Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

42 minutes ago, admo said:

Agreed.  I'm expecting Joseph (and Whipple) to help with more efficient WR routes.  Some of the problems, in addition to slow decision making, and late throws, I feel were slow crossing routes (short mid range).  Thompson will get rid of quick, but we could use better routes imo.

Yep on all

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I hope Smothers stays.  We need a minimum of 3 capable QBs.  He has plenty of head start on all the competition.  Thompson may be ‘All that’ but we don’t know.  Whipple will put the best operator on the field, not just the best athlete.  Imo.  

I hope Smothers stays too! (I’m late reading this thread so if anyone has heard anything about Smothers leaving let me know!) He needs to know he’s needed!!

• Fire 1
On 1/10/2022 at 2:31 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Obviously 2Am wasn't perfect and he could have done some things to make the offense work better.  But, the O line was a much bigger problem than he was.

Stop it! You know the fate of the entire team lay squarely on the shoulder of one 20 something year old. The 5 or 10 others on the field had no input.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Apologies if this has already been posted:

Thompsons post injury numbers are pretty similar to Adrians numbers, and his pre injury numbers are considerably better, especially the td to int ratio. One thing I think we need to make sure we realize is that on average the defenses in the big 10 are considerably better than the defenses in the big 12

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

Thompsons post injury numbers are pretty similar to Adrians numbers, and his pre injury numbers are considerably better, especially the td to int ratio. One thing I think we need to make sure we realize is that on average the defenses in the big 10 are considerably better than the defenses in the big 12

This honestly isn't that true.  The B1G had 5 teams finish in the top 25 for defense compared to 4 for the Big 12.  If you look at the top 50, then the B1G had 9 teams compared to 5 for the Big 12.   

If you look at the offenses now,  the B1G had 2 teams place in the top 25 compared to 3 for the Big 12.  If you go top 50,  the B1G had 3 teams compared to 6 for the Big 12. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

This honestly isn't that true.  The B1G had 5 teams finish in the top 25 for defense compared to 4 for the Big 12.  If you look at the top 50, then the B1G had 9 teams compared to 5 for the Big 12.   

If you look at the offenses now,  the B1G had 2 teams place in the top 25 compared to 3 for the Big 12.  If you go top 50,  the B1G had 3 teams compared to 6 for the Big 12. 

Good gameplanning can help against defenses. I mean yes it hard to gameplan but Smothers looked pretty good against Iowa's good D. I just want to know how play calling changes if the kicker and punter we got will produce like they have previously. Didn't realize we got them for 3 years!

Comparisons between conferences is interesting and perhaps useful but Frost needs to build a team to first win the Big Ten west and then the conference.  Focus on those objectives.  Imo therefore, the Huskers need to out ‘Big Ten’ at its own game.  The Big Ten is evolving somewhat from its traditionally being a power and size and strength based formula to blending in more popular spread / passing etc.  Yet, even so, to win this league, size and strength and power over finesse, is a primary need.  
In this regard, I believe Frost, early on recognized the need for bigger linemen etc.  His recruiting suggests this with TEs and O line etc., and after some time, WRs and RBs.  Defense has similar signs as well.  Our players have been well conditioned although the 4th quarters have not finished with disappointing offensive drives and late weakness on defense.  It is hard to say the Huskers were the stronger team as the games wore on.  We kinda run out of gas down the final 8 minutes.  We are getting better albeit incrementally. Needs to continue.  

This is where the ability to run the dam

ball comes into play so critically.  We aren’t there yet and Frost doesn’t seem to see the need for more power and the pieces (big bodies in the O line and extra blocking from backs etc).   He’s still overtly focused on QBs and WRs in recruiting.  We may end up with more additions to the QB room

than O line.  Very hard to reconcile this.  

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I do believe he means the big 10 has much tougher defenses then the big 12.   I'd put the B12 on the same level as the Pac 12.   B10 on same level as SEC.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I do believe he means the big 10 has much tougher defenses then the big 12.   I'd put the B12 on the same level as the Pac 12.   B10 on same level as SEC.

Big Ten Defensive rankings by team is also helped by style of play by the offenses. I know that the Big Ten has very good/great defenses, but their National rankings are boosted by opposing offenses preferring to slow things down, grind the clock out, and being more conservative. It leads to fewer offensive drives, fewer offensive plays, and fewer points. I also think the QB quality isn't as strong in the Big Ten, which leads to fewer points scored. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Comparisons between conferences is interesting and perhaps useful but Frost needs to build a team to first win the Big Ten west and then the conference.  Focus on those objectives.  Imo therefore, the Huskers need to out ‘Big Ten’ at its own game.  The Big Ten is evolving somewhat from its traditionally being a power and size and strength based formula to blending in more popular spread / passing etc.  Yet, even so, to win this league, size and strength and power over finesse, is a primary need.  
In this regard, I believe Frost, early on recognized the need for bigger linemen etc.  His recruiting suggests this with TEs and O line etc., and after some time, WRs and RBs.  Defense has similar signs as well.  Our players have been well conditioned although the 4th quarters have not finished with disappointing offensive drives and late weakness on defense.  It is hard to say the Huskers were the stronger team as the games wore on.  We kinda run out of gas down the final 8 minutes.  We are getting better albeit incrementally. Needs to continue.  

This is where the ability to run the dam

ball comes into play so critically.  We aren’t there yet and Frost doesn’t seem to see the need for more power and the pieces (big bodies in the O line and extra blocking from backs etc).   He’s still overtly focused on QBs and WRs in recruiting.  We may end up with more additions to the QB room

than O line.  Very hard to reconcile this.  

We offered a 170 lb QB and a 165 lb RB for the class of 2023.  I am not sure this bodes well for wanting to run any type of a power based scheme and/or run game.  RB put up some crazy numbers though.  Maybe he was recruited more for his return abilities.  It's still unknown what the heck we will run on O.  A lot of speculation at this point.  I'm with you that we have to develop a potent run game with a dedicated RB or 2.  Not a run game based on the QB.  And a power scheme that's capable from the red zone (I know better ST play would increase red zone production).  

Unless things change drastically on the OL whoever is our QB is going to struggle. Although AM had his faults he saved our bacon countless times with his escapability.

Nebraska position review: Offensive line.

One of the worst in FBS:

Nebraska is one of the worst pass blocking teams in FBS and is ranked No. 126 out of the 130 FBS teams. The Huskers received a 29.2 pass block grade. The next closest Big Ten team is Iowa, which sits at No. 101 with a 52.2 pass block grade.

NU's starting interior (Nouri Nouili, Cam Jurgens and Matt Sitcherman) averaged a 65 pass block grade. The two tackles, Turner Corcoran on the left and Bryce Benhart on the right, average to a 15 grade.

The starting lineup, including Corcoran's zero grade and Benhart's 30, averages a 34 pass block grade.

One of worst in Division I football:

Now that we've look at FBS, let's take a look at all of Division I football including the FBS and FCS.

Based on PFF's offensive line pass block efficiency grade, Nebraska earned a 78.5 grade as a unit. With that grade, the Huskers have the No. 282 worst O-line out of the 295 teams in Division I football. Nebraska is tied with UNLV at No. 282 which went 2-10 in 2021.

The next closest Power Five teams are Colorado at No. 271 with a 80.5 grade and Indiana at No. 242 with a 83.7 grade.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1