Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

13 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Exactly if you are going to try and extend the play you have to MOVE. Can’t just sit in the pocket or just keep back pedaling. Gotta use the s#!tty blocking to step up or try and get lateral outside the hash marks. He literally backs up 5-10 yards and just sits there or throws off his back foot.

Quite frankly I’m convinced that he is over coached in the offseason on footwork and pocket movement that he is no longer doing what’s natural in a sense either.  You can tell he is trying too hard to put his coaching into action and it’s actually making him regress and footwork is actually off.  

We see this baseball quite often to where hitters are over coached in technique and become to robotic with their swing.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

On 10/8/2022 at 11:07 PM, admo said:

There have been passes thrown by Casey that we just haven't seen or been used to...  and it's very impressive.  Well, I haven't seen a Husker QB make these kind of TD passes regularly (weekly).  It's not yolo or hold the ball, scramble, run and throw.  Just incredible passes that are timing plays.

Northwestern - the 35  yard sideline TD pass to Castenada was absolutely perfect
North Dakota - the quick strike to Boerkircher for 20 yards was perfect; The rollout pass to Brewington for a TD was thrown so he could catch turn and run
Georgia Southern - great pass to Brody Belt for  20 yard score.
OU - Casey dropped a dime - perfectly thrown 35 yard TD pass to Palmer
Indiana - another perfect pass - to Oliver Martin for 35 yard TD score; another absolutely perfect ball thrown to Palmer for 70 yard score
Rutgers - Bam-Bam - The quick/immediate release (pass) thrown to Vokolek for 10 yard TD;  And The dagger - a great TD pass thrown to Palmer for 35 yard winning TD.

Casey's playing well, but there's no reason to overstate this to the point of being pure fiction. I've timestamped some similar throws.

Perfect sideline pass? 

Quick strike to a streaking tight end? 

Thrown to a spot for the receiver to catch and run?

Long balls put in the perfect spot? 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Casey's playing well, but there's no reason to overstate this to the point of being pure fiction. I've timestamped some similar throws.

Perfect sideline pass? 

There are great highlight reels of Adrian, Tommy and Taylor making incredible plays and passes. Adrian was the most accomplished passer by far, and a more than legit running threat.  

If I'm seeing anything preferable in Casey Thompson, it's quicker decision making that comes with his ability to thrown accurate passes in tighter fast-developing windows. A lot of those Adrian highlights feature wide open receivers in safer situations. 

I don't mind that Whipple doesn't used Thompson for more designed runs, but I do like that he trusts Casey near the goal line. I would like to see Thompson take advantage of more of those non-contact open field situations --- a wide open middle and a hook slide, or a quick dash to the open sideline.

Basically, Nebraska had a great dual threat quarterback in Adrian Martinez for four years, and they were four of the worst years in Nebraska football history.  A more traditional passing quarterback that turns the ground game over to a featured 25- 30 carry RB is a difference worth trying.  I think two coaching staffs and a lot of fans see Casey Thompson as clearly preferable to Logan Smothers. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Basically, Nebraska had a great dual threat quarterback in Adrian Martinez for four years, and they were four of the worst years in Nebraska football history.  A more traditional passing quarterback that turns the ground game over to a featured 25- 30 carry RB is a difference worth trying.  I think two coaching staffs and a lot of fans see Casey Thompson as clearly preferable to Logan Smothers. 

Absolutely. Frost was great at developing a lethal quarterback run game with Adrian, but that was far too much out of necessity not having the development/talent at the RB position to lean on. 

Both quarterbacks have had to deal with god awful lines, and while Casey has the benefit of Grant, Adrian had the benefit of much greater escapability. They're overall remarkably similar in terms of their physical ability throwing the ball - the best thing Casey has had going for him is better decision making, and even that isn't all that drastic but it is absolutely an edge. Basically all I'm saying is that it doesn't take being down on the former guys to appreciate the current guy.

13 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Perfect sideline pass? 

You put my guy 2AM in Casey Thompson thread?  With some cherry picking videos?  Sorry, but that make no sense to me.  

We can agree to disagree but I think CT is not "THE" problem when our offense stalls or is forced to punt. 

CT is a pocket passer that typically gets the ball out quickly to a receiver to make a play.  3 seconds and it's done.  Casey is not a traditional Husker QB that plays backyard football. You know, hold the ball too long, stare down receivers, scramble, run run run....

He doesn't try to turn "called passing plays" into backyard football  (That's a shot at several former Husker QBs).

If you don't like it, that's okay. 

It seems this team converts more 3rd downs with him (4-10 yards) and it is being taken for granted too often.  

This is the first year in a long time that the running backs are tagged with running the football, and not the quarterback.  Both positions doing their jobs with this pitiful offensive line.  And the receivers/TE need to make some tough catches at times.  You can't put every single throw in their facemask to be caught, or between their numbers.  Help the guy out that is giving you an opportunity to make a play IMO

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

You put my guy 2AM in Casey Thompson thread?  With some cherry picking videos?  Sorry, but that make no sense to me.  

