Huskers Hire Byran Applewhite as Running Backs Coach

3 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Leave Dye in Oregon. Lets get Yant and  couple of these guys we got balling..  

We've got what we need now. They're just needing experience and development. 

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Dye is a much better player than Yant at the moment and it isn’t particularly close 

I like the physicality of Yant. He needs get out of his own way though and learn to be a much better pass blocker. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

6 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

In my way too early, kool aid filled practice clip evaluation—I’m thinking #23 is going to do some things.  
Now off to Huskers.com to see who that is. 

Anthony Grant.  Looks like he could be special.  Cool to see Coach Applewhite coaching him up like that. 

14 hours ago, runningblind said:

How about we do away with separating ourselves via "run the damn ball" and "throw the damn ball". Instead let's all be "win the damn game" people.

I think most of us already ARE win the damn game people.  Lol. Just don’t agree on how the team actually can find a way to do it!   Some of us just look at about 50 years of Husker fb and realize that we win a lot more often if we run the damn ball more and pass the damn ball less.  For me, personally, I enjoy the RBs and run play much more than the WRs and passing game.  It’s a personal preference though. But the 70s and last decade or so of passing offenses have struggled to offer much excitement or even real promise of greatness to come.

I base this upon the following perspective. Nebraska is different - like the song says - there is no place like Nebraska - and trying to recruit the very same athletes as most everybody else at the top of the game makes it that much harder to get separation.  The winningest programs tend to have built in recruiting and other advantages over NU.  
So, to me, DONU needs to take a different path and bring in athletes that can excel at different aspects of football than the vast majority.  In this way, I believe a true option based offense (circa 1980 to 2001) would give us, once again, a real advantage in both recruiting and on field play.  Almost nobody runs these schemes much and stopping a great option team is almost impossible for most teams without great defensive talent and depth and enough prep time.  It is true that fewer high schools run the option than yesteryear but great athletes can learn new skills.  Teaching a runner to pass the ball with precision is very hard. Being a great thrower of a fb or baseball seems more a trait you’re born with rather than a learned skill.  And while most great athletes can throw fairly well, to run the Frost spread passing system, your QB can’t be even an “average” grade D1 college QB.  There are only a dozen QBs across the entire country, it appears to me, that are nearly good enough to lead Neb to a big ten title.  Maybe less. 

But, I will be very happy if the Huskers can just get to the conference championship game - for now.  We have been so far from that the past decade it’s almost a pipe dream now.

This coming season should be a great indicator of whether a pass based Husker team can do it or not.   If we can’t average 4 to 5 TDs a game with this schedule and all the 3-4 star guys of offense, it will likely never happen.   I see Whipple as a very wise, experienced coach whose seen and done it all (both run and pass and mixed).   He will help Frost get all they can from this system.  

I will be very surprised if we run much old fashioned option, but I do expect he will at least try to establish and use a sound schemed run game as a substantial part of his offense.  This will give a good chance to win the games where our overall talent is as good or better than our opponents.  6-7 games certainly.  

Ideally, we need to get 175 yards or more per game from the RB position.  Another 40 from the QB would be awesome. Add about 230 passing yards and - 8 or 9 wins will be the results, assuming average or better STs and our defensive play of late.  Not a championship but a big first step in the right direction.   Even those numbers could get us a title IF we get 5 more first downs, 5 minutes more time of possession, and a one net improvement in the turnover margin per game.   Add a great kick/punt return game, and we’re in the playoff hunt.  Red zone will almost certainly be better with this offensive adjustment.

But even Whipple’s best offenses won’t get us to where Bama and OSU are imo.  This system will be a feast or famine deal depending largely on QB play.  

• Plus1 1