Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's the problem.  My post was what I think would be nice.  I don't think it will work out that way.  Personally, I don't think we need both Purdy and Smothers.  Maybe keep one.  I personally like Smothers more just because he seems more athletic but, I'll leave that up to the coaches as to which one.  I don't see Haarberg doing anything here.  

I really want to see Torres and what this staff could do with him.  So, hoping he doesn't transfer.

I love Torres arm but I don't know how that translates to what CR wants to do on offense.  I really want CT to stay bc I think he could build on certain things from this year. Im not saying that he couldn't run rpo's if needed to but he was real hesitant to do so at certain times this year.  CT had to much faith in the o-line this year to protect him but he did hold on to the ball to long as well.  If he was more of a scrambler then you would think he would keep the defense guessing instead of sitting in the pocket trying to wait for the plays to develop.  JS I would say is more of a scrambler but has tried to be a pocket passer. With 40 touchdowns and 32 interceptions don't know if that was caused bc of bad decisions or other mistakes not due to him. I think Purdy can be a really good qb but just needs the right coaching.  He looked nervous bc he knew the o-line couldn't protect him so he tried forcing things.. Smothers is a great running qb but has lacked in trying to be a pocket passer. They all bring something to the table but they are different that's part of the problem and I believe Haarberg is the odd man out as well.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't see Haarberg doing anything here. 

Supposedly Whipple wanted to move him to TE.  With his size and athleticism, that would be a excellent fall back option if a) the current staff agrees and b) he realizes (and accpets) that he's not going to cut it as a D1 QB.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, GSG said:

Look, if he's not a Martinez, Lee, or Armstrong, then I DON'T WANT HIM! 

Not Lee you fool! You mean Zac with only a "C", and Joey's. 

Man, Zac Lee did not have wheels but damnit did he ever try! I still remember when he took off against Mizzou and he was so pissed he got tackled because he legitimately thought he was breaking loose for a TD. Love the spirit!

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Man, Zac Lee did not have wheels but damnit did he ever try! I still remember when he took off against Mizzou and he was so pissed he got tackled because he legitimately thought he was breaking loose for a TD. Love the spirit!

If I recall correctly, guy did make an NFL practice roster. His arm really wasn't as bad as a lot of people remember. I think he just wasn't the QB that fans wanted him to be in that era he was the starter, mainly.

Just now, Undone said:

If I recall correctly, guy did make an NFL practice roster. His arm really wasn't as bad as a lot of people remember. I think he just wasn't the QB that fans wanted him to be in that era he was the starter, mainly.

His arm was pretty decent. I stood and watch a few practices through the fence as a student and he could wing it. If you remember his shoulder was messed up too. I think he had a torn labrum as well.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 12/17/2022 at 5:15 PM, suh_fan93 said:

FkMJOuXXoAMxbrz?format=jpg&name=large

Man, he's so smart and to me, the best pure passer we've ever had.  I so wish he would return but wish him the best if he do not.  He's got "after football goals" so I will not hold my breath.  Just very proud of Casey and glad he is a Husker for life.  :)  Once a Husker, Always a Husker! :w00t

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Casey Thompson clearly embraces competition, even amid adversity. He proved it throughout the 2022 season, and he’ll try to prove it again in 2023, once again as a Nebraska quarterback.

“Listen, his thinking is he left the season as a starter and he expects to return and start next season,” Charles Thompson, the player’s father, said Monday. “That’s where his mindset is.”  

“There’s been no doubt what Casey is planning to do,” the elder Thompson added. “The coaches have been fully aware of that. Everybody’s on the same page.”

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 3

49 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Casey Thompson clearly embraces competition, even amid adversity. He proved it throughout the 2022 season, and he’ll try to prove it again in 2023, once again as a Nebraska quarterback.

“Listen, his thinking is he left the season as a starter and he expects to return and start next season,” Charles Thompson, the player’s father, said Monday. “That’s where his mindset is.”  

“There’s been no doubt what Casey is planning to do,” the elder Thompson added. “The coaches have been fully aware of that. Everybody’s on the same page.”

:clap

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Definitely.  Unfortunately for us our offensive line is still in dire need.  CT also won't have his favorite target back next year in Palmer.  Gonna be very interesting.  I just hope they can make an all hands on deck effort to give him much better protection next year.  I'm not holding my breath sadly regarding that.