We can agree to disagree but I think CT is not "THE" problem when our offense stalls or is forced to punt. 

CT is a pocket passer that typically gets the ball out quickly to a receiver to make a play.  3 seconds and it's done.  Casey is not a traditional Husker QB that plays backyard football. You know, hold the ball too long, stare down receivers, scramble, run run run....

He doesn't try to turn "called passing plays" into backyard football  (That's a shot at several former Husker QBs).

If you don't like it, that's okay. 

It seems this team converts more 3rd downs with him (4-10 yards) and it is being taken for granted too often.  

This is the first year in a long time that the running backs are tagged with running the football, and not the quarterback.  Both positions doing their jobs with this pitiful offensive line.  And the receivers/TE need to make some tough catches at times.  You can't put every single throw in their facemask to be caught, or between their numbers.  Help the guy out that is giving you an opportunity to make a play IMO

Your first and only claim was that Casey is making throws we haven't seen in years. And you cherrypicked examples, so I cherrypicked examples of the same types of throws from literally only last year.

You don't need to try and come up with a half dozen other tangent talking points about how they're different or whatever different point you're trying to get to now, as I wasn't addressing any of that. Only the specific point that we have never seen those throws before.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Your first and only claim was that Casey is making throws we haven't seen in years. And you cherrypicked examples, so I cherrypicked examples of the same types of throws from literally only last year.

You don't need to try and come up with a half dozen other tangent talking points about how they're different or whatever different point you're trying to get to now, as I wasn't addressing any of that. Only the specific point that we have never seen those throws before.

I hope Casey throws 4 Tds and you pee your pants

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
41 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I haven't gone back and read the thread, so if I missed it and that's not what you're trying to say, my bad but if you are trying to claim that Casey and Martinez are even remotely on the same playing field as passers, that is simply false.

• Thanks 2
  • TBH 1

Just for fun, a look at some of Casey's stats:

According to sports-reference dot com, last year he played in 12 games total. He had 24 TD's & 9 INT's, and those were the stats that made a lot of people really excited heading into this year. His completion percentage was 63.2% and he had 2,113 yards passing.

This year he's at the halfway point and has 9 TD's & 6 INT's, but his completion percentage is actually a bit higher at 65.6% and he has 1,497 yards.

So even though we're heading into the tougher competition of the season by and large now, he's easily on pace to put up more yards than he did last year. And, we have the running backs to punch the ball into the end zone so passing TD's is a less meaningful stat for me personally anyway.

He just really needs to loft the deep ones out there for Palmer to run under, that's the biggest thing holding him back right now IMO.

23 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just for fun, a look at some of Casey's stats:

According to sports-reference dot com, last year he played in 12 games total. He had 24 TD's & 9 INT's, and those were the stats that made a lot of people really excited heading into this year. His completion percentage was 63.2% and he had 2,113 yards passing.

This year he's at the halfway point and has 9 TD's & 6 INT's, but his completion percentage is actually a bit higher at 65.6% and he has 1,497 yards.

So even though we're heading into the tougher competition of the season by and large now, he's easily on pace to put up more yards than he did last year. And, we have the running backs to punch the ball into the end zone so passing TD's is a less meaningful stat for me personally anyway.

He just really needs to loft the deep ones out there for Palmer to run under, that's the biggest thing holding him back right now IMO.

Also take into account he may have logged 12 games last year he really only played about 8 full games due to injury. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

I haven't gone back and read the thread, so if I missed it and that's not what you're trying to say, my bad but if you are trying to claim that Casey and Martinez are even remotely on the same playing field as passers, that is simply false.

100/150 (66.6%) - 1463 yards - 6 TD - 2 INT - 166.58 QBR - 9.75 YPA

118/180 (65.6%) - 1497 yards - 9 TD - 6 INT - 145.2 QBR - 8.3 YPA

Which is which through 6 games in their fourth season?

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

100/150 (66.6%) - 1463 yards - 6 TD - 2 INT - 166.58 QBR - 9.75 YPA

118/180 (65.6%) - 1497 yards - 9 TD - 6 INT - 145.2 QBR - 8.3 YPA

Which is which through 6 games in their fourth season?

Or you know, we could compare both of them this season which actually makes sense.

Martinez:  86/138 (62.3%) - 900 yards - 4 TD - 0 INT - 126.7 - 6.5 YPA

I'll take Thompson for $1,000, Alex

• TBH 1
Just now, RedSavage said:

Not sure where you got those stats from but according to ESPN, you're only correct on Thompson.  

Martinez:  86/138 (62.3%) - 900 yards - 4 TD - 0 INT - 126.7 - 6.5 YPA

I'll take Thompson for $1,000, Alex

You're looking at his fifth year at Kansas State.