Nebraska lands Chubba Purdy

They paid alot of NIL money to bring Thompson in so it would be hard to bench him. I think Chubba's health progressed faster than expected and will lead to a very interesting fall camp. I like the fact that Thompson is experienced and watching his film, the dude is an "all in" type of player. I like that mind set and Thompson isn't going to slide a yard short on 3rd down, probably not on 2nd. He has heart... I can respect that and support that. Hard as hell to root for one over the other really. Hopefully, both get playing time. (even if one is in mop up)!!

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Frazier, Berringer. 2.0

?   Surely you’re not suggesting we have two QBs in the mold and abilities of those two?  You’re saying - if only?  Cause none are anywhere near a Frazier and Brook was on a much higher level than any of the currents at this point.  If we had Berringer, a 6 win season would be highly likely and healthy all year, 8-9 is possible, IF the play calling and scheme shifted radically.  Lol.  

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

As Wilson points out an interesting choice of words by Chubba.  And then an eye raising reply (at least to me) by Sipple.

Please, no, just stop.  A Keller/Ganz discussion DOES NOT apply.

There are NO interesting choices of words from Purdy.  

Coaches are NOT forcing Thompson....... with "majority of locker room liking Smothers/Purdy".........(notice the sentence ends right there? and does not add specifics.... like...  "as a backup, as a person, as a role model....as a starter.... as a teammate" etc)

This is BS.  Casey was brought here to be the man THIS year.  Purdy was brought here as a backup, but FUTURE candidate for starting someday.  Thompson is proven and ready to lead the offense this year.  Period.  Completely different levels of talent and experience.  No questions or disputes or discussions or controversies are possible.  Unless you feel you must start one.....from a keyboard.

Bottom line, Casey Thompson is the best quarterback on the team, and we will soon be glad and grateful he is.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

?   Surely you’re not suggesting we have two QBs in the mold and abilities of those two?  You’re saying - if only?  Cause none are anywhere near a Frazier and Brook was on a much higher level than any of the currents at this point.  If we had Berringer, a 6 win season would be highly likely and healthy all year, 8-9 is possible, IF the play calling and scheme shifted radically.  Lol.  

*sigh* 

Whether or not you agree the comparison is apt, it was clearly about the situation, not talent levels. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Undone said:

I personally think Purdy's total ceiling is way higher than Thompson's in terms of what he can do to lead an offense once he's fully developed as a QB. I think he's the most talented QB on the roster (in terms of just raw, untapped talent) and I also think he's the kind of quarterback that would do the most damage in the B1G.

...but he's a redshirt freshman.

If he transfers it will seriously be a huge hit to any momentum we may be building.

From what?  Did he throw 5 touchdowns in a college game, ever?  No.  How about 3 times? No.  How about against the Oklahoma Sooners?  No.

How is Purdy THE MOST TALENETED QB on the roster then?  

Purdy could be a good-to-great one some day.  We would all love that.  But there is no recent evidence to back that up... vs another QB that has played some amazing games prior to an injured thumb.  Don't worry tho... the season is about to begin soon, and everyone will be happy with CT.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

*sigh* 

Whether or not you agree the comparison is apt, it was clearly about the situation, not talent levels. 

Sigh.  The situation is not even close either.  Behind Brook and Tommie was lowly Matt T.  We’ve got loads more talent that back then but all are distant 3rds.  We needed two QBs nearly every year since Devaney era basically and not unusual to have a third QB get some crunch time snaps too.  

We are in potentially the best QB position in decades but it’s purely potential.  Heck, Adrian had tremendous potential but just failed to reach it.  His team needed it but never happened.   2022 we have multiple guys with as good or better potential than Adrian.  There is real hope but we are about 6-8 weeks from knowing. 

The last time we saw Chubba Purdy play significant snaps he was completing 50 percent of his passes for 4.13 yards per attempt against ACC competition. I have no idea if/how much he's improved or how camp will go but Thompson (and Smothers) have been significantly better than him when asked to play actual football on a field instead of combine numbers or 7 on 7. 

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Put away your microscope, I just meant we have a QB battle. It was hyperbole 

14 hours ago, admo said:

From what?  Did he throw 5 touchdowns in a college game, ever?  No.  How about 3 times? No.  How about against the Oklahoma Sooners?  No.

How is Purdy THE MOST TALENETED QB on the roster then?  

Purdy could be a good-to-great one some day.  We would all love that.  But there is no recent evidence to back that up... vs another QB that has played some amazing games prior to an injured thumb.  Don't worry tho... the season is about to begin soon, and everyone will be happy with CT.

You can be the guy with the most potential on the team but not yet be ready to start. I don't think anything I wrote was hard to understand.   :)

Thompson will be the starter because he's a junior with playing experience; that part is obvious.

But I think Purdy has the higher potential for his college career. He's got a stronger build, a stronger arm, and he's been trained up as more of a pure passer (that can also run).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Undone said:

You can be the guy with the most potential on the team but not yet be ready to start. I don't think anything I wrote was hard to understand.   :)

Thompson will be the starter because he's a junior with playing experience; that part is obvious.

But I think Purdy has the higher potential for his college career. He's got a stronger build, a stronger arm, and he's been trained up as more of a pure passer (that can also run).

Thanks.  I am very happy that we have CT, Chubba Purdy and Smothers. 

I really like the addition of Whipple, MJ and Applewhite as well. I feel the talent and depth at QB/WR/RB will be prepared and ready for a good year. Should see a lot of different players get opportunity the first 3 games, which is also fantastic.