charles, said if Shin had known about the severity of Thompson’s injury early on, he would have recommended Thompson be shut down immediately.

HuskerExtra.com

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2

It is amazing he played through it, and it shows his natural competitiveness and toughness.

Fairly certain the injury occurred in the 2nd qtr of OU game, where he was torching the Sooners.  And Spencer Rattler got benched for his ineffectiveness. The Longhorn's defense was Mark Banker awful by the way.  

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And to lead the big 12 in td throw's is crazy. Yes the defense's are not the best but still he went out and did his best. Good luck to the rest of the big 10 when they face him. I could really see a all-conference performance from him. Not saying he is the next Bryce Young with the Heisman but I believe he will play at a very high level for the team. NFL qb for sure as long as injuries don't derail his ceiling.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

Oh okay sorry I sounded kind rude i didn’t realize you’ve been off for awhile 

It’s good. Gotta tough up the skin for the season.  

My sanity couldn’t follow the roller coaster off season, so I cut it. Weird January adjustment-, went from spending 100% of my extra time following football to none.   I know broad basics - Thompson (good), Purdy (good I guess), Betts (sad), Decoldest(out), practice has limited juice, Frost is either in really good shape or is eating his feelings, some left the program and maybe a few better ones coming in.  

that’s about it. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, krc1995 said:

It’s good. Gotta tough up the skin for the season.  

My sanity couldn’t follow the roller coaster off season, so I cut it. Weird January adjustment-, went from spending 100% of my extra time following football to none.   I know broad basics - Thompson (good), Purdy (good I guess), Betts (sad), Decoldest(out), practice has limited juice, Frost is either in really good shape or is eating his feelings, some left the program and maybe a few better ones coming in.  

that’s about it. 

Fairly close in a short summary but the juice was mostly one practice when Whipple and Co got fired up about the offense tactics scrimmage being lackluster.  In fairness, I’m sure it’s frustrating for the offense (lotta new faces and position uncertainty - due to fierce competition mostly I believe - and stress learning new plays etc.  i see this as a half full glass personally.  The Blackshirts are gonna be pretty salty and I’m sure they’re making life tough for the offense quite a bit.  

Again, this is a good sign imo because the D and STs have to do their jobs well when they ‘know’ the plays.  The defense has the advantage typically within a given team.   Opponents won’t know much about our new offense so the elements of surprise and schematics should benefit NU.  The real question is synergy, timing, smooth execution and avoiding simple errors.  It won’t be raw ability so much as just - can the offense gel quickly?   
There are positive changes in progress - nobody knows exactly who or what but it will be a new and improved offense (aka the FrostyWhip as I call it!).   

Its not hopeless but we can’t afford injuries, as usual, because experienced depth is nowhere to speak of, but there is talent to win 8-10 and with some luck, maybe more.    Conversely, the whole thing could collapse like a house of cards if disaster strikes early.  Hold your breath, cross your fingers and toes, pray constantly.   A huge year about to start!   GBR.  

• Oh Yeah! 1