Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

On 3/9/2023 at 11:36 PM, admo said:

Really ??!?!  Wow... why ?

He had nearly half his yards in three games against pretty unimpressive opponents. He averaged under 200 yards passing in the other seven games he played, which would have been #106 in the nation. 

In the month of October (four games) he threw 8 TDs and 8 INTs. Not good. 

When not targeting Trey Palmer, he threw 8 TDs and 10 INTs. Also not good. 

He racked up some decent stats because he could chuck it deep and let Palmer outrun everyone (once he figured out not to underthrow him by 15 yards). But he also missed a lot of throws badly. 

We can do better. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He had nearly half his yards in three games against pretty unimpressive opponents. He averaged under 200 yards passing in the other seven games he played, which would have been #106 in the nation. 

He racked up some decent stats because he could chuck it deep and let Palmer outrun everyone (once he figured out not to underthrow him by 15 yards). But he also missed a lot of throws badly. 

We can do better. 

Dude was throwing deep outs money when he had time and people were open.

They were a different team when he didn’t play.  Way worse.

I don’t think stats do his performance justice.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3
25 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Dude was throwing deep outs money when he had time and people were open.

They were a different team when he didn’t play.  Way worse.

I don’t think stats do his performance justice.

I mean, pretty much every qb out there can throw to open receivers when they have time. Not exactly something to write home about. 

And just because the other guys are bad doesn’t make him good. 

• TBH 3
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean, pretty much every qb out there can throw to open receivers when they have time. Not exactly something to write home about. 

And just because the other guys are bad doesn’t make him good. 

We’ve had 3 straight 3 QBs that can’t hit a crossing route or throw to the flat.  

Is Thompson going all conference?….no.  Was he pressured significantly?….yes.  Did he have a running game?…..no.  Was there much depth at WR?….not really.

We are a lot better with him than we are without him.  I’m glad he’s here.

You realize you’re saying “pretty much every QB can do it” and then saying the other QBs are not that good right?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

5 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You realize you’re saying “pretty much every QB can do it” and then saying the other QBs are not that good right?

I didn’t say that. You did. 

You can have your opinion and make all the excuses you want. Things don’t happen in a vacuum. But he was pretty average and missed a lot of throws badly. 

You have to ignore pretty much all the stats to try to claim anything different. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
16 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

We’ve had 3 straight 3 QBs that can’t hit a crossing route or throw to the flat.  

Is Thompson going all conference?….no.  Was he pressured significantly?….yes.  Did he have a running game?…..no.  Was there much depth at WR?….not really.

Interesting that Martinez played behind the same line with basically the same passing stats. But you often ripped on him and are going out of your way to defend Thompson. At least Martinez could run. 

16 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

We are a lot better with him than we are without him.  I’m glad he’s here.

This is how people who are trying to convince themselves of something talk. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You can have your opinion and make all the excuses you want. Things don’t happen in a vacuum. But he was pretty average and missed a lot of throws badly. 

View how you want but you’re doing the exact same thing I am from a different perspective.  Ignoring 3 games to then call his stats into question doesn’t seem fair, but whatever.  His stats before he joined one of the worst offenses in the country seemed decent.

32 sacks last year.  92nd in the country.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
36 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Sometimes.  I could cherry pick games he didn’t for argument sake.

I didn’t ignore games. I expressly mentioned them. 

Nice of you to keep hounding me about stats when you’ve had exactly none to back up you points. 

Last year Thompson was on 12/22 (54%) for 223 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs on throws between 10 and 20 yards outside the hashes. I’m not sure he was as good at those throws as you remember him being. 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I didn’t ignore games. I expressly mentioned them. 

Nice of you to keep hounding me about stats when you’ve had exactly none to back up you points. 

Last year Thompson was on 12/22 (54%) for 223 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs on throws between 10 and 20 yards outside the hashes. I’m not sure he was as good at those throws as you remember him being. 

You are without question the most valuable member of Huskerboard….in my opinion.  What I know about recruiting is largely because of you.  The happenings and current status of team you are all over.  I very much appreciate it.

You and I share a different perspective on this one.  And that’s ok.  I’m tapping out.  Got an anniversary to celebrate and then Usman is on.  Have a great evening sir.

edit:  I guess Usman is next week.  Anniversary was ok.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

We can do better. 

He played behind one of the worst o-lines in the country though

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 hours ago, Mavric said:

We can do better. 

Of course we can do better. But let’s be honest how often have we. Yes his numbers tanked just like grant when we started playing more capable defensive lines. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

We can do better. 

He beat the f#&% out of Iowa on the road.  20-30 278yds 3 TD 0 INT

He had no turnovers vs Wisconsin; Huskers lead 14-9 with under 4 minutes to go.  

He injured his shoulder during the season.  Missed games.

The running game was insufficient.  Sometimes non-existent.

The pass protection looked awful, some of the worst I ever saw by NU.

His head coach was fired after the 3rd game of the season.

His OC had serious questionable play calling in many situations all year.

His interim HC never coached before as a head coach.

I get that they had Palmer and Washington as recievers, but they also rolled out Oliver Martin, A.Brown, Omar Manning, Vokelek (when healthy), Brewington, Castenada.  :facepalm:

His stats were kind of meh, so I agree.  He wasn't a perfect QB at all.  But I do take into consideration everything else I mentioned.  

I feel like I cannot change your mind about him last season.  But I also don't think you can change my mind neither.  I am glad we have him and he should be projected as returning starter.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1