Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He's too small to run the ball much. He will get hurt more than he already does.

He's listed as 6' 195 lbs.  He's big enough.  

Like someone else said.  At least with running the ball, he is better prepared for contact, can slide when appropriate, can see it coming most of the time.  I would rather have that than a guy standing in the pocket and getting crushed while throwing the ball.

Grant is 5'11" and 200 lbs.  He's not too small to run the ball.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He's too small to run the ball much. He will get hurt more than he already does.

I don't expect him to be out there being Josh Allen and lowering the shoulder on a defender. Make the read if the QB run is it take your 5 yds or whatever and move on to the next play.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

RPO can be more about QB decision making and quick release/accuracy than QB size and running ability. A lot of NFL teams have modified the RPO game were it doesn’t necessarily have to be QB run oriented. 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1

57 minutes ago, JWHusker said:

There is a difference between RPO where you are initiating the contact and know you are going to take a hit and standing in the pocket and getting blindsided and crunched by guys every play.

That being said CT isn’t built for RPO is he?

I guess I should clarify. I'm not expecting him to bust runs like Taylor Martinez, or even Adrian Martinez. I just haven't seen enough of his running ability to know that he's a legit enough threat to keep defenses honest. 

8 minutes ago, GSG said:

I guess I should clarify. I'm not expecting him to bust runs like Taylor Martinez, or even Adrian Martinez. I just haven't seen enough of his running ability to know that he's a legit enough threat to keep defenses honest. 

Oh! Because he's not a Martinez he can't run now? That's sounds pretty bigoted of you. Sheesh...

I'll have you know Tommy Arm-so-strong was not a Martinez could run with the best of them.

• Haha 2
Just now, ZRod said:

Oh! Because he's not a Martinez he can't run now? That's sounds pretty bigoted of you. Sheesh...

I'll have you know Tommy Arm-so-strong was not a Martinez could run with the best of them.

Look, if he's not a Martinez, Lee, or Armstrong, then I DON'T WANT HIM! 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Casey Thompson seems like a mature young guy who is one upgrade away from having a season that might get him drafted. For all the s#!t given Whipple, he called games that played to Casey's strengths, but there's not a lot you can pull off consistently if your offensive line collapses upon the snap and can't create vertical running lanes. Even then, CT had good numbers and some great moments. Hope he gets the chance.

Spencer Rattler gives me a Sam Keller/Tanner Lee vibe.

I'd like every Nebraska quarterback to feel confident enough to scramble for the 8 yard first down when the defense leaves the opening. And maybe two designed QB draws a game. Maybe they're audibles when the QB sees it there for the taking. Hook slide if you want. There's no reason to ask for punishment, but as mentioned, if you're the calm, patient pocket passing QB everyone loves, you're set up to get hammered by huge lineman on your blindside. 

5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Out of the current qb's on the team who do you think should hit the portal? Do you think that having CT and JS they can coincide with each other? Bc I believe JS is looking to start and CT was the starter.

That's the problem.  My post was what I think would be nice.  I don't think it will work out that way.  Personally, I don't think we need both Purdy and Smothers.  Maybe keep one.  I personally like Smothers more just because he seems more athletic but, I'll leave that up to the coaches as to which one.  I don't see Haarberg doing anything here.  

I really want to see Torres and what this staff could do with him.  So, hoping he doesn't transfer.

The frustration is that if you're going to get someone from the portal, he's looking to start.  So depth pretty much has to come from the HS or Juco ranks.  We haven't done a great job of developing them.