Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

One thing you are missing... He knows why he wasn't given the opportunities sooner.  The onus was on him.  I don't know what he will do for sure but if he leaves, I don't think it will be for those reasons.

I guess it depends if he actually agrees with the reasons he wasn’t getting called up. He’d have to think pretty little of his own capabilities to feel he couldn’t contribute more than a guy with a high ankle sprain and broken jaw and a history of not getting it done in crunch time. JMO.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess it depends if he actually agrees with the reasons he wasn’t getting called up. He’d have to think pretty little of his own capabilities to feel he couldn’t contribute more than a guy with a high ankle sprain and broken jaw and a history of not getting it done in crunch time. JMO.

At the mid point of the season, he knew he couldn't run the whole offense.  I believe he understands why.  I also think he believes he can win the job next year based on a few things I have heard.  That's why I'm really not sure what he will do.  Some of the lack of opportunities in the past are on him and he knows that.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

At the mid point of the season, he knew he couldn't run the whole offense.  I believe he understands why.  I also think he believes he can win the job next year based on a few things I have heard.  That's why I'm really not sure what he will do.  Some of the lack of opportunities in the past are on him and he knows that.

I agree with that. It just seems that now, with the portal, players may be more apt to jump to seemingly better opportunities rather than double down on effort to prove they are the guy. I hope Logan is the type that does the latter.

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree with that. It just seems that now, with the portal, players may be more apt to jump to seemingly better opportunities rather than double down on effort to prove they are the guy. I hope Logan is the type that does the latter.

Agree.  With continued effort, he appears to be a guy that can help us win games down the road when we need him.

I'm really excited about Casey. He's got a great feel for the pocket and great eye discipline, keeping his vision downfield and knowing when/where to progress if something isn't open.

His deep balls look like a glaring issue but that's the only thing about the kid from that hour of film that seems like it's a worry. 

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I'm really excited about Casey. He's got a great feel for the pocket and great eye discipline, keeping his vision downfield and knowing when/where to progress if something isn't open.

His deep balls look like a glaring issue but that's the only thing about the kid from that hour of film that seems like it's a worry. 

From the highlights I have seen, I liked his deep passes. He is able to put some touch on them and fall into the receivers catching area. I liked Martinez, but I thought one weakness he had was that his deep passes would have such a flat trajectory. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
32 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I will be honest I was not excited about him coming to Nebraska, but I watched the Texas tech, Oklahoma and Kansas games today and I am so impressed with him going through his reads, how he moves in the pocket especially patience and stepping up! If we can protect him he will do great!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, jamrinelli said:

I will be honest I was not excited about him coming to Nebraska, but I watched the Texas tech, Oklahoma and Kansas games today and I am so impressed with him going through his reads, how he moves in the pocket especially patience and stepping up! If we can protect him he will do great!

An area he can improve on is the deepest throws. He puts a fair amount of air under the balls. That's where he gets into trouble sometimes. Smart player though. Makes his reads well and makes quick, decisive decisions. Good maneuverability and decent quickness. It's adequate anyway. I like how he moves in the pocket too. Get it together O-Line! 

Wow, he is a great quarterback and a great catch. I wonder f he came for the opportunity, the NIL dollars already lined up for him, or some of both. I can see this portal and NIL continue to ruin college football. I wonder what the universities do when a big donor decides to pay a player through NIL RATHER than contribute to the University. This way a donor can see exactly what his $$$ are doing. I can see many of the big ones splitting between the U and directly to the players through NIL.

Either way, Caleb is a good catch.