Nebraska lands Chubba Purdy

12 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Wouldn’t surprise me to see TWO of our QBs enter the portal following spring ball, not just one. I could see Smothers doing well at a school like UAB. 

Yeah, I just don't see teams being able to keep more than 3 scholarship QBs at this point. I don't think we take Thompson if we don't expect him to be the guy, and he blocks Smothers for 2 of his 3 potential years. Then you have Haarberg, Torres, and Purdy all with 4 years to play (I think), so something's got to give there. Maybe not this year, but by the end of next year one of those 3 is gone. 

Seeing how I can't recall the last time we went through a season without some kind of injury to the qb spot, the more the merrier.

Off the top of my head, I think maybe armstrongs 2nd year he went every game without an injury and other than that, maybe all the way back to a ganz year?  Point being, unless whipple truly shifts this offense to a pocket centric qb, both qbs stand a very high chance of playing time and starting games.

4 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't care which of the QBs wins the job, though I am pulling for Haarberg. 

I just don't want to see a split in the locker room again like we had with Martinez and McCaffery, that would be very detrimental given that roster churn has probably already deeply affected team unity.

I can't imagine a scenario where we bring in Thompson and Purdy and Haarberg starts.  I can't imagine he is better than 4th string if Smothers stays, 3rd if he leaves.  

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't care which of the QBs wins the job, though I am pulling for Haarberg. 

I just don't want to see a split in the locker room again like we had with Martinez and McCaffery, that would be very detrimental given that roster churn has probably already deeply affected team unity.

It’s probably time we quit worrying about team unity or roster churn. The Portal and NIL has changed the game, literally. Teams are going to have to figure out how to get it done in the new environment.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I can't imagine a scenario where we bring in Thompson and Purdy and Haarberg starts.  I can't imagine he is better than 4th string if Smothers stays, 3rd if he leaves.  

Smothers' & Haarberg's development (or lack thereof) is probably a big reason why Frost & Whipple are bringing in both Thompson and Purdy.  If Frost were confident about those 2 QB's and running Whipple's offense, then NU wouldn't have spent so much time, energy, and NIL $ to bring in both players.

• Plus1 5

Lets score some points making opportunities for our backup QB's to have lots of in game experiences!

Listening to Thompson, it seems the plan is centered around two years. I can then see Haarberg challenging Purdy if he can get his accuracy issues taken care of. We haven't had much competition going on between the quarterbacks for a while which should help now with this group. Maybe too they've needed an attitude adjustment about as much as the O-line has.  

There must be some donors stepping up to the plate and paying some pretty hefty NIL fees. I cannot imagine another reason why so many QB's would come in through the portal. Hopefully one of these will get the team back on track. I see Scott Frost as a bit like a duck. He looks pretty calm from what you can see, but below the water line he is paddling like a mofo. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/18/2022 at 2:29 PM, JJ Husker said:

It’s probably time we quit worrying about team unity or roster churn. The Portal and NIL has changed the game, literally. Teams are going to have to figure out how to get it done in the new environment.

Also the team unity of a 3-9 team is probably the last thing we should be worried about maintaining.   I view the roster shakeups as a positive. 

• Plus1 3

Nothing against AM but I think the game was just too much for him at times.  When AM had a lead like what he did in the NW game he is calm and he can really get hot but AM also needs a 2td bumper in order to really get in gear and then its like he could do no wrong. But you ask him to once again be perfect and have a game winning drive and the pressure I think was just to much and clouded his thought process and vision. 

I don't see that happening with Casey, I think that with his background he is much more used to having to perform against better talent at a younger age so his floor is hirer that AMs ceiling.