Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

https://youtu.be/G7Z2HYLGdqk This is NOT WHAT is going to happen this year from our new qb. I guarantee that!!!!! Not the interception but throwing into double coverage. I studied the play a bunch of times the wide receiver had no chance for the ball. You can say the defender made a great catch but even still that ball shouldn't have never been thrown in the first place. Those things won't happen. 

I agree that CT should be better in that area. That throw by AM was actually better than a loss of downs from the 23 yard line, a play had to be made anyhow. What I didn't like were the sequence of playcalls leading up to that 4th down, especially the 2nd down call that gave AM and the OL especially very little margin of error on 3rd down.

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

AM had 4 INT vs Purdue and a fumble...5 turnovers. Oh yeah, he was also 48% passing that game. I don't see CT being that bad ever in a game. He will have some struggles at times but man I cannot wait for a good QB. 

Gotta have it in this type of offense. Not having one is like Wisconsin not having a very good RB. Capable of being a functional offense but can't quite do what it was designed to do.

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

AM had 4 INT vs Purdue and a fumble...5 turnovers. Oh yeah, he was also 48% passing that game. I don't see CT being that bad ever in a game. He will have some struggles at times but man I cannot wait for a good QB. 

I just think you have to zoom out on some of this analysis instead of it just being in a vacuum of "QB versus QB."

Martinez had to do a lot on his own many times because the offensive line wasn't blowing open holes for our backs to carry the team down the field...and also because we frankly haven't exactly had a really great back on this roster since Washington departed.

So this season, if the line plays well and our backs rack up considerably more running yardage than in the past two years people will really pile on with how bad Martinez was when it may not be an apples to apples situation.

And before I get s*** for this take, I do think Thompson is at least a bit better than Adrian.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I just think you have to zoom out on some of this analysis instead of it just being in a vacuum of "QB versus QB."

Martinez had to do a lot on his own many times because the offensive line wasn't blowing open holes for our backs to carry the team down the field...and also because we frankly haven't exactly had a really great back on this roster since Washington departed.

So this season, if the line plays well and our backs rack up considerably more running yardage than in the past two years people will really pile on with how bad Martinez was when it may not be an apples to apples situation.

And before I get s*** for this take, I do think Thompson is at least a bit better than Adrian.

I am a film guy always. Watch the tape....watch the drop back of CT vs AM. Watch how one throws off the back foot and side arms balls and the other doesn't. Watch one get the ball batted at the line every fourth throw and one doesn't. Watch the quick release and decision making vs each other. Watch the footwork and release.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I am a film guy always. Watch the tape....watch the drop back of CT vs AM. Watch how one throws off the back foot and side arms balls and the other doesn't. Watch one get the ball batted at the line every fourth throw and one doesn't. Watch the quick release and decision making vs each other. Watch the footwork and release.

I know you are, dawg.

And I made sure to qualify the whole thing by saying that I do think Casey is at least a bit better of a QB than Martinez.

But I'm also going to say that if we win nine games this year I don't think it'll be because Thompson did it all on his own, in comparison to Martinez trying (and failing) to do it all on his own.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I know you are, dawg.

And I made sure to qualify the whole thing by saying that I do think Casey is at least a bit better of a QB than Martinez.

But I'm also going to say that if we win nine games this year I don't think it'll be because Thompson did it all on his own, in comparison to Martinez trying (and failing) to do it all on his own.

I hear you. Def not all on AM but I think last year proved the kid just for some reason didn't have "it". Over and over was insanely not clutch. Toure had 900 yards receiving and got drafted. Allen was 1st team B10 TE. Center was taken in 2nd round. Our defense was good enough. We had a QB who couldn't win...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, BIG ERN said:

I hear you. Def not all on AM but I think last year proved the kid just for some reason didn't have "it". Over and over was insanely not clutch. Toure had 900 yards receiving and got drafted. Allen was 1st team B10 TE. Center was taken in 2nd round. Our defense was good enough. We had a QB who couldn't win. 

I have been an Adrian fan.  I really liked the kid but your take is correct imo.  I think he could have had "it" and likely would have been a star in a different situation.

• Plus1 1

Yes Adrian had to overcompensate for alot of the o-line deficiencies. But the problem i will say is he tended to stare down the wr's, not make a accurate pass or holding on to ball to long especially when his line did give him time. I started to question not his heart or passion but if this offense was to much for him to handle. He definitely has skills just don't think he was the right qb for the offense bc of his decision making/game management skills and the not so accurate passing. I watched and studied Casey Thompson last year and he was right when he would throw and his body would overcompensate for his thumb injury. It looked like he didn't have any air underneath the ball if anybody understands what i mean no zip. But he definitely look like he could make the accurate throws and he did when he was healthy. I seen some practice footage and he was been running some option and rpo plays. Northwestern probably studied some tape on him while he played for Texas last year but since he is in a new offense they won't have a clue what he is going to do. Meaning if he doesn't see what he likes he takes off and runs. He may not be as fast as AM but Nebraska doesn't need him to be. Gain some yards and let others step up to help him. Im confident that we can kick a 30 yard field goal and SF has done enough during the off-season to put the team in the position not to end up like last year.

• Haha 2

I think what pretty much everybody is going to agree on is that if Raiola can fix even just half of the line's problems from last year and Prochazka is completely healthy, Thompson is in a position to help our team win a ton of games this year.

I feel good about the WR corps he has out there to throw the ball to. The pieces are all there for this season - the staff just has to get the psychology of the team into a place where it all gets put together.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I hear you. Def not all on AM but I think last year proved the kid just for some reason didn't have "it". Over and over was insanely not clutch. Toure had 900 yards receiving and got drafted. Allen was 1st team B10 TE. Center was taken in 2nd round. Our defense was good enough. We had a QB who couldn't win...

Now, have at least average special teams and how many more games would we have won?