Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Haarberg has all summer and fall to work on his back up duties. 

And I know Purdy hasn't shown much so far in his college career, but this may give him a mental boost to turn his career around and make something of it.  Purdy can run the ball decently, and the QB-run game will probably be used more with Rhule & Satterfield.

I don't understand why people are so shocked by this.  Backup QBs transfer.

The writing has been on the wall since Sims was brought in.  I think it was the signing day presser where Rhule raved about Sims for a minute and when asked about CT he said "yeah, he's a great kid".  Toss in Rhule wanting the QB to be part of the run game and on top of that CT not going through spring ball.

Also I think people are over inflating CT as bit.  He was a fine QB, it's not like he was all-Conference level or anything.  Doesn't have the strongest arm and floated a lot of throws.  I know Palmer went nuts in the Purdue game, but CT missed A TON of throws in that game.  17/10 TD/INT ratio in 10 games is nothing to write home about.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't understand why people are so shocked by this.  Backup QBs transfer.

I don't see anyone "shocked". I see people disappointed, like me.  I always knew this was a possibility, so I'm not "shocked". 

But, there are other teams that are able to keep two good QBs on the roster.  For some reason, we can't.  I see this as just another year where we go half the season in with decent QB play, he gets hurt and the staff has to figure out how in the world they are going to try to win with either of the other two QBs...which, probably isn't going to go well.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I don't see anyone "shocked". I see people disappointed, like me.  I always knew this was a possibility, so I'm not "shocked". 

But, there are other teams that are able to keep two good QBs on the roster.  For some reason, we can't.  I see this as just another year where we go half the season in with decent QB play, he gets hurt and the staff has to figure out how in the world they are going to try to win with either of the other two QBs...which, probably isn't going to go well.

To play devil's advocate here, who are you thinking of other than Bama when they had Hurts and Tua? And even in that case, Tua was hyped but unknown. You don't usually know that you have 2 good ones until the 2nd guy has to prove himself. And once he does, somebody is going to leave.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

To play devil's advocate here, who are you thinking of other than Bama when they had Hurts and Tua? And even in that case, Tua was hyped but unknown. You don't usually know that you have 2 good ones until the 2nd guy has to prove himself. And once he does, somebody is going to leave.

Bolded.  Exactly....so, I can't give you a list.  But, it has been forever since we have had a backup that has been able to come in and shine.  We just can't accomplish that.  But...other teams can.  So, there's obviously other teams that can have two good QBs on the roster.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Bolded.  Exactly....so, I can't give you a list.  But, it has been forever since we have had a backup that has been able to come in and shine.  We just can't accomplish that.  But...other teams can.  So, there's obviously other teams that can have two good QBs on the roster.

Fair enough, I also don't have confidence we have a decent 2nd guy right now. But I don't think anyone has two guys that each have 20+ P5 starts, so keeping Thompson and Sims is a bit beyond just having two good QBs. Keeping two good (or at least decent) and experienced starters is tough.

I think we can get there, we just had problems with QB recruiting under Frost and then Whipple couldn't be bothered to work with anyone other than the starter IIRC. I'm delusional and think Purdy/Haarberg could be solid by the time games roll around, but the more realistic hope is we've got a starter and an above average backup in 2025. But again, we won't know that unless the starter gets hurt so it may never feel like we have 2 good ones. And once we feel that way, one is gone.

37 minutes ago, Husker816 said:

Sims looked great but he does run a bit chances of him getting injured aren't low. Boy we are walking a thin line of anywhere from 2-6 wins this year 

The chances of a non running QB getting injured behind this line are already not low. See last year and Casey Thompson.  Being able to run for his life is a plus.

• TBH 3

I always thought Thompson had more ability as a runner than we'd really seen from him (like his dad), he'd just never had a coach/OC who liked to use QB runs. He would've needed some time to practice as a runner, though, and this spring would have been the best time to do it. Kinda feels like a case of unfortunate timing to me.

• TBH 1

Maybe the conversation went like this...

Rhule: Hey Casey, we owe you this info moving forward. Dylan Raiola is N.  Just don't tell anyone.  

Casey:  Ok.  I'll just show myself to the portal....

Losing Casey to the portal is a huge hit.  No way to sugar coat it IMHO.  When was the last time NU made it through a season with a healthy QB.....

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
54 minutes ago, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

Does this mean @admo lost the bet already???

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I didn't see either specifying that they had to both be at Nebraska.  As long as Casey isn't a "backup" QB ....

I'm in as technically that's correct.  @admo can still win if Thompson starts game 1 at another school and Sims doesn't.  Even if that school is Iowa. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1