Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

1 hour ago, admo said:

He beat the f#&% out of Iowa on the road.  20-30 278yds 3 TD 0 INT

He had no turnovers vs Wisconsin; Huskers lead 14-9 with under 4 minutes to go.  

He injured his shoulder during the season.  Missed games.

The running game was insufficient.  Sometimes non-existent.

The pass protection looked awful, some of the worst I ever saw by NU.

His head coach was fired after the 3rd game of the season.

His OC had serious questionable play calling in many situations all year.

His interim HC never coached before as a head coach.

I get that they had Palmer and Washington as recievers, but they also rolled out Oliver Martin, A.Brown, Omar Manning, Vokelek (when healthy), Brewington, Castenada.  :facepalm:

His stats were kind of meh, so I agree.  He wasn't a perfect QB at all.  But I do take into consideration everything else I mentioned.  

I feel like I cannot change your mind about him last season.  But I also don't think you can change my mind neither.  I am glad we have him and he should be projected as returning starter.  

If you don't think the bolded was helpful then I don't know about your mental state my dude :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 3/11/2023 at 3:52 PM, Mavric said:

He had nearly half his yards in three games against pretty unimpressive opponents. He averaged under 200 yards passing in the other seven games he played, which would have been #106 in the nation. 

In the month of October (four games) he threw 8 TDs and 8 INTs. Not good. 

When not targeting Trey Palmer, he threw 8 TDs and 10 INTs. Also not good. 

He racked up some decent stats because he could chuck it deep and let Palmer outrun everyone (once he figured out not to underthrow him by 15 yards). But he also missed a lot of throws badly. 

We can do better. 

So…..if you take away when he was hood, he was bad.  

Ok. When you ranked him #106, did you also take the three best games for all the other QBs?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok. When you ranked him #106, did you also take the three best games for all the other QBs?

I appreciated him keeping off the streets and out of prison.  

"Dear Mama" Casey was better than this version...

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 9.58.05 PM.png

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not trying to say that because he was bad some of the time means he was bad all of the time.  But being relatively lackluster in seven games vs having three good games isn't a great ratio.  Comparing it to the #106 team in the country was just a way to give context to that average - I realize if you take away all teams best three games the average would go down.  But I felt that seven games was still a fairly reasonable sample size for a season. 

If I was really wanting to talk him down I would have pointed out that you could pick four games (North Dakota, Oklahoma, Illinois and Wisconsin) where he only averaged 150 yards per game, which would have been #125 in the country - basically only beating the service academies and winless teams.  But seven games was a majority of the season that still included a couple pretty good games (Iowa and Indiana).  Just taking out games that I feel could be outliers - against a Northwestern team that only had one win on the year and had no film of our offense to prepare for, a middling Sun Belt team and a Purdue team that insisted on single-covering Palmer even though he ran by them again and again.  I'm not sure that it was all Thompson's skill as a QB that helped pile up stats in those three games. 

In the remainder of the season, he was pretty average, even with the fastest wide receiver in the draft to throw YOLO bombs to.

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not trying to say that because he was bad some of the time means he was bad all of the time.  But being relatively lackluster in seven games vs having three good games isn't a great ratio.  Comparing it to the #106 team in the country was just a way to give context to that average - I realize if you take away all teams best three games the average would go down.  But I felt that seven games was still a fairly reasonable sample size for a season. 

If I was really wanting to talk him down I would have pointed out that you could pick four games (North Dakota, Oklahoma, Illinois and Wisconsin) where he only averaged 150 yards per game, which would have been #125 in the country - basically only beating the service academies and winless teams.  But seven games was a majority of the season that still included a couple pretty good games (Iowa and Indiana).  Just taking out games that I feel could be outliers - against a Northwestern team that only had one win on the year and had no film of our offense to prepare for, a middling Sun Belt team and a Purdue team that insisted on single-covering Palmer even though he ran by them again and again.  I'm not sure that it was all Thompson's skill as a QB that helped pile up stats in those three games. 

In the remainder of the season, he was pretty average, even with the fastest wide receiver in the draft to throw YOLO bombs to.

ND St.  - we ran the ball, coaches decision.

Oklahoma - Casey got hurt.

IL & WI -  he played hurt. 

I also think our offensive play calling had something to do with it.   Too many long routes.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

11 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Rhamir brings in the pass against Illinois and it’s arguably a TD and 2-score game against one of the top ranked defenses in the nation, instead he gets blown up and injured two plays later, followed by sitting out the next two. 

He threw for 150yards through 1.5 quarters. 

He also threw 2 INTs in 1.5 quarters.  Which isn't helpful.  And was under 50% completions.  And nearly 60% of those yards were on two completions to Tight Ends which was their longest receptions of their careers.  Which doesn't seem to be really repeatable.

So, again, racking up some stats but not really all that great of a performance.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He also threw 2 INTs in 1.5 quarters.  Which isn't helpful.  And was under 50% completions.  And nearly 60% of those yards were on two completions to Tight Ends which was their longest receptions of their careers.  Which doesn't seem to be really repeatable.

So, again, racking up some stats but not really all that great of a performance.

Since we’re both making subjective comments, as to what’s repeatable or not, Rahmir has the jets to outrun Illinois defenders to make his stat line 8/14 for 220 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT and up 16-3. Maybe only 15-3 since we can’t kick well and the dude misses twice. Instead his day is done with an injury on his 2nd INT, 7/15 for 150 and a single TD

I don’t think we’re going to change each others opinion, that’s cool, I just don’t believe he’s has poor of a QB as you believe he is.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

Since we’re both making subjective comments, as to what’s repeatable or not, Rahmir has the jets to outrun Illinois defenders to make his stat line 8/14 for 220 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT and up 16-3. Maybe only 15-3 since we can’t kick well and the dude misses twice. Instead his day is done with an injury on his 2nd INT, 7/15 for 150 and a single TD

I don’t think we’re going to change each others opinion, that’s cool, I just don’t believe he’s has poor of a QB as you believe he is.

Whether or not a running back can get a bunch of yards after the catch seems to be an odd basis for evaluating a quarterback. 

• TBH 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Whether or not a running back can get a bunch of yards after the catch seems to be an odd basis for evaluating a quarterback. 

…It’s a dropped pass in the bread basket, on the run. Perfect call, perfect pass for a TD. Since when do YAC not count toward a stat line? Pretty sure a consensus for bringing Thompson in was that not only would he attempt it, but he could hit the deep pass. What a weird hill to die on. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I imagine you consider the game ending INT against NW his fault too?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Jim Halpert GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I imagine you consider the game ending INT against NW his fault too?

So you only want to hear about things that he did well or could have gone better and ignore anything to the contrary.  Up to you I guess.

8 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

…It’s a dropped pass in the bread basket, on the run. Perfect call, perfect pass for a TD. Since when do YAC not count toward a stat line? Pretty sure a consensus for bringing Thompson in was that not only would he attempt it, but he could hit the deep pass. What a weird hill to die on. 

You are so all over the board on this that it's hard to keep up.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Reality is almost always in the middle.  Thompson is capable of being a decent, middle of the road, QB with a decent supporting cast.  However, I personally think this thread dies fairly quickly after the spring because it will become apparent that he isn't going to be the guy under center in August.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Reality is almost always in the middle.  Thompson is capable of being a decent, middle of the road, QB with a decent supporting cast.  However, I personally think this thread dies fairly quickly after the spring because it will become apparent that he isn't going to be the guy under center in August.  

If this happens, I think it will be because of his health and not because Sims is a better passer.

• TBH 2