Huskers land TAMU RB transfer Deondre Jackson

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Also, didn't I read somewhere that people were speculating that this guy would be more of a full back?  Sorry if this question gets all the fullback lovers so excited they can't stand up at work.

I read that too. And it's okay--one of the perks of working from home. :D

EDIT: Apparently the server got excited and posted this same message four times over...

11 hours ago, admo said:

Every big run he had was a designed play to go inside.  But he took the ball and ran all the way around the offensive tackle, to avoid contact.  It worked, but you are right.  He avoids the contact and saw the bench.

Are you talking about the guy who "avoided contact" inside, and turned it into a huge gain outside, stiff-arming a defender and throwing him to the ground? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Are you talking about the guy who "avoided contact" inside, and turned it into a huge gain outside, stiff-arming a defender and throwing him to the ground? 

Sorry, I wasn't implying he avoided all contact.  My bad.  Maybe should have said "avoided pounding it inside on some plays".  And I agree, his huge runs were awesome, I have been a proponent of getting our backs more opportunities to run outside the tackle and in space.  Yant made some great plays with nothing there, and was probably tired of banging it inside.  Our guys have to run off the guard's hip most of their carries, and it's frustrating.  The previous coaching staff also ran the backs right up the middle as well.  I would love to see Yant and Rahmir get outside and see what they can do in space, because of the opportunity for bigger plays there are optimal.

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, admo said:

Sorry, I wasn't implying he avoided all contact.  My bad.  Maybe should have said "avoided pounding it inside on some plays".  And I agree, his huge runs were awesome, I have been a proponent of getting our backs more opportunities to run outside the tackle and in space.  Yant made some great plays with nothing there, and was probably tired of banging it inside.  Our guys have to run off the guard's hip most of their carries, and it's frustrating.  The previous coaching staff also ran the backs right up the middle as well.  I would love to see Yant and Rahmir get outside and see what they can do in space, because of the opportunity for bigger plays there are optimal.

There were many plays where they could have bounced it outside for a good gain but ran into the backs of our linemen instead.  Meanwhile, we would be getting slashed by opponents RBs bouncing outside for big gains.

This is where I HOPE new coaching at the position shows big improvement. You have to be able to coach at least some vision in those situations.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There were many plays where they could have bounced it outside for a good gain but ran into the backs of our linemen instead.  Meanwhile, we would be getting slashed by opponents RBs bouncing outside for big gains.

This is where I HOPE new coaching at the position shows big improvement. You have to be able to coach at least some vision in those situations.

I agree.  I'm also not a fan of inside-zone scheme (blocking and running). 

I feel better about the situation now. I totally ignored EJ — I finally saw his highlights, and I am very impressed. Thus I see a back who can separate from the rest. At least on video he seems to be as good as Allen. Thus the coaching staff perhaps wanted a power back like Jackson to be the the thunder and EJ the lightning. So maybe Allen is a much less a priority, and instead they want some DLs instead. 

17 hours ago, admo said:

Every big run he had was a designed play to go inside.  But he took the ball and ran all the way around the offensive tackle, to avoid contact.  It worked, but you are right.  He avoids the contact and saw the bench.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-position-review-running-back

Yant leads in yards after contact:

Former walk-on Jaquez Yant led the Huskers with 4.14 average yards after contact and had 194 yards in total. The 6-foot-2, 240-pound back's average ranked No. 13 in the Power Five of the backs with over 40 rushing attempts.

Yant is taller and more stout than Rahmir Johnson who stands at 5-10, 185 pounds. Johnson, who took the most snaps for the Huskers, averaged 2.49 yards after contact.

The best two running backs in the Big Ten, Michigan State's Kenneth Walker III and Wisconsin's Braelon Allen, are both 6-2 and built more like Yant. Based on PFF's stats, backs who are more stout, like Ohio State's TreVeyon Henderson and Michigan's Hassan Haskins, get more yards after contact.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, admo said:

Seemed to work okay for Mo Washington, and we would all take him back (on the field, not off it). 

• Thanks 1

There weren't a ton of positives from this year, but halfway through the season I thought we'd landed on a solid and Nebraska-worthy tandem of Rahmir and Yant, who we've got for three more years. 

The next step was to run any combination of them about 30 times a game.

That didn't happen. Now we're acting like we're at square one. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Decked said:

If this was a last minute thing by us that is super s#!tty to do to a kid. 

I don’t think he was that good but I mean what the hell 

Can't agree more.  If it was him, so be it.  BUT if NU did that, complete BS.  Callahan's twitter saying he was getting ready to move to Lincoln.  Looks like that it was on NU.  

Maybe Frost saw the rumors about him moving to FB and said he's got to go!:D