Nebraska lands Chubba Purdy

Nebraska adds Florida State transfer QB Chubba Purdy

n4dxfhcskvlgw45tcalb
Sean Callahan • HuskerOnline
Publisher

Nebraska has appeared to pull it off.

Many people questioned the idea of being able to convince two high-profile transfer portal quarterbacks to come to Lincoln, but the Huskers have successfully done it.

After a weekend official visit to Lincoln with his family, former four-star Florida State quarterback 

picked the Huskers over an offer from Oklahoma.

Excited and Honored to be committed to The University of Nebraska! #GBR pic.twitter.com/1EViZJKY1K

— Chubba Purdy (@chubbapurdy) January 17, 2022

"They were telling me I could just come in there and compete with the rest of the quarterbacks and that they've got some good talent coming in," Purdy told HuskerOnline on Sunday. "I've known Coach Whipple for a couple years now.

"He recruited me in high school and once I hit the portal he started recruiting me as well. So, we have a pretty good relationship."

He will join former four-star Texas quarterback 

in Lincoln, and compete for the starting job in 2022 under new Husker offensive coordinator Mark Whipple.

Thompson comes to NU with two years to play two, while Purdy has four years to play four. It's an ideal set-up for Whipple to have two fresh arms to work with, along with current scholarship quarterbacks 

,   and  .

All five scholarship quarterbacks are also now on campus, as spring practice opens up on Feb. 28, with the Red-White spring game taking place on Apr. 9.

While at Florida State, Purdy was Mike Norvell's hand-picked quarterback in the class of 2020, as they dropped now Georgia Tech signal-caller 

in favor of him. Before committing to Norvell at FSU, Purdy was originally a Louisville recruit.

Purdy suffered a collarbone injury in 2020 during Fall Camp at Florida State, but still returned to the field that year and saw 102 snaps of action completing 27-of-53 passes for 219 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He also carried the ball five times for 78 yards.

In 2021, Purdy saw 17 snaps vs. UMass and appeared to be in a position to see time later in the season. He instead surprisingly entered the transfer portal on Nov. 4.

The one real common connection for Purdy to Nebraska was Whipple. Not only has Whipple already recruited him, he too is from the Phoenix area. Whipple keeps his permanent residence in Scottsdale. Purdy played his high school football in nearby Gilbert.

Whipple targeted Purdy while at Pittsburgh, and in fact conducted an in-home visit with him after he interviewed with Scott Frost for the offensive coordinator job on Dec. 5. He was announced at NU's new OC on Dec. 8.

Purdy is also the younger brother of former Iowa State quarterback 

, who recently declared for the NFL draft after a successful career in Ames under head coach Matt Campbell.
  • Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2

1 minute ago, admo said:

Awesome!

QB1 - Casey Thompson

QB2 - Purdy & Smothers (will compete for it)

Great QB room and QB coach (Whipple)

Or:

QB 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Haarberg) are all thrown into a pot in the spring and fall camp and the best one comes out the starter.

I don't believe anyone has been crowned the starter yet.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 5
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Or:

QB 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Haarberg) are all thrown into a pot in the spring and fall camp and the best one comes out the starter.

I don't believe anyone has been crowned the starter yet.

If you would like to wait until the spring game to have a better understanding, that's fine.  Regarding QB2, 3 and 4...It's nothing personal.

• Oh Yeah! 2

Just now, Dogs In A Pile said:

Hopefully they there will be a competition between ALL the QB's and there isn't a predetermined starter already.

Of course there will be competition.  Cream rises to the top.  Casey is the best in the room.  That's my opinion, and perhaps many analyst as well.

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, admo said:

Of course there will be competition.  Cream rises to the top.  Casey is the best in the room.  That's my opinion, and perhaps many analyst as well.

Not sure how this differs from my post above.  There will be a competition and of course the "cream rises to the top".  That's basically what I was saying.  And, that happens when you have a good QB coach.  Which I think we do now.  That very well could be Casey winning the starting job.  But, it's not determined yet and that will be determined in spring and fall camp.

I'm very glad there are other talented QBs competing with him.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Gonna be interesting for sure.  Purdy appears to have rushed more in HS and in college.  I like that.  I don't want a QB to have to run.  I want one that can.  Both seem to be in the "can" category.  Now develop the OL, WR, and RB room and hopefully they won't have to be the leading rusher for the 4th year in a row.  

Don't know if either wants to "sit behind the other guy", but as history shows, QB1 won't stay healthy all season.  I'm guessing Whip will have guys ready so if a QB gets a broken jaw, high ankle sprain, torn hammy, etc #2 will slide in.  

Bottom line if we have to throw it 50 times a game or run 50 times a game, just win baby.  Maybe we hit the lottery and will have an OC and the team that can do either with success when needed.