Fred Hoiberg Receives Extension

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's odd they didn't announce this. This seems like the kind of thing they would want to publicize. 

I’m guessing they didn’t want to announce an extension when the AD was firing a bunch of employees during the beginning of the pandemic last year. Not a great look optically- same reason they pushed the football facility construction back a year.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I’m guessing they didn’t want to announce an extension when the AD was firing a bunch of employees during the beginning of the pandemic last year. Not a great look optically- same reason they pushed the football facility construction back a year.

Good point. The last couple of years are kind of a blur. Forgot about that timing.

5 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

The seem to have too many players who are more about "me" than "team".

I agree with this but I don’t think all hope is lost with Fred. It’s similar to Scott at this point- he needs to reinvent himself to win in a new league with new styles of opponents and new types of players. I don’t think Fred Hoiberg forgot how to coach basketball overnight- he’s still one of the better offensive minds in the college game IMO- but he needs to do some serious soul searching in the offseason and think about what is going to be needed to win in modern day basketball moving forward.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I agree with this but I don’t think all hope is lost with Fred. It’s similar to Scott at this point- he needs to reinvent himself to win in a new league with new styles of opponents and new types of players. I don’t think Fred Hoiberg forgot how to coach basketball overnight- he’s still one of the better offensive minds in the college game IMO- but he needs to do some serious soul searching in the offseason and think about what is going to be needed to win in modern day basketball moving forward.

Sort of.  But, there's a big difference between Frost's season this year and Fred's season this year.  Frosts teams were competitive in every single game they played in and I never remember a time in the season when I thought the team quit or had a "f#&% it" attitude towards doing what the coach wants them to do.  I'm starting to get that more and more with Fred's team.  I think it's clear that they don't believe in what he's trying to do.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sort of.  But, there's a big difference between Frost's season this year and Fred's season this year.  Frosts teams were competitive in every single game they played in and I never remember a time in the season when I thought the team quit or had a "f#&% it" attitude towards doing what the coach wants them to do.  I'm starting to get that more and more with Fred's team.  I think it's clear that they don't believe in what he's trying to do.

Yes and no- end of the day losing is losing and I don’t think Scott has forgotten how to coach either. But he’s clearly having to reinvent himself this offseason as evidenced by the staff turnover, hiring guys outside his circle, 10 transfer guys, etc.

Fred needs to look at his assistants and make a few decisions IMO. Gates works with the backcourt which is fairly redundant with Loenser’s experience. Add in that he is a holdover from the previous staff and he seems like an easy candidate to part with.

As much as I like Doc- I don’t know how you can justify keeping him as your sole defensive game planner at this point. Our defensive schemes are outdated, we don’t rebound, and we don’t guard the 3. I think we defend screens terribly and frankly we give up transition buckets with ease too. It’s not pretty.

Need some roster continuity this offseason from the guys that I’d expect to stick around like Andre, Wilcher, Edwards, etc. Walker and Verge will likely be gone plus Lakes, Trey, and Bryce (even though I think he should stay). Plug in holes with guys that truly fit schematically and maybe you can make a jump.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

but he needs to do some serious soul searching in the offseason and think about what is going to be needed to win in modern day basketball moving forward.

He is trying to play modern basketball, but most of the B1G is still playing 90's ball & the game is called like it's the 90's.  If they would truly call it like the NCAA wants them to with freedom of movement, most of the post players would foul out.  No one cuts through the lane without getting at least a hip check.

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

Yes and no- end of the day losing is losing and I don’t think Scott has forgotten how to coach either. But he’s clearly having to reinvent himself this offseason as evidenced by the staff turnover, hiring guys outside his circle, 10 transfer guys, etc.

Fred needs to look at his assistants and make a few decisions IMO. Gates works with the backcourt which is fairly redundant with Loenser’s experience. Add in that he is a holdover from the previous staff and he seems like an easy candidate to part with.

As much as I like Doc- I don’t know how you can justify keeping him as your sole defensive game planner at this point. Our defensive schemes are outdated, we don’t rebound, and we don’t guard the 3. I think we defend screens terribly and frankly we give up transition buckets with ease too. It’s not pretty.

Need some roster continuity this offseason from the guys that I’d expect to stick around like Andre, Wilcher, Edwards, etc. Walker and Verge will likely be gone plus Lakes, Trey, and Bryce (even though I think he should stay). Plug in holes with guys that truly fit schematically and maybe you can make a jump.

Verge, Lakes & Webster are gone for sure.  They have no eligibility left.  Mayen & Walker are 5th year juniors, so they are probably gone (Walker pretty much said as much this summer).  Trey is a 4th year junior & his return probably depends on Bryce's decision.  Wilcher & Edwards have already used their one-time "free" transfer so they are almost sure to be back.  Everyone else is pretty much a toss up.

• Plus1 1