Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

9 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We had -1 yard because sacks count against our rushing totals and Whipple doesn't seem to know how to run outside the tackles. Neither of Palmer's TDs we're in stride. He had to slow up for both of them. He just had the defense so ridiculously beat it didn't matter. Casey is no better and no worse at the deep ball than Martinez is. His throw to Martin was pretty solid though.

I don't really have a problem with the slight underthrows on the deep balls.  When he's that open you HAVE to give him a chance.  Earlier in the year he kept overthrowing those.  We probably beat Northwestern if he just gives Palmer a chance on ONE of them.

And I don't have a real problem with missing a throw here and there.  It happens.

My issue from last night was how badly he was missing throws, especially throws to wide open receivers.  He threw a couple out of bounds where all he had to do was get it in the area.  His two interceptions were because he threw the ball some 15 yards short of where it should have been.  He had Grant for a TD where he should have thrown earlier but instead he waited then had to zing it in there and missed.  Those are all throws that even below average college QBs need to make.  Maybe miss one of those but definitely not all five.  None were hard throws.

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't really have a problem with the slight underthrows on the deep balls.  When he's that open you HAVE to give him a chance.  Earlier in the year he kept overthrowing those.  We probably beat Northwestern if he just gives Palmer a chance on ONE of them.

And I don't have a real problem with missing a throw here and there.  It happens.

My issue from last night was how badly he was missing throws, especially throws to wide open receivers.  He threw a couple out of bounds where all he had to do was get it in the area.  His two interceptions were because he threw the ball some 15 yards short of where it should have been.  He had Grant for a TD where he should have thrown earlier but instead he waited then had to zing it in there and missed.  Those are all throws that even below average college QBs need to make.  Maybe miss one of those but definitely not all five.  None were hard throws.

Before the Rutgers game I was told he is so beat up, not to expect accuracy.  

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

His first one he didn't see the defender that dropped into the zone.  There was a pretty good endzone shot where you can see CT looking to his left at Vok i think and the defender just jumped up and grabbed the pass.  If he sees him at all he might have been able to put a little more air on it or not throw it at all.  The second one was pretty bad. Well short and about 5 yards inside of where Palmer was.  

• Plus1 1

In fairness, Casey T is not our problem. He’s played winning fb in my view.  Not perfect but better than prior QBs at NU in a long long time.  

The line play is our primary problem.  Those guys just have to find a lot more to their overall game to enable this team to win games.  With a good line, I’m convinced this coaching staff could win the west division, esp if they got to coach in Dublin.   

An awakening of epic scale is needed in the O line.   I’d let the backups play if after 2 series it remains obvious they can’t win the LOS.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

In fairness, Casey T is not our problem. He’s played winning fb in my view.  Not perfect but better than prior QBs at NU in a long long time.  

The line play is our primary problem.  Those guys just have to find a lot more to their overall game to enable this team to win games.  With a good line, I’m convinced this coaching staff could win the west division, esp if they got to coach in Dublin.   

An awakening of epic scale is needed in the O line.   I’d let the backups play if after 2 series it remains obvious they can’t win the LOS.  

100000% correct. Casey Thompson is if anything an asset. Not saying he's one of the best QBs in cfb, but you give him a line, he's going to do a lot more than what you're seeing.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

His first one he didn't see the defender that dropped into the zone.  There was a pretty good endzone shot where you can see CT looking to his left at Vok i think and the defender just jumped up and grabbed the pass.  If he sees him at all he might have been able to put a little more air on it or not throw it at all.  The second one was pretty bad. Well short and about 5 yards inside of where Palmer was.  

Eh ... maybe he saw him, maybe he didn't.  I don't think that pass was getting there even if the defender wasn't there.  It was underthrown.

IIRC you can see Vokolek start to break forward before the ball was intercepted.  It looked to me like he could tell out of his hand it was going to be short.

Count to 3 or 4 Mississippi from the snap.

When you get blindsided and driven into the turf, don't say he holds onto the ball too long, or that he should just run.

If he throws some duck passes, maybe it's a combination of things.  

All I a can say is that it looks easier on TV when you are holding a beer.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... maybe he saw him, maybe he didn't.  I don't think that pass was getting there even if the defender wasn't there.  It was underthrown.

IIRC you can see Vokolek start to break forward before the ball was intercepted.  It looked to me like he could tell out of his hand it was going to be short.

The pass was indeed going to be short and likely incomplete.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...