Game Result  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Northwestern single digit win
    • Northwestern double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/2022 at 06:32 PM

I was at the game today and it was the first one I’ve watched all season.  I’m more of a casual basketball fan.  Oh boy, what a bad team.  PBA is a great venue, but if they want to pack it full again, there needs to be a new coaching staff.  There’s nothing Hoiberg can do to change this in a season or two.  There’s teams that are unfortunate, or maybe just missing one or two aspects of the game, but this team has either just quit or is just plain bad.  They literally sucked at everything today.  Even Bryce McGowens looked disinterested and very ordinary today.  Cut your losses and bring in the beer to help ease the pain  (it’s advertised everywhere at PBA anyway) and also an up and coming young, energetic coach.  PBA, Lincoln and NU MBB need something to be excited about if they’re ever going to crawl out of the B1G cellar. 

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I was at the game today and it was the first one I’ve watched all season.  I’m more of a casual basketball fan.  Oh boy, what a bad team.  PBA is a great venue, but if they want to pack it full again, there needs to be a new coaching staff.  There’s nothing Hoiberg can do to change this in a season or two.  There’s teams that are unfortunate, or maybe just missing one or two aspects of the game, but this team has either just quit or is just plain bad.  They literally sucked at everything today.  Even Bryce McGowens looked disinterested and very ordinary today.  Cut your losses and bring in the beer to help ease the pain  (it’s advertised everywhere at PBA anyway) and also an up and coming young, energetic coach.  PBA, Lincoln and NU MBB need something to be excited about if they’re ever going to crawl out of the B1G cellar. 

That's the thing...I don't think anyone is asking for championships here...we're just asking for competence.  One a deez days alice...one a deez days...

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

While I don't think he is trying to lose, I would also imagine he doesn't care all that much at the moment.  I would not either.

I have coached teams that sucked before and me and the coaches would joke around about "just getting the season over" and s#!t like that.

I know this is going to sound awful, but it is what it has been.

It's an easy gig for coaches and players.  It's hype, hope and dreams for 8 months (Mar - Oct).  Filled with social media tweets of player images, and cute emoji's, all coming from the Husker Media Department, just to set you up.

The 9th month is the beginning of the season...November.  An easy 6 wins against weak non-con opponents.  The Media Department going wild - dropping images with emjoi's of Nebrasketball tweets. 

Month 10-12 is a reality check.  It's just 20 games, against conference opponents, and another season of losing ugly.  No big deal.

But hey! It's back to 8 months of hype, hope and dreams....! (and coaches getting paid!)

15 hours ago, Vizsla1 said:

I do not recall leaving. a Husker basketball game 8 minutes into the second half.  It was a hard game to watch/attend

My dad &I have been going to games for 40+ years.  We have never left a game early before yesterday.  We left at half time.  The team's effort was pitiful.  If they don't give a $h!+, I sure as hell don't either.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, admo said:

I know this is going to sound awful, but it is what it has been.

It's an easy gig for coaches and players.  It's hype, hope and dreams for 8 months (Mar - Oct).  Filled with social media tweets of player images, and cute emoji's, all coming from the Husker Media Department, just to set you up.

The 9th month is the beginning of the season...November.  An easy 6 wins against weak non-con opponents.  The Media Department going wild - dropping images with emjoi's of Nebrasketball tweets. 

Month 10-12 is a reality check.  It's just 20 games, against conference opponents, and another season of losing ugly.  No big deal.

But hey! It's back to 8 months of hype, hope and dreams....! (and coaches getting paid!)

Very true and these guys are not morons, they know a few games into the season (conference especially) if they suck or not, so it if starts off bad all they are doing is looking towards the conference tourney and hoping they catch fire, at least they have that small hope.

Think about it with MLB, those teams that suck and July hit and they are already out of it...but they still have sooooo many games left with no chance of postseason. 

We actually still lost the 2nd half somehow despite playing slightly better and getting more of their reserves. Lots of losses to choose from but this felt season defining. I figured we’d win this one and Minnesota and then you never know, maybe we rattle off another couple before the conference tourney.

I suppose we still could but at this point, I’d be more surprised with 2 or more conference wins than 0. Just so disappointing after the team had shown a lot of fight in the previous games.

56 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Felt like Shatel mentioned the NBA a lot in his article yesterday. Fred also left home for the NBA not long ago. Wouldn't be surprised if he is sick of this and took a Front Office job or Asst Coach job in the league, and we are spared a buyout. 

That would seem to be a preferred outcome; everybody gets out from under without the trappings of a messy divorce. 

Maybe this is a dumb question because I'm just a dumb fan, but how deep do the Athletic Dept's pockets really go? Could they really handle buying out Fred and potentially Frost in the same year? Not to mention with the money being thrown at coaches these days, we'd likely have to pony up for their respective replacements.

I honestly think this team has talent. There are several players that I like & with more time can be really good players in the B1G. 

I think most of the problems start with Verge.  He doesn't fit Hoiberg's preferred offensive system, nor does he fit the system played in the B1G. He basically doesn't play defense unless he's going for steals.  He takes horrible shots and is a black hole with the ball.

If Hoiberg comes back next season, he needs to find a player that can run the offense & isn't worried about "getting mine".  Typically, that would be a point guard, but a "point forward" would work too.

40 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I honestly think this team has talent. There are several players that I like & with more time can be really good players in the B1G. 

I think most of the problems start with Verge.  He doesn't fit Hoiberg's preferred offensive system, nor does he fit the system played in the B1G. He basically doesn't play defense unless he's going for steals.  He takes horrible shots and is a black hole with the ball.

If Hoiberg comes back next season, he needs to find a player that can run the offense & isn't worried about "getting mine".  Typically, that would be a point guard, but a "point forward" would work too.

Verge is the #1 problem. 

The #2 problem is that Fred has no answer for how to replace him on the floor. 

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

I mean ... the game Verge was out we scored our fewest points in our last 11 games against a middle-of-the-road opponent.

He has his issues but I think he probably gets more blame than he deserves.  By far our biggest issue is lack of discipline.  He contributes (or is allowed to contribute) to that but he is far from the only one.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He has his issues but I think he probably gets more blame than he deserves.  By far our biggest issue is lack of discipline.  He contributes (or is allowed to contribute) to that but he is far from the only one.

Fair or unfair, however, point guard is the leader of the offense and therefor held to a higher standard. Much like a QB making poor decisions when he possesses the ball each and every time up the court, you just HAVE to have leadership there and you HAVE to have trust and player buy in. You can't get that with a guy like Verge, too many let downs and break downs far too often. A more consistent team player there and you have a much better product on the court. I am sure Fred thought he could break Verge of his bad habits and bask in the glow of all of the spectacular tools he brings to the table, but McGowen's going down like he did left any ability at putting together a better line up out there in the trash.

I have a good buddy who is an ASU grad. He told me back in October, "Good luck with Verge. He will probably win you some games but he will lose you so many more."  I hate that I sit here in February and have to give it to him, he nailed everything but the win games part.