Survey on Memorial Stadium "Modernization"

Mavric

The problem with all the premium frills and sky boxes etc is there is this ‘class’ system of sorts created and Husker sports were historically about the whole state and all of Nebraskans had something in common.  Everyday folks and fat cats alike.  The pride of ALL Nebraska.  Tickets were priced similarly.  I understand that some seats are more desirable than others and may command a higher price.  But required ‘donations’ are not donations at all.  A donation is not involuntary.  If you want, sell an all sports ticket package deal to generate more $$ and get seats sold for other sports. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The problem with all the premium frills and sky boxes etc is there is this ‘class’ system of sorts created and Husker sports were historically about the whole state and all of Nebraskans had something in common.  Everyday folks and fat cats alike.  The pride of ALL Nebraska.  Tickets were priced similarly.  I understand that some seats are more desirable than others and may command a higher price.  But required ‘donations’ are not donations at all.  A donation is not involuntary.  If you want, sell an all sports ticket package deal to generate more $$ and get seats sold for other sports. 

I can't disagree with you.  One thing I thought about when doing the survey was how they were concentrating so much on premium seats.  I'm sure it's because they bring in the most dollars to the AD.  However, my thought was, who creates the great atmosphere in Memorial stadium creating noise to make it hard on the other team or cheering our players to get them pumped up?  Is it the wealthy people who own sky boxes sitting behind glass windows?  Or, is it the common fan sitting in the stands on a hard plank with 12" of seat?

That seemed to rub me the wrong way.

• Thanks 1
On 1/18/2022 at 2:52 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I can't disagree with you.  One thing I thought about when doing the survey was how they were concentrating so much on premium seats.  I'm sure it's because they bring in the most dollars to the AD.  However, my thought was, who creates the great atmosphere in Memorial stadium creating noise to make it hard on the other team or cheering our players to get them pumped up?  Is it the wealthy people who own sky boxes sitting behind glass windows?  Or, is it the common fan sitting in the stands on a hard plank with 12" of seat?

I know who makes the least- the unfortunate suckers that buy tickets in rows 40-46, under the east side overhang.

Selling those should be illegal. should at the very least be called obstructed. 

On 1/18/2022 at 1:52 PM, BigRedBuster said:

It may run the "regular fans" the wrong way, but NU wouldn't be gathering interest if these club areas and other boxes weren't doing well at other universities. NU is trying to maximize the revenue from the stadium, and also make it a great spot for fans to enjoy a game. My family has season tickets in the 100s section of the East balcony, and while they aren't club seats, it's a great convenience to have bathrooms and concessions steps away from our seats, and it's a godsend to go inside when at a super cold or hot game. 

• Plus1 1

At the end of the day they know that they are probably going to reduce capacity and adding more premium seating accomplishes this without losing revenue. Premium seating will likely be good options for businesses that don’t want to shell out money for a skybox. Hopefully they can add some comfort for the common fan as well. I do think eventually more of this will turn it into an NFL atmosphere as the days of packed 90k stadiums slowly dwindle away. 

• Plus1 1
On 1/26/2022 at 6:33 PM, krc1995 said:

I know who makes the least- the unfortunate suckers that buy tickets in rows 40-46, under the east side overhang.

Selling those should be illegal. should at the very least be called obstructed. 

Oh my God yes. I have to be honest I have season tickets in the north end zone and I knew these seats existed but not that it was like that. A couple of years ago (2019 OSU) after Martinez threw his 3rd pick people started clearing out and a buddy of mine was in town came up from St. Louis for the game and texted me and had us to come sit with them over there. First of all those stairs are a disaster and I was not prepared for that view. It's a good thing we didn't care about watching the rest of the game at that point because you couldn't see the other half of the field. Granted we were talking and catching up for most of the time but it was impossible to follow the game without watching the little video screens. Absolutely unacceptable. I really admire anyone who has spent years foing to games or expecially having season tickets under there. If I had I would have had them come to us. There were plenty of open seats in our section too and you could actually see...... on second thought considering how the game went maybe not seeing was better.  Unfortunately I won't be going to any games for the foreseeable future. Where our seats are I can't handle the climb anymore. I was so happy when they announced that they were putting in escalators a couple of years ago. But then covid hit and that got pushed back andfrom what I can tell have been removed from the plans now.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:06 AM, Farms said:

I do think eventually more of this will turn it into an NFL atmosphere as the days of packed 90k stadiums slowly dwindle away. 

Nebraska already has a very NFL esque atmosphere compared to most college football experiences so there's not really much lost there.