Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

6 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I know this is a lot to expect from a freshman, but hopefully Coleman’s great talent can pick up part of the slack, along with Fleeks. Decoldest is gone. Who is that other receiver from last year’s class that appears to still be on the team? Hopefully the staff can get him going. Perhaps with Jackson gone, Rhule will recruit one more WR transfer.

Yeah, what has been going on with Janiran Bonner? 4-star, second-best rated in our class (now first with Gould gone). I know he was a late addition last year, but I have heard nothing about him at all.

6 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I know this is a lot to expect from a freshman, but hopefully Coleman’s great talent can pick up part of the slack, along with Fleeks. Decoldest is gone. Who is that other receiver from last year’s class that appears to still be on the team? Hopefully the staff can get him going. Perhaps with Jackson gone, Rhule will recruit one more WR transfer.

Washington & Brown. Some of the younger guys will need to step up.

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yes I feel Rhule is aware and doesn't want a daily QB questionnaire happening during Spring Practices (QB controversy).  Especially when last season's QB is rehabbing.  

However, fall ball will tell the real story.  I am glad we have Casey (even though I am not 100% sold that he comes back) and glad we have Sims.  Spring practice doesn't need both QBs competing.  Going into fall camp, yes for sure.

2 hours ago, admo said:

Yes I feel Rhule is aware and doesn't want a daily QB questionnaire happening during Spring Practices (QB controversy).  Especially when last season's QB is rehabbing.  

However, fall ball will tell the real story.  I am glad we have Casey (even though I am not 100% sold that he comes back) and glad we have Sims.  Spring practice doesn't need both QBs competing.  Going into fall camp, yes for sure.

I really hope Casey comes back.  The little bit of film I’ve seen of Sims does not instill confidence in his throwing ability. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really hope Casey comes back.  The little bit of film I’ve seen of Sims does not instill confidence in his throwing ability. 

So do I....  But also, I think what you just said is absolutely perfect and the realization that many Husker fans don't want to accept.  So hear me out, because I am speaking. 

For 3 decades, the majority of Husker fans just follow the ball.  They want their QB to run with ball every time when they don't pass it.  And that is what football is to them, besides an occasional hand off to a fullback or running option with "an I-back".  

It does not work that way anymore.  Look at the previous QBs that ran the ball and threw it (From Frazier to Crouch to Lord to Taylor Martinez, etc).  Look at the previous QBs that passed "OK", but ran it too, and also threw YOLO bombs (Tommy Gun and 2AM).  Look at the statue QBs under HC Mike Riley.

Sims is a nice addition.  He can run (GBR!!!) and throw fastballs (Do they get caught or overthrown?)

I think we are both happy to have him on the squad.  I also agree that his throwing ability isn't as crisp as the few positive highlights that Husker fans cling onto.  

Casey, on the other hand, is a traditional QB that releases the ball within that 2.5 - 3 second decision from the snap (most plays). And he was on point with the deep ball (most plays).  He doesn't just chuck it up there at a bail out attempt, some kind of Hail Mary Yolo try that might connect once every 8-15 tries.

I'm anxious to see how Sims does, specifically in Fall Camp and when the real games get here.  I think we will see him often in different packages, even with Casey being the starter.  If Sims wins the job (I doubt it), then it's great for the team because he can be consistent with his throws - more than Casey can do.  And NOT because he can start running with the ball because he didn't throw it within that 2.5-3.5 clock (I hope).  Otherwise we are back to QB pass, QB run, QB scramble, QB throw it away, QB tired by 4th quarter and QB throw another Interception to end the chance of winning.

• Plus1 1

I haven't really looked too closely, has anyone seen anything from Sims that would suggest he's any better than Smothers, Purdy, or any other QB on the roster whose name isn't in the title of this thread?

• Haha 1