Huskers land TAMU RB transfer Deondre Jackson

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I fail to see how anyone can make a good judgement call with our RBs because of how bad our O line was.

Also, didn't I read somewhere that people were speculating that this guy would be more of a full back?  Sorry if this question gets all the fullback lovers so excited they can't stand up at work.

I'm in office by myself. I think I'll take a few laps around the room with this bad boy!:corndance

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I fail to see how anyone can make a good judgement call with our RBs because of how bad our O line was.

Also, didn't I read somewhere that people were speculating that this guy would be more of a full back?  Sorry if this question gets all the fullback lovers so excited they can't stand up at work.

I would agree but just going off what we've seen.  Even when the blocking was there, there wasn't a whole lot to be overly impressed with.

38 minutes ago, Decked said:

The only way I see that as worthy of a take is for someone to leave (Stepp?)

would much rather have Ky Thomas or Ducker. Hope that means someone is transferring out. Lot of other ways I would’ve used that. 

Agreed - seems like at this point we have 2 RB roles, the do-it-all and the powerback. 3 if you want to count duck-R, but that seems like it's gone. We don't need 3 big backs, so I'm guessing Stepp and/or Yant are gone. Hope I'm wrong, competition brings out the best in everyone. But I don't see him as a fit doing the things Rahmir, Ervin, and Emmett Johnson can do. And is he better than Yant/Stepp at the rest?

I'm on board with a transfer RB but definitely agree they should be more versatile unless we know we're losing a big guy. Maybe the staff believes Yany, Stepp, or Jackson can be the do-it-all guy too, not sure. But only having 3 of those guys - one a true freshman and one coming off an ACL injury - isn't ideal. 

Honestly with Stepp’s injury history and the issues Yant has had with his weight, it makes sense to me. Take a tank of a kid with no notable injury history who has been through two years of college conditioning/routine and see what happens. 

If Yant comes in again weighing 260-270, this is our goal line/short yardage guy.

33 minutes ago, bisonwiches said:

If Yant comes in again weighing 260-270, this is our goal line/short yardage guy.

Ummmm....as long as he works on his footwork so he doesn't trip.

4 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

When you're tossing the ball around 50-60 plays per game like most think is going to happen not much need for a lot of RB's. Maybe he is an excellent pass protector out the backfield.

We won't be passing it 50-60 times per game.

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We won't be passing it 50-60 times per game.

Agree 100%.  NU had 69.4 offensive plays per game in 2021.  Even if the offense improves and that grows to 75 plays per game, Whipple isn't going to call 2/3 pass plays.  I would expect a run-pass ratio closer to 50-50, and NU averages at most 35-40 pass attempts per game, which would still be a lot.

One reason for more RB carries is the hope for a reduced reliance on the QB run game.  I would hope for 5-10 fewer QB carries per game, which would be spread to RB's under Whipple.

• Plus1 2