Survey on Memorial Stadium "Modernization"

Mavric

8 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't know how South Stadium wouldn't be a huge part of any potential upgrades. That side of the stadium is trash. Not to be too big of a homer, but if they need ideas on how to incorporate concessions and/or a party deck with viewing the game, they need to go take a look at the Viking's US Bank Stadium. That place is incredible. A ton of standing room viewing from the concession, bathroom, and lobby areas. Televisions everywhere. If they could start from scratch on the south side, I don't know why that wouldn't be possible.

I don't see them putting in any kind of beer garden or mezzanine where people can stand and watch the games.  That's prime spots for boxes and those bring in big money to the program.

18 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Agree.  When I go to games I always take kids along.  There are enough drunk people as it is but they typically sober up as the games goes.  With beer available there to keep the buzz going they will be a pain imo.  You are probably right though, long lines will likely limit consumption.

One of the questions asked if you would like a section of the stadium to be alcohol free, so they're definitely thinking about that. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

This is amazing.  As I'm reading and agreeing, I thought "he should see Globe Life Field".... and then you mentioned it.  That blew me away.   And yes it does have that mall feeling to it.  It's almost too nice and too comfortable for a sporting event. 

LOL! That’s incredible! It wasn’t a bad place to see a game by any stretch, but yes it just felt a little too pampered. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, jamesbond said:

A brand new stadium. 

Honestly, this isn't a terrible idea (aside from the fact that we don't have remotely the kind of money we'd need to build it).

If they could have built a stadium at Innovation Campus rather than the new track facility it could have been surrounded by parking, meaning a far better tailgating experience, plus ingress/egress would be easier since it's surrounded by four-lane roads that feed directly into the highway or town, and they could have used the former Memorial Stadium site for new education facilities. 

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Honestly, this isn't a terrible idea (aside from the fact that we don't have remotely the kind of money we'd need to build it).

If they could have built a stadium at Innovation Campus rather than the new track facility it could have been surrounded by parking, meaning a far better tailgating experience, plus ingress/egress would be easier since it's surrounded by four-lane roads that feed directly into the highway or town, and they could have used the former Memorial Stadium site for new education facilities. 

I like that the stadium is right down town.  Parking sucks.  But, I've been dealing with that for decades.  That's fine.  I like it that you can go to bars and restaurants right up till game time, walk to the game then back down town afterwards.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Fru said:

My requests are simple. Bucket seats and beer.

I’m assuredly in the minority here, but I kinda like the Game Day stadium struggle. To me, that’s part of the charm. I want my stadium to feel like a stadium. If I want to be perfectly comfortable with good WiFi and all that, I’ll stay home. I went to Globe Life Field for a Rangers game last fall, and while the stadium itself was new and impressive, it just kinda had a soulless presence. Felt less like going to a game and more like going to a mall. 

I've felt that way at baseball parks before.  However, I expect that there.  Baseball is a relaxing sport to go watch.  Kick back, enjoy some food and beer.  Enjoy the summer day.  It would suck to be sitting on benches like at Memorial stadium.  Well.....unless you're in the bleachers at wrigley.  Then it's a blast.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, jamesbond said:

I just feel that the stadium cannot be improved enough. The concourse is too cramped and there are not enough bathrooms. The seating is definitely sub-par. I don't think it is worth millions of dollars to continue to try to improve the dinosaur.

So, game day in Memorial is just so miserable that it's just not worth anything.

I beg to differ.

1 hour ago, jamesbond said:

I just feel that the stadium cannot be improved enough. The concourse is too cramped and there are not enough bathrooms. The seating is definitely sub-par.

Weird you feel that way because I read your complaints and I see that installing actual seats solves the seating issue, and solves the cramped concourse and bathroom issues by reducing capacity.

At the end of the day, going to a stadium to watch a sporting event will never be as comfortable as your home can be. But it offers a magic experience that only comes in that environment. If that's not for you it's fine, but the effort and the trouble are part of what make it a memorable and special experience for plenty of others.