Nebraska lands Chubba Purdy

1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

There is no way they got Thompson telling him he wasn't guaranteed to start. 

There is also no way they got Purdy without telling him he would one day start. Thompson for a year and then it's the Chubba show. 

Exactly..the only kicker to Chubba was likely Frost communicating, "look if Thompson struggles you are in....cause I don't have a next year if he struggles and we (I) keep playing him."

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

If I am the staff, I am telling Smothers he is a WR...he would thank me (the staff) in the end (NFL opportunity).

His dad was politicking for another transfer to check out NU shortly after the season ended, if there’s a niche role to be played then hopefully he would see it out to fill the void. They seem like football junkie type of family, maybe the NFL or major playing time isn’t the allure. 

I see the props towards Thompson.  He has played a full season at Texas and did well despite having a pretty bad injury to his throwing hand.  Smothers has just as much playing time as Chubba.  He has played against B1G competition and was also a 4* and recruited by Ole Miss and Ohio St. I don't know why with a new OC/QB coach and his rankings, the other 2 are already the designated starters.  What are the chances that Smothers starts game 1?  If not, was he simply a complete miss by the staff related to his recruiting?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I see the props towards Thompson.  He has played a full season at Texas and did well despite having a pretty bad injury to his throwing hand.  Smothers has just as much playing time as Chubba.  He has played against B1G competition and was also a 4* and recruited by Ole Miss and Ohio St. I don't know why with a new OC/QB coach and his rankings, the other 2 are already the designated starters.  What are the chances that Smothers starts game 1?  If not, was he simply a complete miss by the staff related to his recruiting?

I think it's very slim chance that Smother is still here in the fall.  I could be wrong, but IMO Smothers was recruited for an offensive system that Frost was already trying to move away from with the recruitments of Haarberg and Torres (taller, not as fast QB's).  Frost wanted to have a QB who could run and got enamored with the speed and athleticism of McCaffrey and Smothers.  After 2-3 years of seeing his QB's get beat up and not be effective enough passers, Frost began to look at bigger QB's who could stay in the pocket more.  While Thompson and Purdy aren't big, tall QB's, they do seem to be better pocket passers than Smothers.    

• Plus1 2